JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone actually seen enough difference in using a different lot supply of the same powder or with an age variation in the same powder?

I ask because Ive been sitting on a pound of RL23 that I got on trade back in 2021 and I finally found some in stock so I ordered some new due to arrive later this week. Im tempted to start tonight loading an initial load development ladder with the used in prep of maybe shooting next weekend but I thought maybe I should wait to use up the old after I work up a recipe with the new.

1687235499101.png

You'll need to do load work-ups for each one. You may find there's not much different, but still need to check.
The option not mentioned is to mix the two bottles thoroughly and use them as a combined lot.
I figured that was the case, I've just never heard of anyone getting anything different...

So then I will wait for the new lot to arrive and load dev with that. Then later will run a pressure ladder with the old and figure out if any difference.
I dont think I want to mix them.

The thing I notice most is weight density variation from lot to lot.

I get powder in 35, 45, and 55lb kegs depending on the powder, and load lot numbers together to keep from having to stop and check loads.

The thing I notice most is weight density variation from lot to lot.

I get powder in 35, 45, and 55lb kegs depending on the powder, and load lot numbers together to keep from having to stop and check loads.
the only way I could afford double digit kegs of powder like that is if I was a firearms trainer.... :p

all Im feeding here is my elk rifle, I picked up 5lbs and should last me a while including practice.

My experience has been up to a .3 grain difference per a given charge weight between lots. I'll let .1 go, but with .2 - .3 I'll throw 20 or 30 charges to confirm then adjust the hopper accordingly. I do keep whats loaded separate and run the crono to make sure I am still in the ball park. I also do not mix two lots in the hopper, but wait until I confirm the adjustment then mix'um up.

I noticed a difference in volume density between lots. Say you have your powder meter set up for 25 gr of powder from lot A, when you run out and switch to lot B of the same powder, it may require you to adjust your volumetric meter to maintain 25gr.

Likely you are wasting your time, money and barrel for different lots spread a few years apart with the oldest being 2021.
This is why I'm asking.
I've always heard to double check, or start over and work your way back up...

But I've never heard of any change.

Loading IMR 4350 I have found no difference between last years powder and powder I've had in the back of the cabinet from 20 years ago (metal can).

I have also gotten two different lot numbers during a loading session and have not seen any difference there either (Win 748).

If you are loading for your elk gun and not a benchrest rifle, not shooting long range...you probably won't see a meaningful difference in poi from minor velocity differences...if you have a ~1moa gun, and your target is, what, like the size of the vitals of an elk, you should be ok. Verify tho. Using a can of powder that is old may be fine, but time provides opportunities for contamination as opposed to a fresh bottle from the manufacturer.

To potentially save you all the work of a ladder test and load development, if you are zeroed for your current batch, load up 15 rounds with the old powder, shoot 3 5 round groups and see where you are at.

That said, I'm no hunter and no benchrest shooter, so everything I just said is suspect. :D

Another of my worthless stories.. :confused:

Years back I bought some reloads that the loader accidentally mixed powders on. To dangerous to shoot and the powder worthless when I pulled the ammo down...800+ rounds.

Anyway I read that when the Iron Curtain fell the ammo that was there for the guards was pulled down and the powder spread over the fields. Powder has potent nitrogen in it so I put gun powder on my yard plants that were not doing so good.

An explosion....of growth and my rose bushes really took off.

Point being is gun powder is great fertilizer if you think it's gone bad over time.

My guess is Im over reacting. The initial pound I scored in 2021, no idea when the person bought it but maybe its 3 or lets say 5 yrs old, I dont think thats like finding grandads powder in the back shed kinda thing.

Its more of a lot change and Im not certain thats worth worrying about it sounds.

My new order arrived, all 5 containers of the same lot code. The logical thing to do here is develop a load with the newest powder, check the rogue container later and it should be no different.

1687483907606.png

My guess is Im over reacting. The initial pound I scored in 2021, no idea when the person bought it but maybe its 3 or lets say 5 yrs old, I dont think thats like finding grandads powder in the back shed kinda thing.

Its more of a lot change and Im not certain thats worth worrying about it sounds.

My new order arrived, all 5 containers of the same lot code. The logical thing to do here is develop a load with the newest powder, check the rogue container later and it should be no different.

View attachment 1441674
If it was me, I'd work up a load with the small batch and then verify with the larger.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews