JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK boys, lets stop crapping in Mygrainman's thread, this thread is about his daughter and a proud poppa, ( Rightly so) if you wanna discuss military conspiracy or other crap, go make your own thread! If you guys can't play nice, we gonna go visit the wood shed, Dig!

OK boys, lets stop crapping in Mygrainman's thread, this thread is about his daughter and a proud poppa, ( Rightly so) if you wanna discuss military conspiracy or other crap, go make your own thread! If you guys can't play nice, we gonna go visit the wood shed, Dig!

Aww man. I was kinda proud of my responses. :s0140:

Me too...but now , like a leaf in the breeze.....they are gone with the wind...:oops: :D
Andy

Leaf in a breeze? I kinda think it went out more like this:
HarshConstantGartersnake-size_restricted.gif

:D

THANK YOU! Why do people have to be like that????

You are welcome...I do hope my first post here , provides some wisdom for your daughter.

Folks are who they are....
I'm sure many here and in the world are all : "Why does Andy have to be like that...? "

One can state a dissenting or different view...It pays however when doing so to , do this without :
Broad general statements...
Assuming that one knows just what other people think or have experienced...
And maybe most important to know the time and place to do so....

Leaf in a breeze? I kinda think it went out more like this:
View attachment 625275

:D
Yeah I'm Da Bomb....:D :rolleyes:
Andy

LOL! That takes me back.
It's why I appreciate this group so much. The old days of those boards they were great but damn, the trolls often would make it so many would no longer participate at all. There was one for guns that was moderated to keep the trolls at bay but that meant nothing posted until the poor guy running it let them through. Which meant responses often took a VERY long time.

I agree with E4Mafia. GET IT IN WRITING! I had friends in the marines that were told they had an aviation guarantee or some other MOS and at the end of boot camp or ITR (can't recall when the assigned MOS) and were 0300 (infantry).

To have a child , or a young adult that you care for , go off and join the service is cause for both pride and worry.
I have no doubt that my mom and dad were proud when I enlisted and I'm sure , that they were worried when I was deployed to less than friendly places...

Having a love of history and reading ...was both a blessing and a curse while on deployment...and yes I did at times wonder just what the point of it all was....
That said...
I wouldn't change where or how I served.

To be a young person and see beyond one's immediate needs ...to put something or someone before yourself and your wants and desires...is very noble , mature and indeed something to be proud of.

To be a dad and have your child go into the world is always cause for concern...You love them and hope that you have taught them the best you could have.

At the end of the day...
One can only work what you can , as well as hope , support and pray that things will work out.
Andy

Congrats Mygrainman, what a awesome thing, your Daughter is doing something very honorable and worthy of great pride. I know well your angst, my two sons enlisted and went off to serve knowing full well the risks of doing so, especially as they both understood the world we live in and the U.S. Military's "Mission" as well as knowing what their Father and Grand Fathers faced, and yet they both joined up full of pride, doing their part and maintaining not only our families legacy but that of this great nation! I know the feelings of a father letting go and letting his young ones go out into an unsure world! It's letting go that's the hardest part! You will get through, and your pride will swell as your Little Girl achieves each accomplishment! You did your Job up to this point, and a Fine job at that, so now it's time to let her go out into this great big world and make her own mark! God Bless!

My kids are by far the most important things in my life...
My Daughter... oh my Daughter..

She is absolutely beautiful, just turned 18(born on THE 9/11) she is a senior in High School, Captain of the Color Guard/Drill/dance team, straight As, and has rare determination...and with that comes an extreme stubbornness.
The day she turned 18 she registered to vote, and made a list of everything she needed to do to be a responsible adult and get ready for college.
She plans on attending Central next fall to study nutrition... has already taken her SATs, and is taking some classes at the community college next term to get a head start. she knows things are tight for us, and she figured she would take it upon herself to find a way to pay for college on her own,and sat down with the National Guard recruiter at school a couple weeks ago. He laid out all the benefits, which of course were exactly what she was looking for, and long story short... she took the ASVAB. She was hoping to get over 70... but scored in the high 80s... of course this made her even more excited to join, because she now qualified for any job she wanted... but ultimately she landed on parachute rigger so she can jump out of airplanes on the weekends to offset the boring nutrition related courses she'll be taking for the next couple years.(definitely my kid!)
Her new goal is to "become 150lbs of dont f*** with me" and she figures going through boot camp will help achieve that.
I am VERY proud of her and support her 100%, but can't help but wonder if this is the best path for her...
on one hand she, nor I, will have to worry about paying for her school... but it's a 3 year commitment with the possibility of getting called to serve if war happens.
So by the time her 3 years is up... she'll have her associates degree, and at that point she can decide if she wants to peruse the exciting field of nutrition, or re-enlist and use that high asvab score to go into a field that would line up with one of the 3 letter agencies as an intelligence agent....a second option if she decides nutrition/dietician isn't for her.

So ya... proud and terrified!
First and foremost, Congratulations! By all accounts, you did your job well and raised an intelligent and motivated daughter. And without getting too far off into the negative, she certainly represents better than what we typically see from our youth today!

I understand your concerns, however, as you already know - everything in life is a trade-off, and so yes, there is some risk to her decision and the path it will lead her down. At the same time, she will not be strangled in Student Loan Debt after she completes College!

On a more personal note, your daughter's choice is not so different from my own; back in 1969. Although I had already enlisted, I really wanted to go to college and my family certainly didn't have the money to pay for me. However, the Navy had a scientific education program, in general terms somewhat similar to the program your daughter is signing up for. I didn't get that program, but I DID get into a different 4 year college degree program; courtesy of the Navy and have never looked back. There was, of course, a service obligation attached; still a very small price to pay. And, I enjoyed my time in the military as well as the people with whom I served.

Neither a College Education NOR the discipline of serving in the US Military are bad things. Both will stand you daughter in good stead in her future. Heaven forbid, she might even decide to make the military a career; many very good people do; think Jimmy Stewart, a full Bird Colonel in the USAF as well as full-time actor!

Quite simply, I think you should feel very proud, I understand you concerns, but still I bet you stand at least an inch taller every time you think about the positive choices your daughter has made! Semper Fi!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top