JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

PTR 91 GI vs CAI C308 vs AR10

• Total voters
I would do up a G2 AR-10 build and spend the money for a good barrel and bolt/carrier and trigger group!
A few months ago I would have voted PTR/G-3, solid, dependable, and accurate!

Just a question here, what kind of Budget are you Really actually able to spend?
Reason I ask ( and keep yer Mouf shut BOBO) is I would spend the coins and get s DSA FN-FAL/SA-58 and have the best 7.62X51 Battle rifle there is! And before any one chimes in about the M-1A, the FAL can be had in many more configurations then any thing other then the AR!

G2/GII pattern is great because it's lighter, smaller, has less moving mass, and 85% AR-15 parts comparability. It would be great to see more companies adopt the pattern. My Adams piston G2 pattern rifle is only a few ounces heavier than my AR15 builds. No buyer's remorse whatsoever there.

G2/GII pattern is great because it's lighter, smaller, has less moving mass, and 85% AR-15 parts comparability. It would be great to see more companies adopt the pattern. My Adams piston G2 pattern rifle is only a few ounces heavier than my AR15 builds. No buyer's remorse whatsoever there.
The PSA says it is Gen 2, though my AR10 choice is more a last resort not what I reallly really want, far from it actually, it is only a choice because of the price.
After a little research, Uraki has talked me into saving for FAL,I rather have something I will love than something that is just ok at best in my eyes.
I've always wanted a FAL anyway, sounds like they are easily the most reliable semi-auto .308, which is great because I value functionality over any other feature.
I've noticed there is also the DSA Voyager for $1k would rather have that over any rifle in that price range,has fixed sights but those can be swapped out later if I choose to.

The PSA says it is Gen 2, though my AR10 choice is more a last resort not what I reallly really want, far from it actually, it is only a choice because of the price.
After a little research, Uraki has talked me into saving for FAL,I rather have something I will love than something that is just ok at best in my eyes.
I've always wanted a FAL anyway, sounds like they are easily the most reliable semi-auto .308, which is great because I value functionality over any other feature.
I've noticed there is also the DSA Voyager for $1k would rather have that over any rifle in that price range,has fixed sights but those can be swapped out later if I choose to.

The Gen 2 must mean it's PSA's second generation, but the pattern is definitely DMPS Gen 1. Note how far the receiver extends behind the pistol grip:
5165447827.jpg
Now look at a similar DPMS G2 and compare the same area. The G2 pattern uses a shorter bolt so the receiver is smaller and the rifle also becomes lighter. It also uses AR15 hand guards:
configurations-ap4@2x.png

The Gen 2 must mean it's PSA's second generation, but the pattern is definitely DMPS Gen 1. Note how far the receiver extends behind the pistol grip:
View attachment 515606
Now look at a similar DPMS G2 and compare the same area. The G2 pattern uses a shorter bolt so the receiver is smaller and the rifle also becomes lighter. It also uses AR15 hand guards:
View attachment 515607
Not that it really matters to me, don't reallly like the AR platform except for the XM16E,XM177, even still though those cost about the same as a FAL would and I would definitely regret buying one later on, instead of saving for a reliable battle rifle in .308. I absolutely hate the weird cocking handle of the AR platform, the magazine release, and that it needs a forward assist. I prefer an AK magazine release,much better location in my opinion,I also don't trust the AR platforms feed angle from the magazine, I lot of other rifles are better in that regard and more reliable overall as a result. FAL has everything in the right spot internally and externally, a much Superior rifle in all aspects as far as I'm concerned.

Rifle weight doesn't bother me,unless it weighs in excess of 100 pounds I have zero issues with weight.

Not that it really matters to me, don't reallly like the AR platform except for the XM16E,XM177, even still though those cost about the same as a FAL would and I would definitely regret buying one later on, instead of saving for a reliable battle rifle in .308. I absolutely hate the weird cocking handle of the AR platform, the magazine release, and that it needs a forward assist. I prefer an AK magazine release,much better location in my opinion,I also don't trust the AR platforms feed angle from the magazine, I lot of other rifles are better in that regard and more reliable overall as a result. FAL has everything in the right spot internally and externally, a much Superior rifle in all aspects as far as I'm concerned.

Rifle weight doesn't bother me,unless it weighs in excess of 100 pounds I have zero issues with weight.

Sounds like you need to save up and get a FAL. I'd start saving pretty quick, though, because our Governor and State Legislature is pretty dedicated to make anything semi automatic illegal to purchase. It could happen as soon as next summer.

