JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just curious so thought that I would run this by you guys to see what some of your opinions are. I own 20 secluded acres in SW Washington. It has a 36' x 36' shop with semi finished loft. Well and septic installed close to 30 years ago. Nice root cellar that needs doors finished (bears have broken in twice this year and made a mess). The house is a single wide with additions that would need to be removed. Lots of good building materials though as we milled much of our own beams and other dimensional lumber for the additions that could be used for other projects. We raised a family there but about 10 years ago after a divorce I walked away and really haven't been back except for very short visits to put stuff in the cellar or to pickup something from the shop. I've moved on and remarried and now have no desire to ever return. We lived off the grid with some solar and diesel generators charging a battery bank but in the last 5 years power has been brought in to the neighbors next door so it can be available for a reasonable investment if desired. A mix of fir and alder trees with some open areas (had horses and a milk cow at one point). The place is accessed though a 2 1/2 mile gravel road off the pavement that is maintained by the land owners. Almost all work was done without the assistance of the county building department so it might be complicated if getting them involved in the future. Good area on property for a short shooting range. Really lots of potential, just overgrown and full of junk at this point. Anyway, sorry for the long post but wanted some opinions on possible value and what to clean up or leave. I already know a lot of stuff from my prior life (raised 4 kids there) will need to be hauled off but other things like an untitled (hoping to get a title) 5 wheel travel trailer in nice shape could be valuable to a potential buyer. Since it's been sitting for several years it's going to take some work. We do have a uninstalled manual (or could be hooked up to solar with a motor kit) water pump sitting in the shop or maybe the old 24 volt DC submersible water pump in the well may still work. Borders National forest on bottom and private forest land on top. Ex wife owns 20 acres (bare land) on one side that she wants to sell but also has not been very active in doing so. The property includes part of a 6 to 7 acre beaver pond that years ago was stocked with bluegill, bass and catfish. Otters have moved in and out over the years so not sure what is left of the fish population at this point. Anyway, I have decided to sell as I'm retired and just don't have the mental or physical energy to deal with it at this point. Any ideas on value?

I'm just curious so thought that I would run this by you guys to see what some of your opinions are. I own 20 secluded acres in SW Washington. It has a 36' x 36' shop with semi finished loft. Well and septic installed close to 30 years ago. Nice root cellar that needs doors finished (bears have broken in twice this year and made a mess). The house is a single wide with additions that would need to be removed. Lots of good building materials though as we milled much of our own beams and other dimensional lumber for the additions that could be used for other projects. We raised a family there but about 10 years ago after a divorce I walked away and really haven't been back except for very short visits to put stuff in the cellar or to pickup something from the shop. I've moved on and remarried and now have no desire to ever return. We lived off the grid with some solar and diesel generators charging a battery bank but in the last 5 years power has been brought in to the neighbors next door so it can be available for a reasonable investment if desired. A mix of fir and alder trees with some open areas (had horses and a milk cow at one point). The place is accessed though a 2 1/2 mile gravel road off the pavement that is maintained by the land owners. Almost all work was done without the assistance of the county building department so it might be complicated if getting them involved in the future. Good area on property for a short shooting range. Really lots of potential, just overgrown and full of junk at this point. Anyway, sorry for the long post but wanted some opinions on possible value and what to clean up or leave. I already know a lot of stuff from my prior life (raised 4 kids there) will need to be hauled off but other things like an untitled (hoping to get a title) 5 wheel travel trailer in nice shape could be valuable to a potential buyer. Since it's been sitting for several years it's going to take some work. We do have a uninstalled manual (or could be hooked up to solar with a motor kit) water pump sitting in the shop or maybe the old 24 volt DC submersible water pump in the well may still work. Borders National forest on bottom and private forest land on top. Ex wife owns 20 acres (bare land) on one side that she wants to sell but also has not been very active in doing so. The property includes part of a 6 to 7 acre beaver pond that years ago was stocked with bluegill, bass and catfish. Otters have moved in and out over the years so not sure what is left of the fish population at this point. Anyway, I have decided to sell as I'm retired and just don't have the mental or physical energy to deal with it at this point. Any ideas on value?
An appraiser needs more information than that, namely, location cubed.

