JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Once again my Mother in law in Washington is thinking of jumping off the fence. What are the purchase requirements these days for a Pump Shotgun in Washington? Classes? 4473 plus local BGC? Waiting period? Safe storage? Thanks.

4473/federal background check. For most buyers that means instant approval and delivery.

Does she need to have a "Safety Class Certificate" first, or is that just for semi-autos?

For pump shotguns is a local law enforcement check required in addition to the federal 4473 instant check?

Is there a mandatory waiting period for pump shotguns, or is that just for semi-autos?

Last Edited:
My range is just across the border in Oregon. If she finally gets one, then I will buy her a wall mounted ShotLock Shotgun vault

Has your mother in law fired a shotgun before? Is she recoil sensitive? If MIL is recoil sensitive then buy her an AR. If this bump in night the you might want put a light on it too.

If you put a light teach her the proper technique to keep the light off until she sees the BG. Flip light on to see if it indeed a BG and if so fire. If not turn light off since you don't want her being a target by leaving the light on all of the time.

I see cases of shot shells if she really wants to use it for HD.

Last Edited:
Has your mother in law fired a shotgun before? Is she recoil sensitive? If MIL is recoil sensitive then buy her an AR. If this bump in night the you might want put a light on it too.

If you put a light teach her the proper technique to keep the light off until she sees the BG. Flip light on to see if it indeed a BG and if so fire. If not turn light off since you don't want her being a target by leaving the light on all of the time.

I see cases of shot shells if she really wants to use it for HD.

If I lived in Washington, she would be well stocked. She keeps thinking that if SHTF I will just drive from 40 miles away in Oregon to lend her one of mine.

As mentioned a shotgun is often said to be great for the home but, if she has never used one there are far better choices. Many who are recoil sensitive will fire one, one time and never want to again. Contrary to popular myth it's quite easy to miss with one especially if the shooter has never practiced with the gun.
If she wants a gun for home use and does not want to practice with a shotgun, she might be far better served with a PCC of some kind. FAR easier to control, far easier to shoot, far cheaper to play and practice with in 9mm. If you want to get around the stupid waiting have her buy an AR lower. Order up an upper for her in whatever you think will work for her. The lower is just as easy to buy as the shotgun. Simple form and check. One in 9mm you can make her a rifle out of or a pistol with a brace. Either makes a dandy home gun that is FAR easier to use and a lot more fun and cheap to practice with.

As mentioned a shotgun is often said to be great for the home but, if she has never used one there are far better choices. Many who are recoil sensitive will fire one, one time and never want to again. Contrary to popular myth it's quite easy to miss with one especially if the shooter has never practiced with the gun.
If she wants a gun for home use and does not want to practice with a shotgun, she might be far better served with a PCC of some kind. FAR easier to control, far easier to shoot, far cheaper to play and practice with in 9mm. If you want to get around the stupid waiting have her buy an AR lower. Order up an upper for her in whatever you think will work for her. The lower is just as easy to buy as the shotgun. Simple form and check. One in 9mm you can make her a rifle out of or a pistol with a brace. Either makes a dandy home gun that is FAR easier to use and a lot more fun and cheap to practice with.

100% this. I love shotguns, but not many people can/will tolerate the amount of recoil and round count it takes to become proficient with one after the first purchase.

Don't get me wrong it's awesome she's looking to get a defensive tool and something is better than nothing, but I would also veer towards a PCC. Something with an big extended charging handle would probably work for someone with hand issues or dexterity issues.

If she absolutely wants a shotgun, you could always go to a 20ga, potentially even a .410...though I would personally try to veer towards something a bit bigger.

100% this. I love shotguns, but not many people can/will tolerate the amount of recoil and round count it takes to become proficient with one after the first purchase.

Don't get me wrong it's awesome she's looking to get a defensive tool and something is better than nothing, but I would also veer towards a PCC. Something with an big extended charging handle would probably work for someone with hand issues or dexterity issues.

If she absolutely wants a shotgun, you could always go to a 20ga, potentially even a .410...though I would personally try to veer towards something a bit bigger.

Then you're talking about a "Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle" and the new pain in the butt laws apply. Low recoil buckshot is pretty mild once you've learned to shoulder the gun properly. So classes either way but no CPL or waiting period for a shotgun. If it were me I'd go through the extra work for a rifle (partly because I have already) but it's something to consider.

As mentioned a shotgun is often said to be great for the home but, if she has never used one there are far better choices. Many who are recoil sensitive will fire one, one time and never want to again. ...

Let's not forget that 20 gauge exists if 12 might be a bit much. 20 gauge still packs a real wallop.

As a side note, if she believes she will eventually want a firearm and wants to stay out of the WA database of pistol and semi-auto rifle purchasers as well as the medical waiver and annual background check that now saddles those firearms, she should plan on buying it relatively soon. A new legislative season is starting and JayBob is out to bubblegum us over.

You are in Oregon. Buy her what she wants and then make a bona-fide gift of it to her.

I'll second (third, fourth?) the advice on the shotgun. They recoil brutally, are unwieldy and can more easily be taken away than a more compact solution. Don't get me wrong … my primary HD weapon is a riot gun backed by a pistol. But I have been well-trained in employment, shooting and retention of a shotgun and shoot the thing quite often.

And you need a light ... anymore this is a must. And you need to know how to use one of these too ... and it's not like you see on TV!

I will second the 20 gauge. They are making an assortment of lower recoil ammo for shotguns, although I have never tried them. I generally stick to the 1350 fps (or so) rounds, but do have some 1100 fps rounds that throw more lead downrange - not lower recoil.

Since it is a pump shotgun, some will cycle the short rounds consistently. Again, I have never tried them, but they should be low recoil.

You should start her on the lowest recoil ammo that you can find that will cycle, and move up when she is comfortable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top