It's not on your list, but my current favorite .308 semi-auto is the Springfield M1A. Awesome rifle. Would be my first choice over the 3 you listed.

Of your choices, I'd go with the AR10/AR308 as my choice.

rather buy one on a credit card and own one then have them pass a law outlawing them. I am really good at paying my credit card off every month or two if a large purchase is made.

Just my .02 for what its worth.

I would rather have credit card debt and something the gooberment doesn't want me to have than neither of them.

SOB I may have just talked myself into one! :rolleyes:
Well I'd rather keep the roof over my head than become homeless because I bought things I couldn't afford.

Last Edited:
Leave the sights alone outside of zeroing em in. They make scope mounts for optics, and they'll sit above the irons anyways.

If you have any questions I can probably answer or send you to the right place. I totally don't like the FAL...

D51572C0-C624-4B36-B961-DAC3A2D7DE3C.jpeg 4C127CD2-44EF-45B5-BE98-102A449FC7A8.jpeg

Resized_20180509_183110_1081.jpeg
PTR 91 for the sexy factor - I'm still trying to find what match ammo she likes for precision but it'll eat anything. With 145gr Wolf steel case, I get about 2-3 inch groups at 100yds and about 5" groups at 200yds. Mine started as a GIR but if I had to do it again, I'd go with the GI and just use claw mounts. Besides, $3 magazines are hard to beat.

(As an update, took her out again last weekend and she seems to like heavier bullets. Had trouble getting a better than 4" group with my 145gr steel and 155gr Hornady Match wasn't any better. Then shot a quick 5 and got an easy 2.25" with 168gr SMK from sitting with a sandbag rest in the bed of my truck. That's more me and my shooting platform than mechanical accuracy. Locked down, I could see it shooting 1.5" groups with the right ammo pretty easily. Gives me a good place to start and I'm excited to see what she can do.);)

Don't even think about the C308. It's crap, triggers are rough and the build quality is sh*t. Spend the extra for a PTR.

If you want to stay with a classic, my understanding is the FAL is going to be slightly more accurate than the HK/PTR. They're nice shooters although I haven't shot one for precision. With a good rifle, probably closer to 1.5-2" groups at 100yds. Remember, the HKG3 was built because FN wouldn't license Germany to build the FAL so they went with a German version of the Cetme.

If you want a tack driver, spend the $1k on a good AR10. You should be able to easily get a 1 moa gun.

If you aren't stuck on .308 and just punching paper, I hear good things about 6.5 creedmoor. I think the bullets stay flatter longer and can reach out further with less hold-over compared to .308. .308 is just more plentiful and a generally heavier bullet.

Here's my nickel - hope it helps.
Cheers!

Last Edited:
After last night's election, I'm glad I already have what I want/need in the safe. Who knows how far Kate and the Salem Anti's will take us in 2019. It's going to be bloody and brutal. Get what you can now, because by about July of next year, it may be illegal in Oregon to even look at a gun ;)

BTW, traded for a PTR 91 a while back, glad to have that on board too :p Need to get some more standard capacity mags for it though.

After last night's election, I'm glad I already have what I want/need in the safe. Who knows how far Kate and the Salem Anti's will take us in 2019. It's going to be bloody and brutal. Get what you can now, because by about July of next year, it may be illegal in Oregon to even look at a gun ;)

BTW, traded for a PTR 91 a while back, glad to have that on board too :p Need to get some more standard capacity mags for it though.

Now that they have cemented control we will finally get a look at the upcoming legislation: Court Sides With Gov. Kate Brown's Administration on Public Records Lawsuit

At least maybe if they feel the peasants and serfs deserve to know what their new lives will be like before they pass all the EMERGENCY citizen proof bills. My guess is gun control, INCREASED taxes and new social programs. Don't be surprised to see rent control restrictions get removed as well.

Welcome to Orezuela.

Now that they have cemented control we will finally get a look at the upcoming legislation: Court Sides With Gov. Kate Brown's Administration on Public Records Lawsuit

At least maybe if they feel the peasants and serfs deserve to know what their new lives will be like before they pass all the EMERGENCY citizen proof bills. My guess is gun control, INCREASED taxes and new social programs. Don't be surprised to see rent control restrictions get removed as well.

Welcome to Orezuela.

Yep. The 2019 legislative session will likely be one of the worst we've seen in a long time. We're going to be hit, hard. And too few Oregonians care enough to do something about it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top