Get a realtor to do all the ground work for you, if needed have 2-3 give you an appraisal if you don't have one already. A good real estate agent are worth their weight in gold and will more than pay for their commission.

Thanks, At some point I knew that most likely I would get a realtor involved. My intent with this post was to get some understanding of interest/value in the prepper community for a place like this. A somewhat close smaller bare acreage recently sold for a significant amount. I'm not sure of the circumstances but I do know that a couple young guys from Seattle came down and paid cash so that peaked my interest when I heard about that.

Regarding cleanup and what to leave what to haul off, and I have a lot of experience as a property investor, it's CURB APPEAL. No matter any other aspect, first impressions matter. And it's not just that you won't get top dollar, you may not get any interest if the property is too much trouble for a purchaser to set right. Once you pull the trigger to sell it, you don't really want to have to wait for the perfect "motivated" buyer.

Last Edited:
Type the address into Zillow and it will give you a quick idea of value. Anything further than that you need a realtor. A good realtor will want you to clean it up or price it really low for a quick sale.

.02 for what its worth

There is a seasonal Creek at the bottom of the property. There are lakes within 10 to 15 miles, good sized river about 3 1/2 miles away. I tried putting the address in Zillow and it didn't have an offer on that address. Not sure how Zillow works but there would be no sales history on record in the last 30 years so if it uses that i'm not going to get anything from them.

At one point we had thought about putting a tiny house on it and doing Airbnb rentals but decided against it. Being retired we have decided to spend more time traveling and being unencumbered from those sorts of responsibilities. We are in the first stage of retirement, the first being the go-go, then go-slow and lastly the no-go. Our retirement advisor shared that with us before I retired and it does help to put things in perspective. At this moment we are at a Washington state park enjoying the beautiful weather.

There is a seasonal Creek at the bottom of the property. There are lakes within 10 to 15 miles, good sized river about 3 1/2 miles away. I tried putting the address in Zillow and it didn't have an offer on that address. Not sure how Zillow works but there would be no sales history on record in the last 30 years so if it uses that i'm not going to get anything from them.

Use Zillow to look up similar properties near yours just to get an idea of what they are asking for them. To get real numbers, you will need to contact a realtor, or put a big price on Zillow using the "make me move" option and hope a Californian, or someone from Seattle, comes in with a wad of cash. :) There was a thread about that option a few months ago. Good luck.

I'm a realtor and would be glad to help. Drop me a PM and I can do a market analysis for you.
Based on what you said, some food for thought.
Generally, banks won't loan on land only, so you may be looking for a cash deal or owner contract. If they will loan on raw land, the mobile may have to be hauled off for financing to be secured.
Single wide mobiles and any mobile pre 1976 can also not be financed, so I don't think I'd worry about removing anything yet.
Has the title of the mobile been eliminated? (Meaning it is no longer a vehicle, but is attached to the land )

The question really comes down to the land's highest and best use. For example, with DNR land bordering, is it a hunters paradise? With utilities near, perhaps its prime for development.
Obviously this could result in a nice lump sum payout, or even a nice income stream for a few years if you are willing to carry the paper. As it's doing nothing right now, that could be a nice option for you and would greatly enhance the marketability of the property.

I'm a realtor and would be glad to help. Drop me a PM and I can do a market analysis for you.
Based on what you said, some food for thought.
Generally, banks won't loan on land only, so you may be looking for a cash deal or owner contract. If they will loan on raw land, the mobile may have to be hauled off for financing to be secured.
Single wide mobiles and any mobile pre 1976 can also not be financed, so I don't think I'd worry about removing anything yet.
Has the title of the mobile been eliminated? (Meaning it is no longer a vehicle, but is attached to the land )

The question really comes down to the land's highest and best use. For example, with DNR land bordering, is it a hunters paradise? With utilities near, perhaps its prime for development.
Obviously this could result in a nice lump sum payout, or even a nice income stream for a few years if you are willing to carry the paper. As it's doing nothing right now, that could be a nice option for you and would greatly enhance the marketability of the property.

Well done! I'm a retired Home Inspector and you've done the impossible... improved my outlook on Realtors! :p;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top