JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just wait my man. No sense in getting on a sh*t list right at 18. Yes, the law should be on your side, but in this era.. its not without a good legal battle in some cases.
The world isnt ending, you're only 3 years away.. CHLs and pistols will still be around in 3 years. Depending on how young you look or present yourself.. even if the law is on your side (technically) you are just asking for more attention than what you truly want to have.

I do support open carry, Im a libertarian.. but a 18yo using an 80% work around? Its just asking for trouble. And I dont mean that in a fudd way.. I can see where you're coming from.. but we're in a different era and this 80% thing you're getting at is simply going to act as a nail in the coffin if more choose to do the same.. In fact, it wont bring nearly any positive means with it should you get a lot of attention over this. Not sure if you plan on open carrying your pistol or what.. but I foresee a negative outcome here. If you were to attend a rally or OC in the woods.. no problem! But baby faced 18yo open carrying a pistol he made.. as a libertarian I celebrate that.. as a gun owner knowing this is a truly rough time politically for the 2A comminity.. I dont see positive outcomes here.
download.jpeg-12.jpg

Just wait my man. No sense in getting on a sh*t list right at 18. Yes, the law should be on your side, but in this era.. its not without a good legal battle in some cases.
The world isnt ending, you're only 3 years away.. CHLs and pistols will still be around in 3 years. Depending on how young you look or present yourself.. even if the law is on your side (technically) you are just asking for more attention than what you truly want to have.

I do support open carry, Im a libertarian.. but a 18yo using an 80% work around? Its just asking for trouble. And I dont mean that in a fudd way.. I can see where you're coming from.. but we're in a different era and this 80% thing you're getting at is simply going to act as a nail in the coffin if more choose to do the same.. In fact, it wont bring nearly any positive means with it should you get a lot of attention over this. Not sure if you plan on open carrying your pistol or what.. but I foresee a negative outcome here. If you were to attend a rally or OC in the woods.. no problem! But baby faced 18yo open carrying a pistol he made.. as a libertarian I celebrate that.. as a gun owner knowing this is a truly rough time politically for the 2A comminity.. I dont see positive outcomes here.
I completely understand

You can legally own a rifle at 18 bro! Get an AR15 or AK or Shotgun nobody going to mess with you! P80s are a bit sketchy and no matter how good the craftsmanship of a p80 build I would not count on it as a conceal carry/open carry option. Only time I would consider open carry is out in the woods/forest. Personally I think the law that prevents anybody 18-20 from possessing a handgun is ridiculous when you can enlist in the infantry at 18.. Best advice I can give is just wait! As soon as you start looking for ways around gun laws you start to get into that grey area better to err on the side of caution!

You can legally own a rifle at 18 bro! Get an AR15 or AK or Shotgun nobody going to mess with you! P80s are a bit sketchy and no matter how good the craftsmanship of a p80 build I would not count on it as a conceal carry/open carry option. Only time I would consider open carry is out in the woods/forest. Personally I think the law that prevents anybody 18-20 from possessing a handgun is ridiculous when you can enlist in the infantry at 18.. Best advice I can give is just wait! As soon as you start looking for ways around gun laws you start to get into that grey area better to err on the side of caution!
There is no law that prevents those 18-20 from possessing a handgun in Oregon (except for concealed carry).

One of the problems you may encounter if you are carrying, even if you are doing everything legally, is the high probability of having a bad experience with law enforcement. Many officers may not know / respect any right you have to own and or carry a gun. You are not likely to educate them on the street.

until your 21 thats true, but are you prepared to handle the potential fallout from open carrying? Also note its not legal to open carry without a concealed permit in some places in Oregon....
And a lot of the places you can open carry you are not allowed to carry with a loaded firearm. Unless you have a CHL. Ammo and gun have to be separate. Which in my opinion makes open carry even more stupid.

One of the problems you may encounter if you are carrying, even if you are doing everything legally, is the high probability of having a bad experience with law enforcement. Many officers may not know / respect any right you have to own and or carry a gun. You are not likely to educate them on the street.
Better get legal insurance with it like USCCA and dont say a word when they arrest you and instantly call for a lawyer. Later, sue for damages for false arrest.

Because I don't think I can get a concealed carry permit at 18 but I can open carry
At this point, do what you think is right 90 + percent of people are caught up in their own importance & won't even notice you, those who do are probably carrying as well. If you conduct yourself properly you'd have anything to worry about.

