JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd keep 'em.
They are not made any longer and were made to a better standard , quality wise than many rifles of today.
Mossberg .22 rifles ( And the Ward's Western Field ) shoot very nicely as a general rule.

In the interest of honestly here.....
I must also state that I am not a fan of the Ruger 10/22 series.
Nothing "wrong" with it....just that there are many out there...and the design does nothing for me.
Andy

I'd keep 'em.
They are not made any longer and were made to a better standard , quality wise than many rifles of today.

Nothing "wrong" with it....just that there are many out there...and the design does nothing for me.
Andy
Thanks for the reply.

I have a Remington 34 NRA Target and a Mossberg 46M(a) and there is a certain cool factor to old 22's that the 10/22 just doesn't have. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my 10/22, but it's a different animal than a vintage bolt gun.

I'd keep them and save up to get the 10/22. They're easily found on the shelf when the time comes to purchase.

Keep the old girls! 10/22's are great, I have two. But the 1930 Remington model 12 is of so much better quality that there is really no comparison. Not to mention the cool factor. Nearly 100 years old and still a tack driver, and the action is smooth as glass. And if I fill it with shorts it increases the capacity and is almost like shooting suppressed.

I'd keep 'em.
Mossberg .22 rifles ( And the Ward's Western Field ) shoot very nicely as a general rule.

Andy
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
I have a Marlin that's a WWII vintage rifle. It's very well made and is very accurate. I've also had a couple of 10-22s but didn't keep either very long. I like the old rifles best.

I brought this Remington Model 511-X Scoremaster home today:

PC230317.JPG PC230322.JPG

The Remington barrel code says 1966. The scope is a Bushnell 3-7x Custom .22. It came with one each 6 round and 10 round magazine. It hasn't been used all that much, some signs of handling over the years. Typical "closet" gun in that there was a lot of dust on the forward surfaces of the trigger guard. The length of pull on the stock is 13.75 inches, so a borderline youth gun. The scope is missing one of the little adjustment turret covers. Wish me luck finding one of those.

I like .22 rifles. I've got a few. 1936 Remington 341-P; 1955 Marlin Model 56; Ruger Model 77-22 made in their first year. I didn't keep any semi-autos but I like the Remington Nylon 66 and the Marlin Model 60 types.

One of the first guns I bought for myself was a 1934 single shot .22 Stevens Model 53, it cost $5 in 1965. I used it until I wore it out. Literally. I couldn't get bolt parts for it from Numrich so I took it up to Cabela's and sold it to them just to get rid of it. The buyer said, "I can only give you $30 for it." I don't think he really wanted it, but I said, "Fine, I'll take it."

The Ruger 10-22 is a good enough gun, I've owned one about 40 years ago. It didn't excite me much. One of the nice things about .22 rifles is, there are so many to choose from.

Love your Remington 511....looking for one myself.
I have a Remington 510 from 1941 and a Remington 512 from 1942....just need the 511 and a 513.
The 511 was made for a couple of decades. The 511-X was only made in 1965 and 66. Supposedly. The X has an "improved" rear sight. One of the Nylon 66's I had used this kind of rear sight, with a kind of elevation adjustment dial on it that could be turned with a penny coin.

Another thing nice about .22 rifles, they tend to cost less than rimfires.

The 511 was made for a couple of decades. The 511-X was only made in 1965 and 66. Supposedly. The X has an "improved" rear sight. One of the Nylon 66's I had used this kind of rear sight, with a kind of elevation adjustment dial on it that could be turned with a penny coin.

Another thing nice about .22 rifles, they tend to cost less than rimfires.
Another thing nice about .22 rifles, they tend to cost less than rimfires. :s0082:

Keep 'em....I have a soft spot for old .22s, over half my collection are old bolt actions...for general plinking they can't be beat. My 10/22 has turned into a dedicaded bunny gun, hardly ever shoot it as a "pkknker" any more. I enjoy a slow paced "see how good I am" with irons....but, did just grab an old weaver for one of my Winchesters, because middle aged eyes :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews