JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, according to you, in order to follow the law anywhere in the USA, a person that allows another person to touch a firearm is guilty of a crime without first following the steps outlined in Oregon's SB941 - no matter what state you are in. What a load of hooey.

I'm talking about Oregon, which is where I am - that is very clearly pointed out in my responses.

As for any other state, depending on those state's laws, you could get a NICS BGC and do the same thing.

But it seems you're intent on being contrary no matter what answer anyone gives you. If you refuse to see the obvious answer when it's presented, then there's nothing I can do to help you.

Even BCG's can fail to identify a felon or in many cases wrongfully identified someone as a felon. You really don't have a 100% certain way of knowing unless you know for certain they had been incarcerated, and it's possible for non-violent felons even here in Oregon to eventually own firearms again.

That's true. But it's really the best way, short of first-hand knowledge of the person, that anyone would have if they wanted to be reasonably sure the person wasn't a felon. But no, nothing that is 100% fool proof.

What in the world was she thinking, (okay, she wasn't) loaning a firearm to another person. Heck I wouldn't loan a firearm to a co-worker because I don't want a fine, jail time or the possible accessory to murder/lawsuit filed by deceased family member if they use it to murder someone.
If I was this state representative, I would terminate her employement ASAP....

So, according to you, in order to follow the law anywhere in the USA, a person that allows another person to touch a firearm is guilty of a crime without first following the steps outlined in Oregon's SB941 - no matter what state you are in. What a load of hooey.
People can keep trying to explain it to you, but clearly no one can understand it for you.

If you are at a gun range or out target shooting you can let your buddy shoot your firearm, same goes the other way.

No dog in this, but now I am confused. But then again I confuse easily. Do I understand this correctly? Under Oregon SB941 ALL private sales of firearms inside Oregon now require a BGC, (background check) by the State Police AND ALSO RUNNING THAT TRANSFER THROUGH THE BOOKS OF AN FFL?

Is this something new? I already knew about the BGC requirement but I DID NOT KNOW about the FFL requirement. Some help here please. Yikes! :(

The answer has been given several times but you are ignoring that fact - transfer or not, a BGC will tell you that. Prior to SB941, anyone could call and get a BGC on their own. That's how you know.

Is that clear now?
Don't feed the trolls. I made that mistake already. Lol.

How does a regular fellow without LEO connections determine if a person is a convicted felon?
I know of people that were technically convicted of felonies decades ago when they were young and foolish, but are now
impeccable citizens and pillars of the community.

Just asking doesn't cut it.

To figure out if someone is a felon a BGC is the easiest, there are websites that can run a background check for cheap, but in states that dont require you to transfer a firearm thru an FFL there is no way without a BGC check to "know" if someone is a felon, if they arent willing to tell you.
in states where a background check isnt required by law a bill of sale with cover your as, there are copies of bill of sale forms on this website, I believe. Make sure the bill of sale mentions the person (buyer) is legal to own firearm, your as is covered depending on your states laws.

No dog in this, but now I am confused. But then again I confuse easily. Do I understand this correctly? Under Oregon SB941 ALL private sales of firearms inside Oregon now require a BGC, (background check) by the State Police AND ALSO RUNNING THAT TRANSFER THROUGH THE BOOKS OF AN FFL?

Is this something new? I already knew about the BGC requirement but I DID NOT KNOW about the FFL requirement. Some help here please. Yikes! :(

I believe that is correct since you can't do your own BGC's anymore. The only transfer you can do that doesn't require this is to a close relative.

Last Edited:
I don't like the transfer law.

But in this case the person transferring the gun illegally, did so to a felon.
It's exactly what the people saying we needed this law, said could be happening.

Unfortunately this helps bolster there case. And so it makes sense they would prosecute under the new law.
These folks did gun owners a great disservice.

Now. Dose anyone know of someone being prosecuted for breaking the new transfer law, that did so[transferred] to a person that could legally own a gun?

I ask. Because maybe this is an insight on just who will be charged with this law? :rolleyes:

Or they may just go after you according on how your registered to vote. Who knows?
Did I say I don't like this new law? o_O

I don't like the transfer law.

But in this case the person transferring the gun illegally, did so to a felon.
It's exactly what the people saying we needed this law, said could be happening.

Unfortunately this helps bolster there case. And so it makes sense they would prosecute under the new law.
These folks did gun owners a great disservice.

Now. Dose anyone know of someone being prosecuted for breaking the new transfer law, that did so[transferred] to a person that could legally own a gun?

I ask. Because maybe this is an insight on just who will be charged with this law? :rolleyes:

Or they may just go after you according on how your registered to vote. Who knows?
Did I say I don't like this new law? o_O
Best post.

I knew it was coming. I just didn't predict the first victims would be, as you say and I agree, being text book why this law was thought to be needed. I was thinking when will we see two legal owners swap guns and get caught later?

Cut and paste from pg1 of this thread:

(a) A transferor may transfer a firearm to a transferee only as provided in this section. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, prior to the transfer both the transferor and the transferee must appear in person before a gun dealer, with the firearm, and request that the gun dealer perform a criminal background check on the transferee.

(emphasis is mine)

Point being... since 941 never ever ever, under any circumstances, loan your firearm to anybody that isn't family. For example: your bestie is going to the range to try out handguns and you know he isn't a felon (or think you do), you either go with or don't loan!! Get it???? Got it. :D

That is correct, and has been the case since August 2015 when SB941 went into effect. There are exceptions say between certain family members, but, if you want to stick to the law, all private sales must go through an FFL.

What surprises me is how many folks, even 2 years later, don't know about this crap law. I'm sure plenty of folks have broken that law and didn't even know it. Plenty of others are likely breaking it knowingly, though the police seem rather uninterested in actually enforcing it - except when it meets some political agenda.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top