JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Son took me on a guided goose hunt last Saturday. Private land. We limited out pretty quickly. Tried for ducks the next day. Public land. Best two spots already full by 5:30AM. Went to third. A few ducks flew over. Nobody stopped by though. Probably due to Covid I'm thinking.

9E9C7CC9-921A-42C3-8C28-5063DE4F9EAD.jpeg

It's a respect thing. Most people will respect others using same ground and give them space. If it was an accident then eh, it happens.

Malicious disturbance is another topic all of its self.

It's a respect thing. Most people will respect others using same ground and give them space. If it was an accident then eh, it happens.

Public land has been an interesting training in sharing patience. I had 2 other sets of people and animals walk in the same area with no problem. One stopped called there dog and leashed em up and the others just kinda hurries to their trail, both respectful. The last one, I was shocked, just stunned.

Oh well, I was 5 minutes away from leaving anyhow and it was a slow day. 3 sets of birds only.

Dreamt about shooting my first bird last night lol

Some things on public land are about slob hunters more than anything.
They know nothing about hunting elk andTWO of them is almost the worst as they come into your stand area TALKING for the1/2 hour you can hear them comming (with bad hearing)
The worst is to arrive at your stand that last year you tagged a nice spike only to have a slob walk into the clearing 100 yards away squat against a tree and drop a load(don't look) not bury it then walk on never seeing you but ruining yourhunt for days at thatplace. eerrrr.
or those that chase elk....
that hunter that breaks out of a wide draw;easy sloped down from say 2 miles up only to JUMP into the road and demand ina panic that you take him back to where his pickup is parked : LOST,,,,, FREAKED OUT. WE did, next day one in my party went down that long straight draw (2" snow on ground) only to find his tracks RUNNING downhill 6 FOOT strides ,,,,,, after deer tracks in elk season. Only to land on us in the middle of the road.
Turn around and Follow your tracks in this light snow back to your truck,,,,uphill.
Happens on private land too. 3000 acre ranch on which I'm the only person with permission to hunt outside of the owners (relatives). I show up to my favorite stand location at a break in the canyon wall about 400 yards from a gravel road. I arrive in the dark about 5 am. I hike to my favorite juniper tree on the boundary between a lava field with basket ball sized rocks and a field of wheat stubble, about 50 yards from what is usually a deer highway in and out of the canyon, and hunker down for a few hours. About 9:30 am I have not seen a living thing where I usually see deer, coyotes, magpies, quail, etc.

I get up and prepare to still hunt the canyon edge, as usual, when I spot tire tracks running from the road, through a barbed wire fence, which lies in tangles of wire and fence posts in the field, to a spot about 100 yards from my stand. There I find a gut pile and blood all over the place, and a nice pile of human crap, complete with toilet paper.

Somebody the previous night had shot a deer with a spotlight, driven through the fence to retrieve it, took a crap while field dressing it, and then drove back out. No wonder I didn't see anything that morning. My relative spent $300 in materials and labor repairing the damage. People wonder why permission to hunt is so hard to come by.
deerpickup1.JPG

Last Edited:

I'm sitting on a stand on private property. Been there for a couple hours. There is a gravel road about 400 yards from my stand. I hear a vehicle coming down the road and all of a sudden, when they spot my vehicle parked off the road, they lay on their horn and keep doing so for about a half mile. The vehicle was a bright yellow Jeep with a green convertible top. Later that day I spot the Jeep in a nearby town and ask a few questions about it from the locals running the gas station. Seems it's driven by a woman from Portland who is waitressing at one of the local restaurants, and renting an old ranch house down toward the end of the road where I was parked. You just can't get far enough away from civilization to avoid these people.
DeerCountry2.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads