JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
There are more than 20,000 gun-related laws and regulations in the United States. Empirical studies have consistently shown, however, that gun control measures have a very mild effect on the number of gun-related deaths; more important are socioeconomic variables like poverty level, unemployment, domestic violence, increased urbanization, gang activity, and substance abuse (especially alcohol). Regardless the scientific reality, proponents of gun control relentlessly march on. Demographic studies show that the least likely person to support gun control is a Republican or Independent Male, while the most likely person to support gun control is a Democrat Female. A 2015 study by Peterson found that 52% of Republicans favored some form of gun control, while 64% of Democrats did. Gun control advocates especially like to leverage the raw emotions of Americans when mass shootings occur (e.g., the recent shootings in Buffalo NY and Uvalde TX). And clearly, this country is experiencing repeated mass murders using firearms, despite that we are one of the world's richest and most developed nations. Gun owners, and the nonprofit associations they belong to, have long guarded the Second Amendment and their right to bear arms with the fewest limitations possible, but even some gun owners have been emotionally tweaked by the latest mass shootings, especially the 19 children killed in Uvalde. So this poll is presented as a way to ascertain general perspectives from NWFA members when it comes to some of the more popular gun control measures that have been proposed. Unfortunately, this website limits it to just a thumbs up or down poll for each measure as opposed to a weighted choice (such as a 1 low to 5 high scale for each measure). And I want to reiterate that this poll is in NO WAY intended to promote gun control, its only intent is to elicit NWFA member perspectives.
I don't support any of those and I'd go so far as to propose the repeal of all gun laws infringing on the 2nd amendment and Oregon's version of same.

I have a question especially for the objectors to this poll because it wasn't about "none" options; What can we do to mitigate 18-year-olds buying these guns and walking into schools?

I have a question especially for the objectors to this poll because it wasn't about "none" options; What can we do to mitigate 18-year-olds buying these guns and walking into schools?
Not sure...
However , I do know that none of the options will prevent or to use your word mitigate that from happening either.
Andy

Edit to add :
What to do ...

An elective non political firearm safety class offered in schools....
One that covers basic firearm safety and ID ...as well as basic ballistics and just what firearms and projectiles actual do.

A re-vamping of the exsisting firearm laws....keep what is actually effective and tossing the rest out...
Enforcing laws that are effective .....
Teaching and modeling Empathy and respect for others and life itself....

Last Edited:
Not sure...
However , I do know that none of the options will prevent or to use your word mitigate that from happening either.
Andy
do you think the option to raise the age of buying a rifle to 21 would not have mitigated the Ulvade shooter from acting?

do you think the option to raise the age of buying a rifle to 21 would not have mitigated the Ulvade shooter from acting?
With that logic, raise it to 99 because there is probably no history of anyone that old ever committing violence with a gun. "Problem solved."

18 , 21 , or whatever you wish it don't matter....
A 21 year old or any age person , may have done the same actions as the Ulvade shooter.

Also..
You are either a adult at 18 or not....I dislike age brackets for things....
If you are 18 and can enjoy all the other Rights...then you should be able to buy / own firearms.
Andy

With that logic, raise it to 99 because there is probably no history of anyone that old ever committing violence with a gun. "Problem solved."
so then is there a pro-gun solution to preventing or mitigating mass or school shootings?

18 , 21 , or whatever you wish it don't matter....
A 21 year old or any age person , may have done the same actions as the Ulvade shooter.

Also..
You are either a adult at 18 or not....I dislike age brackets for things....
If you are 18 and can enjoy all the other Rights...then you should be able to buy / own firearms.
Andy
this is a very good point.
So lets remove the age metric from this. Schools or public places as well, the Vegas shooter didnt choose a school.

Is there a pro-gun solution to preventing or mitigating mass shootings?

this is a very good point.
So lets remove the age metric from this. Schools or public places as well, the Vegas shooter didnt choose a school.

Is there a pro-gun solution to preventing or mitigating mass shootings?
No....you can't make a solution to someone else's issues or problems.

You own guns....
Are you going to shoot up a school....?

I would guess that you ain't.
What keeps you from doing so...?
A "solution" maybe , is to apply , teach and model that to others....
Andy

Last Edited:
The answer is identifying and resolving what causes a person to develop the mindset to plan and carry out such a tragedy, not merely restrict access to the tools with which they carry it out.

