JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Before you make any decisions make sure and take your dog to meet the new dog to make sure they are compatible with each.

+1. We did this with all of our rescue dogs. We've gotten lucky and all of them have gotten along wonderfully. All of our pets Are family and here to stay. We had a rough time with one of our adopted dogs, but he pulled thru and became the best dog we've ever owned.

cap.jpg

This guy made me adopt him!;)

Like oknow said, make sure you can introduce any new dog to your current one to make sure they get along.

Puppies aren't that hard to house break, but do take some time to work with. Which can pay off depending on how well the human does their job, LOL. Older dogs may have some baggage, as mentioned before some of it can be dealt with and some of it cannot. Size may not be a big deal as much as disposition, so don't necessarily rule out a bigger dog. Females are a pretty good way to go.

We lost a cat and two dogs in about a year and a half. They were all about 16 years old and it was a pretty tough time. Just old and time had come to let them go, and I buried all of them on our property close to each other. Man, it still hurts like hell. Afterward, I tore down all our fencing and swore never again. Well, two years later I spy the above character on the local shelter webpage. Never thought he'd last very long, kept going back and he was still there. He was at the shelter for 2 1/2 months, the shelter staff had him all wrong. That's probably why he was there for so long.

He's a 7 year old Bull Terrier, 200 pounds of personality packed into a 50 pound package. We have always had pound dogs and have had good success with them. I think it comes down to people's abilities to appropriately assess a dog and not be swayed by sheer emotion. I went to the shelter and evaluated him, then the next day my wife and I went. She agreed with my assessment and we sprung him outta there.

Once we got him away from the shelter people, he was perfectly fine. Great on a leash, Mr. snuggle guy, has been great with friends we have had to the house, doesn't particularly care what other dogs are doing, likes truck rides, doesn't wander off so a fence may not be needed, has become a real part of mine and my wife's life.

Good luck Joe, I think when the time is right you and your wife will make the right decision and do a great job.

Last Edited:
Damn you all I tried looking around online and got sucked into the same bait and switch schemes. As a result, I decided to bypass all of that and just went to critter cabana and now have a meet and greet setup with a 12 week old blue heeler and my Gracie.

My wife didn't want to go and then she did.

I told her it was the pet shopping equivalent of "Just the tip" and she was on board.

My wife and I looked for months before finding our dog at the Oregon humane society. We looked at 8 different shelters and online.
We knew we wanted to adopt a shelter dog, and knew shelter dogs have their good and bad. We were living in an apt so they had certain breeds that were a no go.
The first dog we wanted was a 1mth old puppy that was a german shepard/rottweiler mix.
We got axed by the apt on her.

Then we walked through the humane society again and all the dogs are barking and going ape shet. Except one.
One dog was just sitting real calm, not a peep.

We knew that was our dog. She was 4mths, a black lab, great dane, and pitbull/boxer mix.

She has been the best dog. So sweet and gentile, but she is also intimidating.
She doesn't do well with other dogs. Very leash aggressive so she stays home pinned up mostly. But sweet as can be with our kids. Smart dog, and loyal as can be.

I think the only way to go if getting a pound dog is getting them young.
Our dog still has some trauma issues from her time before the shelter and at the shelter, but she's been the best dog.
She came in the pound with a litter of puppies and she was the last one adopted, so she still has some major anxiety issues when we leave.

I should admit I don't have the personality to be a foster or adoptive parent for kids - wish I could be but I know that's not for me.

Pets at our house, like many or you, are family and pampered.

Have had a dog a majority of my life and have a good track record for training and consistency so a puppy is where I'm leaning when the time comes. (Down the road a bit).

I might be able to stagger hours with my wife so the dogs are alone for shorter periods to start with - it's all a bunch of what ifs right now.

My neighbor, no wait, "The guy who lives next door", brought home a rescue dog. On of those little ones, you know, the ones that apparently can't be trained? Dude can't find a way to take care of his yard, but got a dog. Now I can't go out side without the damned thing barking at me. Same guy that brought home some old, sick cat that crapped on my lawn a bunch. Don't be that guy.

Did not go for the puppy. Gracie was not amused by the attempt. Also, in hindsight, the older dog suits me better. Now that we're open to it though, something will happen, it always does.

Humane society or shelter

Puppies can perpetuate the puppy mill mentality.

Dogs know when they have been rescued, my cat did and my wife's cat is retarded so she only looks at you cross eyed.

Well, first day alone for my buddy for some time and he was bonkers to see me lol.

We played for awhile and then I took him on a short ride.

After that he ate and has been getting constant attention.

I may have missed him as much as he did me lol.

I've always crate trained my dogs and this one has very good bladder control so for now all is fine.

Maybe in the fall or next spring - I have no idea, I'm sure it will happen when and how it is supposed too.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with a "used" dog, but the Humane Society can kiss my bare white, well, you know. The one time I tried to "adopt", at great expense, a pup from them it all went south at the "discretion" of a gal that wasn't probably of legal age... F- that place.
We did bring home a dog from the county shelter. He was a nice dog, but not a good fit with our smaller female and we had to take him back. I did re-home a younger dog from a friend many years ago and she turned out great.
I believe I would be more apt to get a dog from a shelter if I didn't have one at home already.
My sister hasn't ever raised a puppy, only has one dog at a time and has had fantastic "used" dogs. In fact, I'd like to steal her newest one. He's a sweetie.

Raising a pup is a total pain in the butt, but that's what I resorted to, just because it's what has worked for me in the past. I suppose that's what I'll do when the time comes again. Fortunately my newest Lab/Golden mix isn't yet three years old and hopefully will live a long life.

Was just at a friends using his updated PC to amend our taxes before sending them off and he tells me the rescue dog his ex has that he dog sits for has never had any issues with pets or people.

His kids GF mom came over and held out her hand to be sniffed and the dog bit down on her hand.

Left her standing there bleeding a lot and had to have stitches it was bad enough.

Stories like that and @v0lcom13sn0w story worries me.

My dog is already aggressive to other dogs so it's not so much about it being a shelter dog as it is about my dog being tolerant. I think a puppy would have a better chance of keeping him from being intimidated then an older dog.

I'm months away if not a year from this so it's just touching the water with a toe right now.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and stories.

My sister-in-law is somewhat housebroken (but your rose bushes may be in jeoapardy).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top