JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is still just the start of an idea so it's not going to happen tomorrow but my wife and I are just now starting to talk about another dog.

Loosing our last one is still remarkably painful with the way it went, the short amount time we knew she was sick and she was the life of the house - silly and lovey (I had a painful dream about her being back with us last night and it still stings after a full year).

Most important is our last remaining dog. He is a Lhasa and 13. Hard of hearing and short on vision but going strong still.

We got him for our aging rot/lab and she made it too 14, so I'm hoping the Lhasa makes it to 16-17 as long as he stays healthy.

Unfortunately, he is very people friendly and super not dog friendly, as well as he is my shadow and I would be taking on a large part of a new dogs training.

So I think a puppy would be better received but with that comes potty training etc and they will be home 6-7 hours a day.

A shelter dog with the right disposition could work out but the small ones go fast I think and I don't like being forced into hasty desicions.

Also it would need to be female and under 25 lbs and have hair, not fur if possible.

So that's my situation, everything is subjective but opinions are welcome if you'd care to share your thoughts.

Again this is months away but we keep going back and forth.

Thanks!

Joe

puppy.

i will never own a rescue dog. every one ive encountered has had a rough past which shows in their behavior. had a buddys dog bite a neighbor then drag them off of their bicycle. end of that dog. ive been bitten by my mother in laws dog for no reason, we put an end to my son and that dog having contact but one time he "got out" and nipped at my son. that dog does what it wants because my mother in law lets him win OR its because he was abused by the previous owner... ha, take your pick. theres no discipline unless putting him outside is somehow discipline.

enough story. IMO get a puppy.

Hey Joe,

I am not sure how much help I can be. I have a terrible habit of connecting with my dogs to the point it's like losing a part of me when they pass.

I lost my buddy 3 years ago now and still have trouble seeing and swallowing when I think of him. :oops:

I have been "dog sitting" for my father the last month and it's been nice having a dog around again, and in this case a 2 year old house trained dog was really nice.

My dog I lost 3 years ago was a rescue dog. I got him as a puppy, and I understand the work that goes into that. I think you have to consider how much someone will be around with the dog. If they are alone 6 or 7 hours a day, it's going to be difficult to potty train them. You might be better off getting a more established dog if that's the case.

puppy.

i will never own a rescue dog. every one ive encountered has had a rough past which shows in their behavior. had a buddys dog bite a neighbor then drag them off of their bicycle. end of that dog. ive been bitten by my mother in laws dog for no reason, we put an end to my son and that dog having contact but one time he "got out" and nipped at my son. that dog does what it wants because my mother in law lets him win OR its because he was abused by the previous owner... ha, take your pick. theres no discipline unless putting him outside is somehow discipline.

enough story. IMO get a puppy.

I remember those posts:eek:

Hey Joe,

I am not sure how much help I can be. I have a terrible habit of connecting with my dogs to the point it's like losing a part of me when they pass.

I lost my buddy 3 years ago now and still have trouble seeing and swallowing when I think of him. :oops:

I have been "dog sitting" for my father the last month and it's been nice having a dog around again, and in this case a 2 year old house trained dog was really nice.

My dog I lost 3 years ago was a rescue dog. I got him as a puppy, and I understand the work that goes into that. I think you have to consider how much someone will be around with the dog. If they are alone 6 or 7 hours a day, it's going to be difficult to potty train them. You might be better off getting a more established dog if that's the case.

I also get too attached to my pets, I dealt with my grandparents dying last year better then I took our youngest dogs passing. I keep a ton of pics of her ok my phone and have copied them but while I can't seem to take them off, I skip pass then quickly when looking for something or it'll. Ring me down if I think about it too much.

I'd be better if so could find a 1 year old re homed dog that I knew the history of then the pound - like I said my current dog can be very aggressive to other dogs depending on the situation.

He is crate trained and I would want to start a puppy gated in the kitchen and train it to go on the inside pads to start. Give it some room to play and move but that's the best I can think of for that.

Thanks guys Im just looking for ideas and everything helps.

I just had to put down my rescue dog who I've had for 15 years, he was the best dog I've ever owned. As long as you take your time and choose a dog wisely there are some amazing rescue dogs to be had :s0116:

Our last dog was a German Shepherd/Lab mix we got when she was 3 years old. Original owner passed away and two different people tried to take care of her but couldn't, mainly because they lived in apartments.

She definitely had issues. I really think she was terrified of being taken somewhere and left because it had happened twice before. It really wasn't too bad, but it was difficult take her in a vehicle for anything more than a quick local trip around town. She was really happy when we got back to the house. She stuck close to us and did not want to socialize with other dogs or people.

Once she got comfortable in our home, she was the most loving dog. My kids grew up with her as part of the family. She lived to over 17 years old, pretty good for a larger dog. She left us many happy memories. To this day I tear up when I think of her.

Was just at a friends using his updated PC to amend our taxes before sending them off and he tells me the rescue dog his ex has that he dog sits for has never had any issues with pets or people.

His kids GF mom came over and held out her hand to be sniffed and the dog bit down on her hand.

Left her standing there bleeding a lot and had to have stitches it was bad enough.

Stories like that and @v0lcom13sn0w story worries me.

My dog is already aggressive to other dogs so it's not so much about it being a shelter dog as it is about my dog being tolerant. I think a puppy would have a better chance of keeping him from being intimidated then an older dog.

I'm months away if not a year from this so it's just touching the water with a toe right now.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and stories.

My dogs too smart for his own good with an inflated ego and has chased a mastif down the street.

Stupid Lhasa has no fear and might get hurt with a younger dog his size.