No....you can't make a solution to someone else's issues or problems.

You own guns....
Are you goiong to shoot up a school....?

I would guess that you ain't.
What keeps you from doing so...?
A "solution" maybe is to apply , teach and model that to others....
Andy
the problem is this isnt just someone elses problem, this is a problem that affects every single person. A problem that affected 21 kids that had zero interaction with the shooter prior to his rage.

There is a problem, and when one side of the subject does not present a solution the other sides solution will become law. If we pro gun proponents do not offer a solution, we will lose.

"Schools". Pretty G-D easy and inexpensive to limit who comes in when school's in session, isn't it? Door locked to entry, but not exit. An armed officer or two in schools? Cameras? Motion detectors?. Door alerts? WTF, how many presidential cycles have we had and this bubblegum hasn't been done already. Oh hey! We have slowed traffic and have great bicycle infrastructure!
Quit screaming about guns and make the tax suckers make schools safe.
G'damn, I can't believe we're still having these discussions after all these years.

Not sure...
Andy
The shooter gained access to the school through an unlocked door that should have been secured. There apparently was 10-12 minutes of shooting outside before he entered the school. Not sure how he knew that door was unsecured.

Humans aren't perfect but the school seemingly had time to ensure their protocols were in place. There was plenty of shooting, time wise, before he entered the school. That wasn't about background checks or drug use or whatever gun law meant to stop these, that was a huge fail from the school staff.

There's no guarantee of what could have happened if that door was locked. But we know what did happen because it was open.

The answer is identifying and resolving what causes a person to develop the mindset to plan and carry out such a tragedy, not merely restrict access to the tools with which they carry it out.
Now, we are talking about pro gun solutions here. Can we expand on how we can identify and respond to the signs of someone going thru such a mental state? Would it be possible to arrest people who threaten violence on society like the Ulvade shooter did prior to attacking?

the problem is this isnt just someone elses problem, this is a problem that affects every single person. A problem that affected 21 kids that had zero interaction with the shooter prior to his rage.

There is a problem, and when one side of the subject does not present a solution the other sides solution will become law. If we pro gun proponents do not offer a solution, we will lose.
I disagree with the first...
As I own firearms ...yet I ain't going to shoot up a school , so it ain't my problem or issue.

Again I ask....
You own firearms....
Are you going to shoot up a school.....?

And again I would guess ( or know that you won't , from reading your postings ) , that you ain't going to.

So ...
Maybe a soilution is to teach , model and apply what keeps you from doing so to others....
Andy

Last Edited:
That is the real issue: the shooter, not the gun. Anyone willing to murder another human being, especially random human beings, is by definition mentally unfit and thereby should not be allowed to own any kind of weapon. The crux of the problem in the United States is a failure of systems designed to identify and constrain people who are mentally unfit. This seems to be especially true for children and young adults. Our current system is an abject failure. Don't expect real solutions until that happens...

The shooter gained access to the school through an unlocked door that should have been secured. There apparently was 10-12 minutes of shooting outside before he entered the school. Not sure how he knew that door was unsecured.

Humans aren't perfect but the school seemingly had time to ensure their protocols were in place. There was plenty of shooting, time wise, before he entered the school. That wasn't about background checks or drug use or whatever gun law meant to stop these, that was a huge fail from the school staff.

There's no guarantee of what could have happened if that door was locked. But we know what did happen because it was open.
True...
However....Locking doors ain't a poll option...which is what my post was about .
Andy

I disagree witht the first...
As I own firearms ...yet I ain't going to shoot up a school , so it ain't my problem or issue.
This does affect me, it affects you, it affects all of us. You can be certain that this is a problem that you and I and all of us have because there is a major political movement attempting to take away what you and I feel is a right to own. If we dont come to the table with a solution then our rights will disappear.

So ...
Maybe a soilution is to teach , model and apply what keeps you from doing so to others....
Andy
this, is a solution. This is what we need to find a way to get thru to America. Earlier this year Fla. Gov. Desantis signed a Fatherhood" bill into law that gave funding and resources to start programs to help kids without father figures.
I think it would be good to promote this idea in all states and link it with the idea of reducing mentally unstable kids....

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads