JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's the deal.....I developed psoriasis on my hands and then my feet a couple of years ago.

My problem is that I don't have the most of the outer layer of skin on the palms of my hands and my palms split open and crack and I can't work the slide on my .45 ACP or my Makarov.

It's gotten to the point where I'm going to have to sell the guns as I can't work the actions any more. Either that or find some tough, thin gloves that I can wear when I'm carrying the gun around town without looking like an idiot. I don't need some ugly *** gloves.

Any of you have any suggestion for such a glove?

Jerry

Try some of the fingerless gloves that some bikers wear that way you have the finger dexterity and sense of touch.
like these...
Men's Black Leather and Spandex Fingerless Riding Gloves

Should be able to get at local motorcycle shop or a leather goods store and maybe without the extra padding in the palm like the riding type.Also try bicycle shops the padding may not be on those.

2 thoughts but they dont include gloves.

1) try some gold bond ultimate healing lotion. it CLEARED 100% of my brothers psoriasis and 50%+ of mine.

2) some kind of hook on the slide to use your fingers/using your sights and pants to rack the slide. one hand auto operation is possible.

good luck

I had a weird temporary condition similar to yours. The local feed store sold me Bag Balm, smells odd, not as bad as the products containing coal tar, and wearing it under gloves seemed to fix me up in a hurry. Almost like my bad skin couldn't help itself but get better.

Thanks for the fedback fellers!

I never thought about going to a cycle shop looking for gloves...good idea. I'll definitely look into that.

The cocked and locked would work, except for the fact that I find it most difficult just working the action during loading and unloading. Damn near impossible at times. Guys.....if Bag Balm & Gold Bond worked for you...GREAT! They are nice moisturizers but don't get to the underlying genetic causes. I've been through evey lotion/potion known to mankind (well...almost!). Good for dry skin, that's about it. I've been doing injections of a biologic for the past 16 months and things are better...

I wear blue nitrile gloves almost daily as my palms can't handle touching paper, etc.... Nitrile gloves just don't stand up to working the slide on my .45.

Anyone interested in a Para-Ordnance P-14 LDA with extra 14 round mags?

Sounds like my Psoriasis is at about the same level as yours. I use an emery board to get rid of the thick dead skin (can hurt like **** going over the split areas) then coat my hands at night with generic Neosporin w/ painkiller and cover with rubber gloves. It has made it a lot better than any crap the docs proscribe. The other option is switching to a revolver as your daily carry. I do that when my hands get really bad. Good luck, Psoriasis is miserable s**t.

Forgive me if I'm a little ignorant on the workings of the full-size 1911, but would cocking the hammer back first (manually) with the thumb reduce the slide force enough to help with that initial chambering? I know that the difference between racking my Sig P238 with the hammer down versus cocked is noticeable, and MUCH more so on my Sig P239. I know the P238 action is slightly different than a full-frame 1911 in the fact that the safety does not actually lock the slide if the hammer is cocked (the slide doesn't have the notch like a full-size for the safety to lock into), but otherwise I think they are the same (only smaller).

As for the psoriasis - have you looked into any of the grain- and legume-free diets that are out there (google "Paleo + psoriasis")? From the little bit that I've looked into it, increasing vitamin D intake and reducing systemic inflammation throughout the body (caused by a whole host of processed foods) has been pretty effective in minimizing or reversing the effects of a lot of skin conditions (and other problems). It may come across as a bit unorthodox - but it may also be worth a try.

Sounds like my Psoriasis is at about the same level as yours. I use an emery board to get rid of the thick dead skin (can hurt like **** going over the split areas) then coat my hands at night with generic Neosporin w/ painkiller and cover with rubber gloves. It has made it a lot better than any crap the docs proscribe. The other option is switching to a revolver as your daily carry. I do that when my hands get really bad. Good luck, Psoriasis is miserable s**t.

Hey BiggMayn - yeah, psoriasis is miserable s**t alright! I carry a revolver most of the time now, 5-shot S&W model 60 in .357, but I miss my .45! Thinking pretty hard on selling it and going to a 4" .357 six shot for full time carry. Maybe I can come up with some gloves that'll work with the Para-Ord.