If you walk through a truly dangerous area, I don't think open carry is the deterrent or solution you imagine it to be.
Have you shot much ? Practiced retention while someone's smacking you in the face ?
Walk a longer, safer route. Don't look like a dinner to predators.

let me elaborate on my prior reply as it's a quiet morning.
Some things to think about: I can't answer these as every situation is different and unpredictable- all I can say is train in something so you can at least turn a fight in your favor...Can you defend yourself without a gun- are you reasonably fit- Do some contact based martial art- Krav Maga or Thai Boxing - it's actually fun, you'll get fit, you'll exude confidence and you'll learn to control your fight or flight reflex to some extent when getting punched in the face. I'm not joking about that part.
If you feel afraid, chances are you look afraid- work on that and you're going to be a million times safer already.

Think hard on scenarios- you're open carrying- what do you think that communicates to casual muggers? what do you think it communicates to serious, hardened thugs ? Are you that kid that walks home the same time, the same route with a potentially free gun on their hip ?
What are you going to do, walking home, if you see someone you don't like the look of ? Are they actually a real threat, or someone you just don't like the look of because of race, size, dress ?
Are you going to rest your hand on your gun, are you going to draw ? Are you going to wait until they get closer before deciding ? How close ? What if they see the gun and your nervousness and start taunting you- are you going to threaten them with it ? Will your hand moving to the gun spark an escalating situation ?
What if they didn't look threatening, they're close and now they've just sucker punched you- are you going to be trying to draw with your hands down by your belt while they just keep pounding your head or can you fight to make distance ? What about multiple attackers ?
You end up shooting someone- what then ? Would it have been a better outcome to just hand over your wallet and phone and go home mad, but alive ? What would be the consequences for you ? Jail time ? Massive legal bills, civil suits ? Remorse that you took a life ?

let me elaborate on my prior reply as it's a quiet morning.
Some things to think about: I can't answer these as every situation is different and unpredictable- all I can say is train in something so you can at least turn a fight in your favor...Can you defend yourself without a gun- are you reasonably fit- Do some contact based martial art- Krav Maga or Thai Boxing - it's actually fun, you'll get fit, you'll exude confidence and you'll learn to control your fight or flight reflex to some extent when getting punched in the face. I'm not joking about that part.
If you feel afraid, chances are you look afraid- work on that and you're going to be a million times safer already.

Think hard on scenarios- you're open carrying- what do you think that communicates to casual muggers? what do you think it communicates to serious, hardened thugs ? Are you that kid that walks home the same time, the same route with a potentially free gun on their hip ?
What are you going to do, walking home, if you see someone you don't like the look of ? Are they actually a real threat, or someone you just don't like the look of because of race, size, dress ?
Are you going to rest your hand on your gun, are you going to draw ? Are you going to wait until they get closer before deciding ? How close ? What if they see the gun and your nervousness and start taunting you- are you going to threaten them with it ? Will your hand moving to the gun spark an escalating situation ?
What if they didn't look threatening, they're close and now they've just sucker punched you- are you going to be trying to draw with your hands down by your belt while they just keep pounding your head or can you fight to make distance ? What about multiple attackers ?
You end up shooting someone- what then ? Would it have been a better outcome to just hand over your wallet and phone and go home mad, but alive ? What would be the consequences for you ? Jail time ? Massive legal bills, civil suits ? Remorse that you took a life ?
Very good. But those are also all things for everyone to consider who carries a gun...

There is more to consider, are you being robbed at gunpoint? Does the attacker have any other weapon? Is he pointing a 1911 at you without the hammer cocked? Those are small details that would give you tine to react.

Very good. But those are also all things for everyone to consider who carries a gun...

There is more to consider, are you being robbed at gunpoint? Does the attacker have any other weapon? Is he pointing a 1911 at you without the hammer cocked? Those are small details that would give you tine to react.
You are absolutely right- but having a visible gun creates it's own unique set of circumstances- especially if you appear young, nervous and inexperienced.

Unfortunately you'll learn that gun stores are not places for legal advice, probably not a place for any advice. But neither are online forums :D That being being said, look up the Oregon Revised Statues, probably nothing stating you cannot build/assemble a firearm, nothing federal that I have seen either. Being 18 in Oregon you can own a pistol, just not buy one from an FFL. So I assume the same for building.

FYI - IANL

Good luck
Ya know, theres this gun shop in Portland called the Gun Room and they always give excellent advice :cool:

Build it, train with it, get to know it, and practice good safety at all times! It's your 2nd Amendment right, if everything is ready to go, complete the 80% and enjoy responsibly; as has already been pointed out, it is not illegal!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top