JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some time ago I was gifted a beautiful Winchester Model 70 .30-06-- at the time I didn't even realize what the pre-war vs. post-war designation was all about. Since then I've learned some things: it is a pre-war, and an early one at that. It's serial number is 71406.

There are some scratches on the stock, but nothing that couldn't be fixed up. It shoots wonderfully. Any knowledgeable folks out there feeling charitable with their wisdom? What's the ballpark of how much this great rifle is worth?

I'm not interested in selling it...I'm not the jack-wagon to jump at the chance to sell gold just because its in his back yard. Just want to know what I'm dealing with.

Some time ago I was gifted a beautiful Winchester Model 70 .30-06-- at the time I didn't even realize what the pre-war vs. post-war designation was all about. Since then I've learned some things: it is a pre-war, and an early one at that. It's serial number is 71406.

There are some scratches on the stock, but nothing that couldn't be fixed up. It shoots wonderfully. Any knowledgeable folks out there feeling charitable with their wisdom? What's the ballpark of how much this great rifle is worth?

I'm not interested in selling it...I'm not the jack-wagon to jump at the chance to sell gold just because its in his back yard. Just want to know what I'm dealing with.
Without seeing it, you probably have a standard Mod 70, that was manufactured in 1946 (by serial #), which would be the tenth year of production of that model. The 30.06 was the most predominate and popular caliber. It could have a barrel in 24", 25" or 26".

The bolt would have a double lug system locking system, patterned after the Mauser 98 bolt. To-date it is still one of the strongest actions made, and can be rechambered to accept many more powerful calibers.

In the early day's of my retail selling of firearms (Early 1980's), I once had a customer buy a 30.06 rifle from that generation. His removed the stock, asked for a hacksaw, and cut the barrel off, in front of me. All he wanted was the action. He paid $600, and left everything else with us.

In todays market, and again without seeing the rifle, possible values could range from $800 to $3,500 and up. But there a ton of variables.

Its funny but I just bought a Model 94 30-30, manufactured in 1946 as well. It is getting harder and harder to find old rifles like that. And it would certainly be insured if it were mine.

Last Edited:
Pictures would be very helpful here.

As for value or what the rifle is worth , remember that there is :
Book value...
Internet gun seller's value...
Regional value...
What time of year you are selling value ...
And just what the rifle will actually sell for value...
All of which can vary wildly.
Yes I know that the OP said that he wasn't interested in selling , but an actual selling price may make for a ballpark value or worth.

As well as :
Has the rifle been altered in any way , butt pad added , holes drilled for a scope or sight , etc....
Is the rifle all original...many times model 70 rifles have been re-stocked...
Does the rifle have its original finish....
Bore condition...

All of the above plays into what the rifle is worth.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top