JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone.

I was pondering ammo consolidation today and was wondering if anyone had tried using standard primers in magnum rounds.
Let's say in a true SHTF scenario, you only have standard primers...
Has anyone tried to load magnum rounds with standard primers, and chronographed the difference in say 357 or 44?

I also know that some bigger pistol cartridges use small rifle primers, like the 5.7x28, and I was wondering if anyone here had tried using standard pistol primers in those.
I've also read about pressures of primers varying by manufacturer, and how specific powders(spherical or ball) powders were recommended for certain rounds like magnum and rifle...
Is there a certain powder and standard primer combo that could get relatively good performance given less-than-ideal conditions?

Any input on the matter would help.
Thanks.
-Kevin

Is this a duplicate post, or am I seeing double?:huh:

I've used standard large pistol primers in my .41 Magnum loads since day one. Work fine. I used to load .357 Maximum and seems to me that I used small rifle primers for that.

It was an incomplete semi-duplicate post thanks to my older iPhone...
Thanks for the info! ;)
I'd love to come up with a book of improv handloads using misc components.
Do you know if you can use small rifle primers in all magnum pistol rounds?

The only one I know of is the 357 MAX. Possibly in the 357 Mag, but I believe there is a slight height difference between small rifle and small pistol primers. The larger Magnum rounds use large primers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top