JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I owned one AR15 then I...

• Sold it and never purchased another firearm

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Sold it to purchase another firearm

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Bought additional AR15s

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Started buiding AR15s

Votes: 56 66.7%

• Total voters
I remember the first one I was handed to train with. I thought the ammo looked kinda puny compared to my 30-30 back on the farm?

Anyways they didn't let me keep it. Or the latter ones I was issued.
Too bad. That style shot like it was on fire!

Last Edited:
One reason I set the poll was misleading information set out in the public about semi autos and the split within the gun community over them as well.

I know what I think but I also wanted to get a flavor of what actual gun owns do with their black rifles. I've bought and built but never sold, yet. Well I traded once.

I didn't own one nor did I ever really think I wanted one until the left told me how bad and evil they are. Big mistake, I have since developed a passion for the black rifle due to its modularity. Its like Lego's for big boy's. Then of course when you have a few spare parts around... well there's another build.

Thanks Lefties, I needed another hobby
Same here. Never was really interested in them until certain government officials started saying I shouldn't be able to own one..
Now fast forward 5 years and let's just say I may have a problem...:)

There is no vote that tracks with my experience either. I was late to the whole AR thing, at least owning one. Then I acquired one, SBRed and suppressed it, and called it good. Do I like it? Darn toot'n, I do. Do I feel the need for more? Not now. Maybe in the future, maybe not. (shrug)

View attachment 498695

Hmmmmm....I like that! Next project! What silencer are you running on that?

E

The first AR-15's I ever shot were a pair I built. I still have them plus a Ruger AR556 I traded a Mini-14 for and an Adams AR308. My reason for the platform is self defense, though all are very accurate and can be used for hunting. If it was just hunting I'd have one in each cartridge. IMO you need at least a couple if you have a spouse and an extra besides since "two is one and one is none" if things ever go gunnysack.

I've always liked semi auto anything.Bought my first AR for a coyote rifle, better chance for doubles and triples.2nd one because I wanted a pistol.3 rd because I needed a 308. 4 th because they make one in 7.62x 39.next one will be in a pistol caliber.
Now if I can afford it I will buy one, they will only be harder to get in the future. Maybe start buying parts to put together in the future.

How we as gun owners* view such items can be vastly different than how a non- gun owner sees them.
Our perception is often based on our experience or where we gather our information...which again can be worlds apart from the non-gun owner.

And that is why I say f' them. My perception is based on first hand experience, most of their's is based on the lack of.

I have a scary black rifle in the safe, sometimes build a half dozen or so in a week for people as far as my job, but am really not too impressed with them. I'll take an old beater SKS over the latest greatest AR15 chambering any day. The look and feel of wood and steel beats plastic and aluminum.

I built my first one, a flattop 20". Usually referred to as A4 style. Soon I wanted a 16" barrel and bought a S&W m&p. Didn't shoot it much and just sold it. I have plans to build a .204 Ruger in the coming months, could possibly end up an AR platform.

While I like my AR I really don't get the fascination. For me it's a decent quality gun that parts are readily available for and in a SHTF situation would be a great firearm to have. For practical shooting this is how I look at it:
1) If I want something for home protection, I'll grab my MPX 9mm, 9mm pistol, or 12 ga before I'll go for an AR15.
2) If I want a hunting rifle, it will be a bolt action and not semi auto.
3) If I were to build a long range semi auto .308, it would be on an M1A platform and not an AR10.

To each is own but they just never interested me as much as other rifles.

I don't mind plastic and steel...

But I need to stop bringing the oven mitt!

C60E62EB-183C-42ED-926D-FA1238357041.jpeg

And that is why I say f' them. My perception is based on first hand experience, most of their's is based on the lack of.

To be fair , their perception may be based on their first hand experience...
A negative encounter with a gun or gun owner , may have a lasting impact...

Saying "F" them may cause more problems...
Please note that I am not saying that you should give up on what you believe or have experienced...
Nor am I saying that you should take any grief from anyone...
But :
A in your face "F" them outlook , can cause further attitude from the opposing side and make things worse.
I know that "F" you tossed my way , will make my reply a bit more "colorful"....

Also in my post which you quoted , I did indeed note that there are differences in where perceptions / experiences are gathered...which will color or influence ones thinking....
This by the way ...works for both sides of the issue...which was the point of my post.
Andy

To be fair , their perception may be based on their first hand experience...
A negative encounter with a gun or gun owner , may have a lasting impact...

Saying "F" them may cause more problems...
Please note that I am not saying that you should give up on what you believe or have experienced...
Nor am I saying that you should take any grief from anyone...
But :
A in your face "F" them outlook , can cause further attitude from the opposing side and make things worse.
I know that "F" you tossed my way , will make my reply a bit more "colorful"....

Also in my post which you quoted , I did indeed note that there are differences in where perceptions / experiences are gathered...which will color or influence ones thinking....
This by the way ...works for both sides of the issue...which was the point of my post.
Andy

I hear what you are saying but I am done with the lying POS.

@titsonritz

I am not sure that we are all that different in our outlook...
Nor am I understanding why you keep quoting me.
For the record :
I am not asking you to do any thing different ....
Or change how you view this topic...

The point of my post was that people's perception can :
Mean more than the truth...
That the truth can mean something different to different people...

My statement here :
A AR15 rifle is just a semi automatic rifle , like many others , it is capable of placing a bullet on the target with great precision....
Is my perception of the truth , based on my first hand experiences...

The statement that a AR15 is a killing machine and no one should own one...

May be just as true for someone else with their first hand experiences...

Even if I do not agree with them...it still does not make that statement any less "true" for them...just like my statement , which is "true" to me ....

I am not against folks owning a AR15 or any firearm that they want....nor am I wanting anymore bans , restrictions , or anything else...Bans , restrictions and the like are worthless.
Andy

I was never a "Fan" of the AR until I became a civilian and found the ammo manufactures made better ammo for the rifles then what I had carried and used! Still not my favorite platform by a long shot, but it's sure a handy little carbine for when I choose to use one! I'm also relatively new to the building AR craze, but am very happy with my 3 retro builds. I have also been looking at the big bore variants, speciffically the .45 cal versions that get me close to .45/70 performance in a semi auto! Thats a awefully handy back up hunting rifle when things get sporty with big predators! The other possible need is to stop a charging F-250 loaded down with hungry predators of the two legged variety!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top