JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So is the Sawyer .01 or the .02 adequate? The .01 is about 1/2 the price of the .02 and has faster output, obviously due to the filter being less restrictive... but the .02 is rated to catch viruses whereas the .01 is rated for bacteria and such... which to choose, which to choose.

More of them died from bad water than from Indians, hunger and accidents put together. 1/3 of all the pioneers died from Cholera alone. http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~pjp/LessonPlans/OregonTrailScience.pdf

WHOA there billco..........You might want to actually read what your sighting. A direct quote from the article has a completely different outcome:

Cholera is a disease caused by dirty water. This disease was the main cause of
death on the Oregon Trail. It took one third of the people who died on the trail and could
kill in less than a day.

NOT THAT 1/3 OF ALL THE PIONEERS DIED FROM CHOLERA

Over 500,000 people are estimated to have used the Oregon Trail at least in part. If what your saying was true 166,000 people would have died from Cholera.

Its estimated somewhere around 20,000 people died during the migration. So if one third of that number is used we are talking more like 6,600 people died from Cholera over a period of 37 years as the trail was active from 1843 to as late as 1880 (ten years after the railroad could have made the trip)

That works out to on average 45 people a year. Tragic but much less then you infer.

By way of a comparison in Haiti , some 6000+ people have died and 344,623 total cases had been reported this is in less then a 15 months

Do barrel water changes at night when the neighbors aren't around. You'll avoid all the 'Noah' comments and 'what in the world are you doing - water is free!'

For the time period 1840-1860, very tentative figures, which are probably low, indicate that 362 emigrants were killed by Indians and 426 Indians were killed by emigrants

Do barrel water changes at night when the neighbors aren't around. You'll avoid all the 'Noah' comments and 'what in the world are you doing - water is free!'

I have an 8ft high wood fence around my place with the bottom 6'6" being almost solid wood. I doubt the neighbors have a clue what goes on in my backyard. Except for the ones right next door who happen to be our best friends and part of our plans. For instance they have a Hot tub. 500+ gallons of water for washing clothes and flushing toilets etc. Not to mention it can be refilled by rain water off both our roofs with a simple redirection of the rain gutters and some Visqueen used as a liner over the shingles and into the gutters.

WHOA there billco..........You might want to actually read what your sighting. A direct quote from the article has a completely different outcome:
NOT THAT 1/3 OF ALL THE PIONEERS DIED FROM CHOLERA

Man, Miss a word or 2 and the whole thing goes out the window:) Wish I had some lame assed excuse for the stupidity, but I don't: nice catch Mark W. I did mean to say - as you note: "1/3 of all the pioneers who died on the trail died from Cholera". There were other water borne fatalities too, drinking Alkalai water for instance. Lack of water was another one. The stories of those in Idaho up above the Snake River, dying of thirst and yet unable to get down to to the inviting water, is still gripping reading many years later.

Thanks.

The lesson for all of us is now to this day remains and they are A) have some damned water. Anything. SOMETHING (that's first). NEXT: fuel, chemicals or filters to cleanse it. Maybe all 3, have enough to help out your neighbors.

Whew! Love the idea of the Hot Tub acting as a storage tank, with the ability to redirect rain into it from 2 houses. These Sawyer Filters, the cheapest ones, looks like naturals to get the job done for you folks to have pure water in a crisis or event right out of the hot tub.

Regards to all.

Hey Billco I was over at the neighbors tonight shooting the bull and I mentioned the idea of using the tub as a reseviour. He laughed and said he had thought about using it to raise fish. Should we end up trying to produce our own food. With a Bass pond just down the road I guess we could get some stock to seed the min pond there but I told him I doubt it would work. Now if we had some Tilapia or what ever them little trash fish are that breed like rats. But I would guess he's like to use the hot tub as a hit tub up until the SHTF. Wonder if the fish would like the colored lights and stereo LOL

By the way, we're a dealer but we do not stock or actually sell these filters - there are other sources on the Internet or even at Wally World. So this isn't a sales pitch - just one example of a simple, affordable, and flexible/adaptable system which can serve in many situations.

Something to consider at least...

sawyer.gif
Have you used any of these Sawyer Filters?

How high above the filter have you put the container to get a good flow rate out of the filter? I know what the website says, I'm looking for what it actually performs at. Just curious how fast this filter will flow with the container 5-6 feet above the filter.

Not much to say. The Hillsboro Police department came to my house and said that one of my neighbors had some concerns about me having water barrels in my back yard. I had them back there for a couple of weeks while the weather was bad but got tired of my water supply being shown to the world so I moved them to the garage. When the police showed up they had already been in the garage for a few weeks. It's funny because now I probably look even more suspicious than I did, I never open the garage door during the day and I'm always looking around to make sure no one is spying on me. And people wonder why preppers act so paranoid. It's sad what our country has become.

Its the long way to do things, but maybe a nice distiller would be the ticket. Filter the water into the distiller, then let the distiller remove EVERYTHING from the water. Your water will have no taste whatsoever. It's time consuming but worth it to me since I am paranoid of our water here in Spokane (you use unfiltered water on plants from the tap and it KILLS them).

Help from Native Americans. Then we slaughtered, dismembered, poisoned, and tortured them. We should be proud of our history. This is God's country :(.

The Genocide continues today, my friend...........

Immigrants coming to this land and making it their own was inevitable. The mass murder of entire cultures is inexcusable. The short history of the United States is a very violent one, and continues today.

OK, enough of my rant. THANKS for this great thread! I am storing bottled water but will be getting two 55 Gal Barrels from Costco soon. The need to be prepared to filter, just in case, is obvious. Think I'm sold on the Sawyer Filters, and will be shopping at Amazon in the near future.........

Funny, about ten years ago I wrote on a forum that one of the most precious commodities in the future would be a clean glass of water. The hecklers came running, dozens of 'you're a nut, tinfoil hat, how stupid" posts followed.

People in general are still deluded and naive, but not as bad as they were ten years ago. Maybe what they see with their own eyes is finally at a level with what they are told.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top