JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I stumbled across a lot of old Winchester and Remington-Peters .45ACP cases on eBay. Anything of any cartridge-collector value here or are these more "chop up and make earrings, tie tacks etc. out of the caseheads" grade, and is a quarter per piece shipped a fair price or a BS Ripoff?
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Another one... I have an offer of fifty cents a pound plus flat $20 shipping for a 30-40lb lot of mixed steel and aluminum brass. Is this worthwhile given that I'm looking to lop off caseheads and recycle the rest, or am I being taken for a ride there?

You can get new for $0.20 to $0.25 a case new. As for steel and aluminum there now much for good for anything but scrap metal. As for scrap, case heads or not, they are worth more if melted into ingots first. Ammo scrap gets a lower price at market.

LL, all I want is the caseheads--after I made that pair of earrings for my FFL, there've been a lot of ladies who've seen them and asked about having me make them pairs too. (This is why I'm specifically looking for "scrap grade"...)

How would I melt scrap cases and form them into an ingot at home?

LL, all I want is the caseheads--after I made that pair of earrings for my FFL, there've been a lot of ladies who've seen them and asked about having me make them pairs too. (This is why I'm specifically looking for "scrap grade"...)

How would I melt scrap cases and form them into an ingot at home?
Propane touch or a really hot firepit, ceramic molds or a pit of damp sand to pour it into. As for steel case, crush it like a soda can till you have enough to form a brick. An if scrap is costing more than new than I'd likely go with new.

Thanks. Any suggestions about where to score deals on new for a rookie? I'm gonna have to start reloading once I start shooting .450SMC, so might as well start learning the suppliers now...

Local shops are a good place to start and than some online places. As for 450SMC I'm not familiar with that one so I'm not sure about where to get cases or bullets for it.

As far as I know, the only company to make SMC brass is Starline and right now Doubletap Ammo has an exclusive on their entire output. (Nutshell, it's basically a .45 Super with some tweaks and improvements to better contain the pressure and not beat up guns so much.)

I don't think seet cases would be any good for making stuff. It wouldn't take long for it to rust up.
Aluminum is really soft.
I think either nickel or brass cases would work out the best.
I'd trade you brass for some products you make.

I don't think seet cases would be any good for making stuff. It wouldn't take long for it to rust up.
Aluminum is really soft.
I think either nickel or brass cases would work out the best.
I'd trade you brass for some products you make.
Bearing in mind that each of these is made specifically for an intended recipient... gimme a few days to clear out my inbox and we'll talk. Start making your list of calibers and stone "primers;" right now I'm looking at earrings, tie tacks and money clips but if I can find suitable kits wouldn't rule out tie bars or cufflinks and I'm open to new ideas. :)

I only see one steel case in that batch, and no aluminum, mostly just vintage nickel-plated brass. A quarter apiece for common old brass like that is crazy high. A nickel apiece would be more like it.

I just took a couple hundred pounds of junk brass to the scrap yard, got $1.90/lb.

Aluminum is roughly .75 cents a pound
Brass might bring $2.00 a pound
Steel is buy the ton maybe $150.00

Unless you have a kiln or a forge already you would have to process a huge amount of brass to justify the cost of how you melt it. A propane torch will not melt brass into anything that can be poured into a mold.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top