JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought one of these years ago chambered in 38 S&W. It had been used somewhere as a police gun in the UK....they loved the 38 S&W. It was for a girlfriend and was a jewel. I bought a 38 Special cylinder and changed it out......Thankyou Eli Whitney......it was a wonderful work of art.

The original sqibbed Colt 6" barrel says "Official Police .38"
The replacement 4" barrel says "Official Police .38 Special CTG"

pix693937150.jpg

pix959702948.jpg

Nothing against Midway, or Brownell's, but Numrich is the place for original style replacement parts. Great company to deal with.

Agreed, I've bought a ton of parts for older guns from Numrich. And a few newer parts from Midway (most recently for an SBR build) and to a much lesser extent Brownells. :)

I miss the free shipping code of the day specials that Numrich use to offer.
Velzey said that he would look around his shop for a vintage set of grips.

The original sqibbed Colt 6" barrel says "Official Police .38"
The replacement 4" barrel says "Official Police .38 Special CTG"

View attachment 396822

View attachment 396823
I bet one of those barrels is from a 38 Long Colt and the other is a 38 special. I have run across that before. As long as you are using the correct ammo the cylinder is bored for, you should be OK. I assume the barrel with the cut frame stub is the new one? Kind of cheep of them not to remove that.

Both pics are the same barrel.
The gun shop that sold the barrel probably didn't want take the time to remove it, as they started the bid at $5.00

From the Interweb.

"By 1908 Colt was making their new Police Positive and New Army revolvers in ".38 Colt Special", which was nothing more than the standard .38 Smith & Wesson Special with a different head stamp"

Both pics are the same barrel.
The gun shop that sold the barrel probably didn't want take the time to remove it, as they started the bid at $5.00
I would check the cylinder boring closely. Colt used to label 38 LC guns as 38. Specials were labeled as such. Early Colt revolvers (like 1977's, 1892, 1898, 1902) were not built in 38 Special.

Last Edited:
Gee, I checked my dresser drawer and pulled out a 1944 Colt Official Police in pretty good condition. Some holster wear, but otherwise in great condition. Hogue grips, but I think that I have the originals somewhere. Not as nice as the OP's. Actually it is my first protection gun until I can pull the Mossberg 500 out of the closet. I was told by a reputable gunsmith that it could handle +P ammo for self defense purposes. Any thoughts on the occasional +P?

Gee, I checked my dresser drawer and pulled out a 1944 Colt Official Police in pretty good condition. Some holster wear, but otherwise in great condition. Hogue grips, but I think that I have the originals somewhere. Not as nice as the OP's. Actually it is my first protection gun until I can pull the Mossberg 500 out of the closet. I was told by a reputable gunsmith that it could handle +P ammo for self defense purposes. Any thoughts on the occasional +P?
Why?

I'd have Velzey make sure the mainspring is up to snuff.. you don't want to lead up your new barrel, lol.
The standard practical test is if it sets off CCI primers reliably in DA mode, it's good.

I'd have Velzey make sure the mainspring is up to snuff.. you don't want to lead up your new barrel, lol.
The standard practical test is if it sets off CCI primers reliably in DA mode, it's good.

That's the first thing Velzey mentioned. It locks up tight when you manually cock the hammer, but when you just close the cylinder into the frame it doesn't want to lock in place.
All in all, it's not a bad looking Colt for it's age. Came with a cool vintage holster too.

That does make me wonder, 100, 200 years from now, will people look back on guns like the AR and see them as we see those beautiful works of art made from steel, wood, bronze, etc.? Will there be gatherings of AR history enthusiasts, dressing in 21st century clothing while they relive the good old days?
They will dress in olive-drab bdu jungle fatigues and carry triangular-hand guard M16A1, or if lucky the slick-sided... some might even have a revolver like this stashed on their person...

Found this old (1928) Police Positive in .38 Special today. Looks like it has sat in a dresser draw for the last 69 years. (Photo a little washed out from the light reflection.)

View attachment 362046

(Different angle)

View attachment 362047

Dealer thought this was a .38 Long Colt or something until I pointed out this marking on the barrel.

View attachment 362048

View attachment 362049

This is really nice. Don't know if I will have enough nerve to actually shoot it.

(Guess my new "Cobra" will have to wait.)

Trooper Joe
That really is a nice lookin Colt... dang, that old too.. I mean, seriously... like it came thru a time warp or somethin! A real treasure indeed.:)
I have a Police Positive Special from the '40's IIRC, that I hunted for decades to find and it isnt as nice looking.