JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stuff you never hear about...

Years ago I had my 27 YO son who lives in Albany listed on my trust as a trustee and he had possession of one of MY SBR's. Unfortunately he is having some health and apparently mental health issues and the doc put him on Vicodin and he's apparently gone batsh!t crazy . Then I find out he's on a bunch of other meds like lots of benzo's he didnt tell me about. He calls me up a few weeks ago and told me he wanted me to come get all the guns I have given him over the years ( 3 including the SBR) because he doesnt shoot them. I just told him hang onto them and maybe he'd wise up down the road. So then the little prick goes and turns all of them into the Albany PD and tells them he wants them destroyed. Didnt bother telling me about it. Told my mom who casually mentioned it in conversation. So I'm livid. HOURS on the phone with the Albany PD who finally agree to give me the SBR back because I'm the primary trustee. The other two I could care less and they won't give me those. What an asswipe. OK. To be honest I'm glad he doesnt have access to any firearms because quite frankly he's lost it but I'm not sure our relationship will ever recover from this.

Ive always thought 27 is kind of the magic age where most people put their life on a path its going to be on for the rest of their lives. Seen it happen a lot. I'm hoping this isnt his path. I suspect it will be.

OK, let me get this right, son calls and tells you that he's not in fit mental condition to possess firearms and asks you to remove them from his possession. You refuse to recover them. Son turns them into police as he recognizes he is no longer fit to possess them and you have refused to take them back. Now your pizzed that he, being in an unfit mental state took steps to safeguard himself and others from potential dangers that may result from his mental state with access to said weapons.

Sorry if I'm off the mark on this however it sounds like you have yourself to blame for not listening to him.
Have you yet taken steps to have his access to your weapons removed from the trust?

Let this be a lessen to everyone. If someone is at the point that they have enough "courage" to call you and tell you to come get the guns away from them, DO IT! Even it is in the middle of the night and you have to drive 5 hours, DO IT!

For your son to "pull it together" enough to ask you that, is a HUGE kudos on him.

I know you are probably PO'd, but I wouldn't be too mad at him. He reached out and you said no. :oops: Sorry, but that is how your post reads. He was coherent enough to know he couldn't be around them. If you weren't going to get them, what was he to do? Better he took them somewhere to get them away from him, then using them in an unfavorable manner.

Again, sorry.

BTW, I'd guess closer to 30 at the minimum. Heck, I didn't pull my head completely out until I was in my very late 30's. :confused:

No. Thats not what happened at all. I didnt know anything about his mental state deteriorating until last week. He did not mention it and i had no reason to assume there was an issue until a few days ago when I started getting profanity filled texts. He's had some stomach issues related to esophageal surgery. Its just been the last few weeks when the doctor put his on pain killers for a broken toe that he's gone off the deep end. totalled his car a few days ago etc. I am relieved that he does not have access to firearms but at no time did he tell me he was taking them down to get destroyed or I would have come down. The Albany PD was as confused about what is going on as I am as he did not bring any paperwork with him and they wanted to arrest him for possession of an unregistered SBR. If I hadnt contacted them theres a good chance they may have done just that. This has been a very quick slide into mental instability for him and while I understand his rationale for taking them in he did not tell me he was going to have MY SBR destroyed or his grandfathers .22. I cant get the .22 back. I don't know that I'll be getting my son back either.

Stuff you never hear about...

Years ago I had my 27 YO son who lives in Albany listed on my trust as a trustee and he had possession of one of MY SBR's. Unfortunately he is having some health and apparently mental health issues and the doc put him on Vicodin and he's apparently gone batsh!t crazy . Then I find out he's on a bunch of other meds like lots of benzo's he didnt tell me about. He calls me up a few weeks ago and told me he wanted me to come get all the guns I have given him over the years ( 3 including the SBR) because he doesnt shoot them. I just told him hang onto them and maybe he'd wise up down the road. So then the little prick goes and turns all of them into the Albany PD and tells them he wants them destroyed. Didnt bother telling me about it. Told my mom who casually mentioned it in conversation. So I'm livid. HOURS on the phone with the Albany PD who finally agree to give me the SBR back because I'm the primary trustee. The other two I could care less and they won't give me those. What an asswipe. OK. To be honest I'm glad he doesnt have access to any firearms because quite frankly he's lost it but I'm not sure our relationship will ever recover from this.

Ive always thought 27 is kind of the magic age where most people put their life on a path its going to be on for the rest of their lives. Seen it happen a lot. I'm hoping this isnt his path. I suspect it will be.

I really sucks that this has happened, but I highlighted what you posted.

If all items are on your trust why wouldn't you be able to get them back?

Nothing but the best of luck to you, your family and especially him. Hopefully they get the meds figured out quick!

Not all the items are on the trust. Just the NFA stuff.

He actually told me he wanted to sell the guns and when I told him he couldnt sell the SBR even if he wanted to he told me to come get them because he didnt shoot them. I didnt have any reason to think there was anything weird going on at that point other than he was being a dick. He has stopped responding to by calls and emails and it all started about the time he started taking Norco's. Like i said I'm glad he doesnt have them any more but I'm not happy they are destroying the shotgun I gave him when he joined the air force because he really enjoyed trap shooting and the .22 that belonged to my dad. He did not tell me he was taking them in to get destroyed or I would have driven down.

When he said he wanted to give them back, you should have made the drive. If nothing else you could have sat him down for a "Chat" to find out "The Why"??? And, maybe you could have helped him with his problem. Ya Think? It's kinda what parents are for.

Wishing you and your son the best. Here's hoping he gets whatever help he needs and can find some peace and stability. Mental health issues in a family is a very tough thing indeed. My only sister went through a very dark period in which many in the family didn't think she was going to make it. I am happy to report she is alive and well now. But it was not an easy journey.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top