JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked this gun up new at the gun show today. I've had my heart set on it for a while, and have heard good things, but while function checking it tonight, I noticed that the cartridge ejection has some slip in it. I've posted picks below of the clockwise and counter-clockwise slip in it once rounds have been ejected. I've never seen anything like this on any revolvers I've owned.

Is this normal, or should I be worried?

I just checked the wife's 642-2. Granted it's had less than a box of shells thru it, but it only has a very small amount of spin, and only in the clockwise direction.

My 500 (S&W X-frame) had more, but not anywhere near as much as yours. your's.

I wonder if the amount of rotation is the result of wear, or sloppy tolerances?

But, once the shells are in the cylinder they keep everything from spinning. In fact, when calling S&W concerning a timing problem they instructed me to put empty shells in the gun when checking timing. Without the shells in there, the timing would not be accurate because the ratchet could rotate differently than the cylinder. Also the angled shape of the ends of the extractor butt up against the edge of the recess it sets in, driving the cylinder.

Wouldn't be a bad Idea to have a gunsmith take a peek, though.

Thanks, I had a couple of people take a look at it, and so far I've been told it's pretty normal. I've just never seen it before. I'm going to take it out target shooting so hopefully this won't cause any issues.

If anyone knows this to be an issue, or if there is any reason I should send it back to S&W before I live fire it please let me know.

Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top