JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Poly lowers are cool until they break. Ive had one break on me, so has my buddy. I was not rough with the poly lower I had, it still broke.. so for me, Ill never buy one again.
YMMV.. but aluminum is proven.

The new one from KE Arms is looking promising.
I saw Ian talking about it. I did miss the boat on the CavArms mono lowers. Ian and that Fifth Element haircut Karl (from In-Range) are pretty critical of junk products and helped get this new version get going.. Ill wait to see more info shake out before picking one up though.

If these new ones hold up, Id kick that poly lower skunk again.

I always wanted one of the Carbon -15's. They were super light and had a very cool look.

I was young and poor at the time these were readily available.
Carbon-15 was quite possibly the worst AR design ever brought to market.
They we so failure prone, Bushmaster should have stepped up with a replacement program.
At least they are not making them anymore.

Screen-Shot-12-07-20-at-05-48-AM.png

Carbon-15 was quite possibly the worst AR design ever brought to market.
They we so failure prone, Bushmaster should have stepped up with a replacement program.
At least they are not making them anymore.

I am sure they are basically the same gun, but that is not the one I am talking about.

These ones,

4511_20090623010157_1.jpg

I happened to watch the video on the monolithic lowers a few days ago.

Interestingly I don't think its really a "polymer" issue as much as its the design of the AR lower that just doesn't lend itself to it. I have 2 B&T's that both use polymer lowers and both are exceptional firearms and both are not just "military grade" in marketing speak but actually in service with numerous militaries including the US Army that just ordered a bunch of B&T's APC9's.

Other than a monolithic lower like the below video, I don't see where there would be any point in trying to design around the issue with the AR lowers to make it work. And the ones using various reinforcements like steel or aluminum for the buffer tube attachment winds up driving up the cost to the point where there isn't any dollars saved and that hybrid approach drives the weight up as well to where the weight savings wouldn't justify it either.

Polymers definitely can work in the right design. I can't say the AR's as designed are the right place for them. I'm sure at some point in the future polymers might get to the strength required and make this possible, just not quite yet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top