JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a pre 64 model 70 30-06 in great shape. There is some finish wear, but zero rust and the bore is awesome. The stock is in really good shape as well especially for something made in 1961. I thought it was going to be my backup hunting rifle (brush gun as opposed to my scoped rifle). I am feeling a little funny about the idea of clambering around through through the mountains on the west side with this thing (it is really nice). The more I look at it the more apprehension I get. I really just wanted a gun with irons that I could climb around with. I have tried to trade it for a henry 45-70 already once, but it seems like I will have to keep it as most folks are not interested.

1. Am I over thinking this, should I just ride it until the wheels fall off?

2. If I keep it I was thinking a synthetic stock (glad I do not have to see peoples faces). I can not find one anywhere Bell and Carlson discontinued theirs. Thoughts?

3. I am also having a hard time finding the little screws fill the tapped holes on top of the receiver, they were missing, any ideas?

Appreciate the help!

IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG

The pre-64s in odd calibers or rare calibers bring far more money. If its a 270 or especially a 30-06, I wouldnt worry about hunting with it because the market doesn't really hold these much more than a new M70.

McMillan inlets for pre-64s but you'll pay a good penny for it. They are worth it. Nothing says perfect like an M70 featherweight and a McMillan Edge.

I wish it was a featherweight with the wood this thing is pretty heavy. I hunt with a browning x-bolt hells canyon in 7mm and that thing is a breeze to carry on long hikes. I just wanted irons as I live out by Mt. Hood and when hunting local its 75 yards and under in the nonsense I have spent time in.

I adore both of my model 70's.

As far as the screws for the top of the receiver, pachmeyer makes a kit with a bunch of different receiver plug screws for pretty cheap. Most gun smiths should have them.

I adore both of my model 70's.

As far as the screws for the top of the receiver, pachmeyer makes a kit with a bunch of different receiver plug screws for pretty cheap. Most gun smiths should have them.

Those screws are a standard size across the board with American hunting rifles, 6-48. A dozen of them is probably $20 at the most. Or, free if a buddy buys a blued hunting rifle.

The "Plug Screws" should be available at any good Gunshop and depending on how good a customer you are they'll probably be free. Brownells also has those Screws and so do other places.

As for a replacement Stock you might look on fleaBay. Lots of Gun Parts on there.

If it were mine, I'd keep it and enjoy it. But, you seem to want to get rid of it. Put it up here or on GunBroker or some other Auction site. Then buy whatever you want.

The "Plug Screws" should be available at any good Gunshop and depending on how good a customer you are they'll probably be free. Brownells also has those Screws and so do other places.

As for a replacement Stock you might look on fleaBay. Lots of Gun Parts on there.

If it were mine, I'd keep it and enjoy it. But, you seem to want to get rid of it. Put it up here or on GunBroker or some other Auction site. Then buy whatever you want.

I'd suggest you pick a site that has more national exposure like gunbroker. Unfortunately, the people who value blued steel and hand-fit walnut are dying off. The average tactical mall ninja doesn't know or appreciate something like this.

That is a very nice rifle that was meant to be used hunting.
I'd get some plug screws , add a Lyman peep sight , find a good load and go hunting next season...
'Course I also shoot and hunt with original rifles from the 1800's , so a pre-1964 rifle isn't that old in my eyes....:D
Andy

A guy I shoot with has one in .30-06 - it is just beautiful. This one is by Griffin & Howe. The fit and finish is as good as Rigby of the same era. This one, IIRC, came from the same R&GC at Lakenheath where my Swiss guns came from, and in about the same timescale. A good few USAF personnel came to UK and brought their guns with them, having ignored the advice in their movement documentation about bringing guns with them. Sure, you could bring them, and then visit them once a week in the base armoury, but take them out into the UK?

Nope.

So they were forced to send their guns back stateside, or sell them off in the R&GC.

tac

If you can afford it, why not save what you have from the elements and buy one of those inexpensive virtually indestructible new bolt actions that are typically on sale at Bi Mart/Big 5 and other stores?

Good luck "riding it until the wheels fall off". I've got one in 270 that my dad gave me in 1979. It's been out hunting every year for over 30 years and still shoots as well as it did when he gave it to me. My 2 cents would be to use it and enjoy it for it's intended purpose. Mine has never let me down.

Hunt and shoot it till the barrel is blown, then rebarrel and start over, pass it on to the next generation and be proud to have built a legacy with a fine American made classic, doing the job for which it was meant!

I have a pre 64 model 70 30-06 in great shape. There is some finish wear, but zero rust and the bore is awesome. The stock is in really good shape as well especially for something made in 1961. I thought it was going to be my backup hunting rifle (brush gun as opposed to my scoped rifle). I am feeling a little funny about the idea of clambering around through through the mountains on the west side with this thing (it is really nice). The more I look at it the more apprehension I get. I really just wanted a gun with irons that I could climb around with. I have tried to trade it for a henry 45-70 already once, but it seems like I will have to keep it as most folks are not interested.

1. Am I over thinking this, should I just ride it until the wheels fall off?

2. If I keep it I was thinking a synthetic stock (glad I do not have to see peoples faces). I can not find one anywhere Bell and Carlson discontinued theirs. Thoughts?

3. I am also having a hard time finding the little screws fill the tapped holes on top of the receiver, they were missing, any ideas?

Appreciate the help!
Keep it and use it. I have a pre-war in a McMillan stock that shoots better than most custom high dollar rifles. I recently got a pre-64 30-06 from my step father. It has his name and ODL engraved on the receiver and a old Lyman all American scope. I tore it completely down and cleaned it while trying to decide what to do with it. Decided to leave it just as it is and go shoot it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top