JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Back in 2011 I did my first round of having a proper longterm food strategy for our young family. Now that the kids are out of the house and we are downsizing our home I am wondering what to do with our supply of #10 can LDS sourced food. Our local Parish food pantry only works with store bought individual sized donations. with it 10 years into a 25 year shelf life is there any value or people in need that could make use of it?

Once we land at our next location I will start over and focus on our current/future needs and wants.

I can't speak for food banks (which probably would not accept FD food, especially 10 year old food), but if it is a quality brand (like Mountain House), I am sure there are plenty of people who would gladly accept it - maybe even buy it at a pro-rated price. You have kids, maybe get them started on prepping for emergencies by divying it up between them. I prep for my kids because they cannot afford to themselves.

Put it up for sale in the classifieds. Just be sure to list the manufacture/purchase dates and best by dates. Or maybe donate it to Union Gospel Mission or similar?

In this political climate, you should find the space to store it.

That's what I would do. I recently opened and tried a couple of regular "grocery store" bought cans of veggies and some meaty soups from my stash that are 7 years past the printed "best by" date. The contents smelled fine, but the taste was ever so slightly "tinny", but was edible and didn't cause "indigestion"… brave, eh? LOL!

I am, however going to phase all of that out with freeze-dried fare, and potable water storage starting next month. This month I acquired a back-up generator that's large enough to power everything in my house, and I installed a tri-fuel conversion kit so it'll run on gasoline, LP, or NG for maximum flexibility if one fuel source becomes scarce. I also installed the auxiliary electrical circuit and interlock in my service panel… it all works awesomely.

Last Edited:
You may feel it's beyond your smaller family sized needs, however, you still have a minimum of 15 years to incorporate it into your weekly menu. Those large tins can be broken down into smaller sized portions and packaged or frozen and consumed over a period of time. "Value'" wise I think you would be getting pennies on the dollar to sell it. A tax deduction might be an option. Contacting local shelters I'm sure would be able to assist you to locate an appropriate recipient.

You might also consider that in a great time of need, what you feel is currently "in suplus" to your personal needs, they would be of a great benefit to your family or neighbors that may not be as prepared as they should be. Trading food stuffs for other items you may find yourself in need of is also a very valid reason to make the best use of your investment.

If it's at all practical, I would hold on to what you have.

Here in Corvallis I would call a soup kitchen that's run by a local church to donate that sort of thing. I'm guessing there are probably soup kitchens in most other cities.

Send me a list of what you've got and I'll help take some off your hands.
Hey there OldTengu,

I just went through my stuff and I have 15 milar bags for 5 gallon bucket and 18 #10 cans of dry milk. Dated April 2011. My family is older and none of us drink milk. Let me know if you are interested.

milk.jpg

Hey everyone, Thanks for the great input. Again, my main motivation was not having a proper place to store my current inventory. After hearing all your inputs I prioritized our greatest needs. Pulled the newer mountain house for my wife and I. Gave the other spaghetti, dry apples, refried beans, rice and eggs to the kids as they set up their new home. I do have 18 #10 cans of milk. None of us drink milk any more so that is what we are parting with In the past, I used it alot and even made yogurt with it. Nothing but good things to say about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top