JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

PTR 91 GI vs CAI C308 vs AR10

• Total voters
Reactions
Thinking about a semi-auto 308 battle rifle, I've narrowed it down to three options:
PTR 91 GI pricing is just under $1K
CAI C308 $600
AR10 built from complete upper and complete lower, $500 with PSA parts.

I would like to hear from people who have experience preferably with all three or two of the three I mention.
The thing I'm most concerned with is reliability, which ever rifle I get will be shot with iron sights exclusively, and steel cased 7.62x51/.308 most, because that is what I can afford for .308 plinking.

If I go the AR10 route I will need to know who makes good metal 20 round mags that fit PSA lower, never been a fan of Pmags and I know they won't hold up to rough use like metal mags will.

The AR10 would be the cheapest but I want the best reliability I can get, this means without lube as well, this will be also a potential shtf weapon.

In the price range you are talking about I'd get an M&P 10. It's accurate, reliable, and not much heavier than an AR15. It's also nearly as customizable as an AR15 due to it's modular design and there are a lot of aftermarket parts. The downside is that metal mags are more expensive than the other two rifles you mentioned.

The PTR had a decent reputation, but also has a fluted chamber to ease extraction. No issue unless you reload - spent brass can be reloaded but the flutes cause additional brass wear and a wee bit more force when resizing.

If you are going to be mostly shooting steel cased ammo, I would lean towards a well built G3/HK91 clone, those things are built tough, and the steel magazines are almost as tough as an AK magazine.

Do not get a PTR/G3 unless it has a paddle mag release. Trust me. Mags are dirt cheap though. It will chew through steel case like no tomorrow.

The DPMS mags have always worked for me in the .308 AR. I usually get CL chambers, so don't shoot steel.

And no Century. Bad, Century.

Good luck.

In the price range you are talking about I'd get an M&P 10. It's accurate, reliable, and not much heavier than an AR15. It's also nearly as customizable as an AR15 due to it's modular design and there are a lot of aftermarket parts. The downside is that metal mags are more expensive than the other two rifles you mentioned.

The PTR had a decent reputation, but also has a fluted chamber to ease extraction. No issue unless you reload - spent brass can be reloaded but the flutes cause additional brass wear and a wee bit more force when resizing.
People reload brass fine, though 2-3 times. Of the rifles listed, PTR-91 for reliability if you don't reload hot (or only intend to use the case 2-3 times probably), AR-10 for ergonomics because the G3's (and by extension the PTR-91) ergonomics were lacking. This is coming from a guy who'd rather have the PTR over the AR...

Petty sure a $500 PSA 308 AR will about as reliable.
Nah, nothing's worse than CAI except maybe I.O or pioneer arms.

We have several PTR91's, and several AR10 type (non PSA) & enjoy shooting both. More of a preference leaning towards the PTR's, although for no particular reason.

Had a CAI, and it was nothing but headaches. A friend did some work on it, new rollers & such, got it working great & we traded off. Can now work on the PTRs myself, that I had some time to spend taking them down, so when they need parts upgrades can do it myself.

As to paddle mag release? Never ran one, stock as sold are fine for us. Might be a "nice to have", but hardly a necessity. And that's with several thousand rounds through ours...

As to PSA quality? We have a bunch of the AR15's, from low grade to high grade. All run excellent, with fit and finish nicer on the high grade. Matter of fact a fluted barrel Wylde chamber PSA is our current favorite varmint gun.

Honestly can't see going to wrong with an AR10 through PSA. Any issues and they will make it rite, or so I've heard. And given the volume they do, surprising that they don't have too many issues.

I would do up a G2 AR-10 build and spend the money for a good barrel and bolt/carrier and trigger group!
A few months ago I would have voted PTR/G-3, solid, dependable, and accurate!

Just a question here, what kind of Budget are you Really actually able to spend?
Reason I ask ( and keep yer Mouf shut BOBO) is I would spend the coins and get s DSA FN-FAL/SA-58 and have the best 7.62X51 Battle rifle there is! And before any one chimes in about the M-1A, the FAL can be had in many more configurations then any thing other then the AR!

I would do up a G2 AR-10 build and spend the money for a good barrel and bolt/carrier and trigger group!

Just a question here, what kind of Budget are you Really actually able to spend?
Reason I ask ( and keep yer Mouf shut BOBO) is I would spend the coins and get s DSA FN-FAL/SA-58 and have the best 7.62X51 Battle rifle there is! And before any one chimes in about the M-1A, the FAL can be had in many more configurations then any thing other then the AR!
What? And don't recommend that the guy saves up for an Israeli HBAR? Or a German G1? :s0002:

To give DSA some credit, if you're buying the rifle whole and not just a receiver, their rifles are a lot less hassle. And their paratrooper railed cover is worth using if you do a minor fix. Cause other paratrooper scope mounts require removing the top cover for field strip.

What? And don't recommend that the guy saves up for an Israeli HBAR? Or a German G1? :s0002:

To give DSA some credit, if you're buying the rifle whole and not just a receiver, their rifles are a lot less hassle. And their paratrooper railed cover is worth using if you do a minor fix. Cause other paratrooper scope mounts require removing the top cover for field strip.
For a factory built FAL, the DSA has no equal, and you can order it in any configuration with most upgrades that became popular over the many years! Mine has been the smoothest running and most accurate FAL I have ever owned including a real STG-58 that I was issued and carried for 9 months!

If a FAL was even remotely affordable for me I wouldn't even have this thread.
Realistically the AR10 PSA built is what I can afford, if money weren't as much an issue I would already own a DSA Para Congo FAL/SA58 and the .308 debate would be over for me.
That is the gun in .308 I really want but I can't afford DSA pricing.

For a factory built FAL, the DSA has no equal, and you can order it in any configuration with most upgrades that became popular over the many years! Mine has been the smoothest running and most accurate FAL I have ever owned including a real STG-58 that I was issued and carried for 9 months!
There's always the FAL that the Irish snipers use.
If a FAL was even remotely affordable for me I wouldn't even have this thread.
Realistically the AR10 PSA built is what I can afford, if money weren't as much an issue I would already own a DSA Para Congo FAL/SA58 and the .308 debate would be over for me.
That is the gun in .308 I really want but I can't afford DSA pricing.
If you keep an eye out its possible to get some builds from the falfiles. I got my STG-58 build off gunbroker though, for $1,000 with a bunch of mags and other extras. Don't discount the Imbels either, the Brazilian FALs are good.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top