JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lotta sports glasses available that will take prescription lenses.

Was looking at them a few months ago but then was told that glasses would make marginal to no help with shooting for me.

There are a number of companies that make specific prescription shooting glasses. Oakley and Rudy Project are probably my top two favs. However...I would absolutely spend some time trying to find an optometrist in your area who has specific experience fitting shooters. Having someone who understands the unique needs of shooters can be invaluable. They may also allow you to bring, say, your pistol in so they can get the specific distance measurement from your eye to your front sight. No way a regular optometrist will let you do that.

Lol I paid about 300 bucks for my Ray Ban .
Perscip sun glasses lol .my insurance paid the other 300 and I got a pair of Oakley bifocals at the same time 586 bucks out of my pocket and the insurance paid the rest over 1300 bucks for two pairs of glasses

:mad::mad::mad:

I have a vortex viper red dot for my Glock but I didn't like it but I didn't have my slide miilled for it I just bought the rear sight adapter .if I had the slide miilled for it I might like it better

I was thinking about trying one for my G34 comp gun... what didn't you like about it??

(I can't see well, but it seems the rest of my body is wearing out faster than my eyes...:rolleyes: so I might not be able to continue IDPA anyway... :()

I wear glass that are made of plastic lens and then I have some large sun glasses that I wear that fit over my glasses. I also have some yellow shooting glasses that fit over my prescription eye wear as well,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TWWT5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBTNTHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wear these when driving I also wear for my training class:

https://www.z-xg.com/store/Original-XG-Fit-Overs-Medium-Density-p78276188

Last Edited:
I was thinking about trying one for my G34 comp gun... what didn't you like about it??

(I can't see well, but it seems the rest of my body is wearing out faster than my eyes...:rolleyes: so I might not be able to continue IDPA anyway... :()
Like I said the slide was not milled for it so it sat on top and and high I had a hard time getting it sight in .
If the slide was milled it would be lower and more in line with the sight line .
It just didn't feel right and I was always looking for the dot .

As I'm getting older, I need reading glasses for the small/up close stuff. So, not too long ago I went to the optometrist and asked for "shooting glasses". I explained that I have trouble seeing the sights on my guns, but I can see the target clearly. He stated that there really wasn't much he could do. He said the best thing to do is get a pair of week "cheaters", as it will help with the sights and not totally blur the targets. I actually haven't tried it yet, but it's getting bad enough that I will try it soon.

On a side note this thread makes me acutely aware I need to pony up the dough and get a red dot for my carry gun.

Ray
Before work sprung for a pair of Wiley X bi-focal safety glasses I used the Olympic 30-06 glasses that start on page 3 of the link. Used the dual segmented ones for work so I didn't have to crick my neck as much working on stuff up high. I might snag a couple pair of these anyway,they only had clear lenses when I was using them.
Bifocal Safety Glasses - Safety Glasses USA

As I'm getting older, I need reading glasses for the small/up close stuff. So, not too long ago I went to the optometrist and asked for "shooting glasses". I explained that I have trouble seeing the sights on my guns, but I can see the target clearly. He stated that there really wasn't much he could do. He said the best thing to do is get a pair of week "cheaters", as it will help with the sights and not totally blur the targets. I actually haven't tried it yet, but it's getting bad enough that I will try it soon.

On a side note this thread makes me acutely aware I need to pony up the dough and get a red dot for my carry gun.

Ray

Is your optometrist actually experienced in servicing and fitting shooters? Because if he isn't, you should search for one that is.

There is something called a "reverse" or "top" bifocal. Where the bifocal part can be put into a small section up at the top of the lens instead of the bottom. The optometrist can take a measurement from your eye to the front sight of your pistol and then put that prescription into the small bifocal part. The rest of the lens can then either be made as a distance prescription or no prescription at all if you see distances fine. But in this manner you can use the top of the lens for your front sight post and the rest of the lens for distance.

Here's an example of a top bifocal done in a regular reader strength power. Note that this is just an example. But you could probably pickup one of these for pretty cheap and see if you think it might work before spending more money to have your actual prescription put into one.

And note that I've never used something like this so I don't know how it works in reality. I suspect there would be a bit of a learning curve as you teach yourself what part of the lens to use in various situations. And it might require you to tilt your head a bit more than usual when aiming. But if you did a standard bifocal you'd probably have to raise your head a bit when aiming. Either way you might have to make a bit of adjustment but one might be better than the other.

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Bifocal-Safety-Glasses-2-00-TF200/dp/B00BD9Q2YA

Is your optometrist actually experienced in servicing and fitting shooters? Because if he isn't, you should search for one that is.

There is something called a "reverse" or "top" bifocal. Where the bifocal part can be put into a small section up at the top of the lens instead of the bottom. The optometrist can take a measurement from your eye to the front sight of your pistol and then put that prescription into the small bifocal part. The rest of the lens can then either be made as a distance prescription or no prescription at all if you see distances fine. But in this manner you can use the top of the lens for your front sight post and the rest of the lens for distance.

Here's an example of a top bifocal done in a regular reader strength power. Note that this is just an example. But you could probably pickup one of these for pretty cheap and see if you think it might work before spending more money to have your actual prescription put into one.

And note that I've never used something like this so I don't know how it works in reality. I suspect there would be a bit of a learning curve as you teach yourself what part of the lens to use in various situations. And it might require you to tilt your head a bit more than usual when aiming. But if you did a standard bifocal you'd probably have to raise your head a bit when aiming. Either way you might have to make a bit of adjustment but one might be better than the other.

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Bifocal-Safety-Glasses-2-00-TF200/dp/B00BD9Q2YA
When I first had to start using glasses .it was really hard to get used to it.driving or just every day thing .I imagine SHOOTING glass are the same I use basic Shooting saftsa glasses now.
Oakley blades. But I know I will need some pescrip soon .

By the way
@L84Cabo you probably pass by my house every day or close to it but we have never met lol

@L84Cabo
Andy and I are planning on going out to GREENE'S GUN STORE on Whidbey island .
On Saturday to shoot my new muzzleloader .
Haven't set a time yet but I will geuss we will be there for a little while.if your in the area .or have nothing else to do . greeens also has a pistol range

@L84Cabo
Andy and I are planning on going out to GREENE'S GUN STORE on Whidbey island .
On Saturday to shoot my new muzzleloader .
Haven't set a time yet but I will geuss we will be there for a little while.if your in the area .or have nothing else to do . greeens also has a pistol range

Well thank you kindly for the invite good Sir, but I'm just a tad bit out of the area at the moment. I'm spending time with family and friends down in San Diego until the end of Sep...I think. But do give us a report of how the muzzle loader shoots! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top