Our last 5 dogs have been adopted. The first was from a local pound. She had some issues but I believe it was more from her breed than previous owners. Our last 4 dogs have been smaller dogs we've gotten from a rescue that a friend of my wife is involed with. They have all been great dogs, one of them being the best dog I've ever had. We recently got a puppy from the rescue. His mom was pregnant when she was rescued and the foster raised the puppys till they were old enough to be adopted.

Our last 5 dogs have been adopted. The first was from a local pound. She had some issues but I believe it was more from her breed than previous owners. Our last 4 dogs have been smaller dogs we've gotten from a rescue that a friend of my wife is involed with. They have all been great dogs, one of them being the best dog I've ever had. We recently got a puppy from the rescue. His mom was pregnant when she was rescued and the foster raised the puppys till they were old enough to be adopted.

If I could find a house broken puppy from a shelter that would be ideal.

I just have always been a - go look and observe the litter and see what kind of personalities the puppy's have. That's how the last 3 dogs were added to our family and all 3 were perfect with different personalities and meshed real well with the other animals and us.

My little Gracie came from a small private shelter (PAWS in West Linn). She spent her first three years in a box at a puppy mill. After the old lady died they found her and 10 others in the house in crates. The socialized the dogs for a month and put them in foster homes, where Gracie promptly got away and spent the next 7 months feral in the wilds of West Linn living on other peoples garbage, roadkill, whatever. She's a mini heeler, god awful fast. Looks like a coyote with a bob tail. She's been with us for a year+ now. Very timid, a little damaged, and protective of her humans. Every month she's different and a little more out of her shell.

When we first got her she would go to ground when she was on a sidewalk by a road. Just terrified. Now we walk her around downtown. Still a little nervous, but better.

Would not trade her for anything. I firmly believe she found us.

Lots of reasons why, but I prefer the small shelters to look for dogs.

-Dean

yep that dog needs to disappear
If I could find a house broken puppy from a shelter that would be ideal.

I just have always been a - go look and observe the litter and see what kind of personalities the puppy's have. That's how the last 3 dogs were added to our family and all 3 were perfect with different personalities and meshed real well with the other animals and us.

We got very lucky with our puppy. He's 18 weeks old, 1/2 Australian Shepperd & 1/2 Terrier, very smart and picks things up very quickly. He potty trained very easily and I'm working on obedience training with him.

To me dogs are like people we all have some baggage and some are nuts. The majority of people when shown kindness and respect will respond with same and for those that do not understand this logic a bit of force may need to be applied. I think the world of my dogs but there are times that they need to understand certain behavior is not tolerated. They do not growl at the wife or myself. We can remove their food at any time and it will be tolerated. I have put the fear of God into them at times I have never enjoyed this but have found it necessary on the extremely rare occasion. They understand our expectations. Once I have a dog it is with me for life and they are members of my family not lawn ornaments. I have been very fortunate.as some of my best friends are four footed. My next dog will be a young herding breed rescue I hope many years from now.

Best rescue dog ever, he truly recused me :oops:

IMG_0038.JPG

[QUOTE="Joe13, post: 1664079,

A shelter dog with the right disposition could work out but the small ones go fast I think and I don't like being forced into hasty desicions.

Also it would need to be female and under 25 lbs and have hair, not fur if possible.

So that's my situation, everything is subjective but opinions are welcome if you'd care to share your thoughts.

Again this is months away but we keep going back and forth.

Thanks!

Joe[/QUOTE]

My dogs are always part of us. It's why often some have "wondered" at how protective I am of them. Being small dogs I have a reputation of sorts around here. Those who take their dogs to a school and let them run lose for example. Could care less if they leave me alone. Come after my dogs and I make it clear this is the warning. Next time it will not be. Some get defensive, the it's only a dog and such. I tell them you walked past the signs saying this is not an off leash park. I don't care how much you insist your dog has never done this before. Come after mine again and I will stop it. Some see us coming and suddenly either leave or leash their dogs. Fine with me either way. So that said I avoid "rescue". Sounds great and all but it's can be fraught with peril. Larger dogs often end up being the "one that bit" that no one saw coming. How a dog was raised makes a HUGE difference as do genetics. Both of these are normally unknown. Smaller ones are less likely of course but do you want to end up with a small dog with a nasty disposition? The other is vet bills. Unknown genetics often lead to all kinds of health problems soon. Some don't care as dogs are "disposable". Some like me don't see it like that. So there is that gamble. The first can be GREATLY limited with a puppy of course. Someone has not had time to abuse the dog. Rescue is great. Wish I could save all those sad dogs, I can't. Both of ours are very old. As soon as one dies I will be looking. Just can't imagine not having them. Will first look to breeder I can check out. Rescue? Maybe. If the dog is very young we may take that chance. Of course this is one of those things that everyone has to decide for themselves.

My last own dog was a Golden Lab. Stray. I did not want a dog at that point of my long past life but she had other ideas. Had some issues. Killed cats. Death on any small animal. Extremely gun shy. It took over one year to re establish her good behavior.

But ... Goldie was my best friend for over 10 years. All it took was time, effort and consistency. Got to tolerate cats. Loved squirrel hunting. Loved other male dogs. Loved the neighbors young kids. Great watch dog. Great with folks she knew.

Loved the beaver pond. But she and other dogs would up and disappear for a couple days each high summer. Maybe a dog thing. We were homesteading our remote solar cabin then. Ten million acres. Never had to tie her up. Great road trip dog.

If I had to do it all over again and there is an excellent chance I might, perhaps a puppy would be easier overall.

I use to go to off leash parks and I don't like seeing dogs on chains but off leash does not mean free for all. No not all dogs want to play together. Wish it was so but it isn't. Off leash still requires an owner to have control over their dog even if it is not physical. Now that I live in the country I don't have to worry about others dogs on my property.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top