Thinking of selling the Model 60? I'd be interested. Is the Psoriasis more on your palms or fingertips?

Nah...don't plan on selling the Model 60.

The psoriasis is on my palms including the pads and tips of my fingers. Pretty much the same on my feet. Hunting season has become a wee bit of a challenge as my feet can go totally to crap to the point where walking is difficult and painful. I actually got a Disabled Hunters permit from Fish & Wildlife because of my condition. That allows me to shoot from a motor vehicle and allows a hunting partner to harvest my critters within certain restrictions/conditions.

Anyhow...I don't want to p*ss and moan. This wasn't the point of the post. Maybe we need a thread on psoriasis and shooting?

I too have psoriasis, but a lot better now. I never had it on the inside of my hands, only on the backs, plus my arms and knees---it was wierd just sitting and watching while the skin broke open and bled for no reason! I agree that a revolver has a lot less sharp edges and painful effort in loading. Good, smooth, shaped finger-grooved wood grips look really good to me. Square snouted double action autos like the Glock and the Kahr can be cycled by hooking the slide on a counter edge and pushing down one-handed, leaving them ninety-per-cent cocked. Soft rubber grip sleeves can be fitted over the rough frames. The all-steel Kahr K-9 comes with soft rubber grips.

The big gunshows often have vendors of motorcycle leathers and gloves. I once bought some inexpensive, imported, THIN, soft leather gloves that were completely breathable and just like a second skin. I could even write and handle coins with them. They were not warm enough for riding, but were great for driving.

My offer of my experience with psoriasis: quitting drinking did NOT improve my psoriasis! THAT was a disappointment, but it did drastically improve the rest of my health---I now have the blood pressure of a healthy teenager, yet I am in my sixties and have never had a heart attack!

For about a year I have taken a high dose of vitamin D (1000mg) every other day, and had some improvement---the plaques got thinner. For about six monthe I have taken a high dose of vitamin B-12 (500mcg) every other day, and had a LOT of improvement---my hands cleared completely and arms cleared up a LOT. Neither of these vitamins have any toxic level potential.

I tried several expensive medical ointments on the big patches on my knees, to no good results whatsoever. Now, I have pretty good results in stopping the itching...............by scratching! Yes, scratching works well.............................elsullo

i had minor psoriasis around my fingernails when i was a kid, then it went away, and now it's starting to come back on my palms, over two decades later.. it doesn't sound nearly as bad as yours, though. i dont know what you do for a living, but without full use of my hands, we go hungry... hoping i never get it bad, or we're screwed.

as to gloves... some nice brown leather driving gloves would probably work well for you. they're leather, so they add a lot of surface tension, but are nice a thin, so you don't turn into a meaty-handed ogre when trying to accomplish fine motor skill tasks. and you can wear lotion/balm/medicine-injected nitril gloves underneath, if you need to. when it's wet out, this is exactly how i do it on the jobsite, only with grippers instead of driving gloves as the shell.

I forgot to mention police "search gloves" sold at cop uniform supply stores. These are superb quality ULTRA-THIN leather gloves, and surprisingly affordable and comfortable. I used them for years as bus-driving gloves (they had padded knuckles, into which I inserted about four ounces of BBs for each hand, quite invisibly!)......................elsullo

After 3 years of this problem I went to a dermatologist and he gave me a prescription and an over the counter cream called CeraVe. After 3 days of the CeraVe my hands were basically healed. I have tried all the other mumbo jumbo that has been suggested here and this is the only stuff that really helped.

I agree see a dermatologist. Get some steroids which will clear it up quicker then you can use these home cures to decrease the chance it will come back but

basically it is moisturize well. Since it is your hands basically what everyone else said cover them in the moisturizer of your choice bag blum, anything really, and cover in gloves when you sleep.

avoid hot water and wash your hands with no soap or anything which will dry it out.

BTW UV light helps as well, but you are out of luck there in oregon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top