JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What rifle barrel profile do you prefer?

• Straight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swamped

• Octagon to round

• Tapered

• Don't care as long as it's appropriate to period and type

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Don't care as long as it looks cool

• What's "Swamped"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
What's your preference in barrel profiles? If any.

Seems I've tried everything except tapered. Two swamped barrels (Colerain C and D weights) on full stock rifles, one straight octagon (.32 X 42"X3/4") full stock squirrel rifle, which I probably wouldn't have had done if I hadn't found the 3/4" across the flats GM barrel. One Octagon to round half stock Pedersoli Mortimer. All are appropriate for the period of the rifle and style.

There is a good mixture of straight , swamped plus a few octagon to round barrels in my collection of originals.

While I did vote "Don't care as long as its appropriate to period and type"...
I have learned though the collecting , studying , shooting and handling of originals ...
To be very careful of making pronouncements of just what is appropriate to period and type.

To be sure there are more of one type than another features in any given period or type of firearm or era of gun.
Some features can even be taken as almost a "trademark" of a maker , style or era.
And some features are almost a hard and fast rule.

But tread carefully.
It seems to me as soon as I say all "such and such guns of this type or era have these features"
Ten* examples show up that break that rule or pronouncement.
At least that's been my experience....
* number chosen at random , just to make my point...

Also "C" and "D" etc weights are a modern term ... I'm pretty sure Jacob Dickert et al wouldn't know a "C" weight or "D" weight barrel if it fell on his foot... :D
What would be nice to know , is the period correct term for various barrel weights...
Andy

Last Edited:
I have noticed that a lot of Remingtons have tapered barrels and I am not a big fan of them. There are some cool triangle barrels but not sure about how effective they are.
ModelSevenCDL_beauty_old%2026417.png
Model700-VTR.jpg
84374-77_700VTR_Detail_Barrel.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR