JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeabut then he'd have a plastic wonder rifle and not a super cool wood and steel revolver....:D
And we all know plastic is a passing fad ... it will never catch on. :eek::rolleyes:
( Just kidding )
Andy

You've got it Andy! Those silly plastic rifles will go out of style faster than Rap music! :D

As to the other question, i.e. Shoot/don't shoot, first ascertain if it has been fired. If it has, I don't think a few more times is going to be that detrimental to its value!
BEAUTIFUL OLD COLT FOR SURE!!! :) Note how sharp the grip checkering still is!

I was not disparaging Trooper Joe or anyone else. My point was that I buy to shoot not collect. In a poorly worded, round about way I was hoping to encourage Trooper Joe to go shoot it and enjoy it.

My apologies for not being more clear.
Oh you.. either way all good.

Thousand dollar guns are thousand dollar guns.. been shooting them all my life.. from since a thousand dollars would buy something.
anyways.. nothing but a thing

I was not disparaging Trooper Joe or anyone else. My point was that I buy to shoot not collect. In a poorly worded, round about way I was hoping to encourage Trooper Joe to go shoot it and enjoy it.

My apologies for not being more clear.

I think all knew what you meant. You get some of that "noise" here, don't worry. I personally have never been into "collecting" either. If I buy a gun that has never been fired it will not stay that way more than hours or maybe days after I get my hands on it. Nothing wrong with those who do like to have guns that are not shot. I had a Mod.29 like this one time. In the wood display box and all. Only bought it because the deal was too good. It bothered me so much I had to go out and buy a beat up one so I could shoot that. It was not long before someone who just had to have the un-fired one paid me handsomely for it.That was many decades ago and I suspect that 29 is still sitting un-fired somewhere. Hey to each his own. I just tell people if they are not sure about something like this it's wise to check first. Some times you run across something others will pay you well for as it is. Well enough for you to go buy something to shoot and have a lot left over. People who collect often have a lot of disposable cash just waiting for the "right one" they want.

No problem Ikemay.

Every time I think about this thing being 89 years old I am amazed. I also have a model 12 S&W, 4" bbl (alloy frame) that I really do not want to shoot so that I do not put stress on the frame. However, this gun has been probably waiting 89 years for someone to gently (or not so gently) use it.

Thanks for all the great replies gang.

Trooper Joe

Dick Tracy just called and he wants his pistol back!:);)

Brutus Out

I always envisioned Dick Tracy with a COLT Detective Special, blue, 2"? The early model, with the half moon front sight and an ejector rod that just hung there under the barrel.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I would do some checking before you even start playing with it. That may very well have some collector interest. One may be willing to pay you more than you paid for it to have it in such pristine condition.
Checking never hurts, but Colt made a ton of these and they aren't particularly collectible due to supply. I have a 3" version in pristine condition they are worth what you paid - never know when things go up in the future, but rarity counts for a lot and these are not. I have others, so I don't actually shoot mine is is part of the collection intended for my son.

Well, I just got back from the range with the 1928 Colt Police Positive Special (.38 Special). We had a little ceremony at my gun club since this was probably the first time this was shot in it's 89 year life.

Used some real nice, 158 grn, Federal, LRN ammo (makes my heart sort of "fuzzy" just thinking about that ammo).

IMG_0483.jpg

Had a nice group at about 10 feet but a little low. I think at about 15 yards, the sights would be right on (same thing happened to my 1973 Colt Detective Special at the range).

Colt%20PPS%201st%20shots.jpg

The gun cleaned up perfectly after the range session.

IMG_0482.jpg

You guys and gals who voted to shoot it were right. It makes it even more fun to own it. I think if I had decided not to shoot it, it may have been tempting to just turn it and double (or more I am being told) my money.

This way, the gun is truly going to be a keeper.

By the way, the guys with the plastic guns at the range, were very nice, but also seemingly a little sheepish with their new toys.

Thanks for all the support gang.

Trooper Joe

Just picked up one of these made in 1927 at a local pawn shop for $155.00 out the door.
Someone had put the barrel in a vise so they could try and pound out the 4 squibs lodged in the middle of the bore.
I won a bid last night on GunBroker for a replacement 4" barrel ($21.00) and after Velzey does his magic, I'll have a decent truck gun for cheap.
By the way, Barney carried one of these on the Andy Griffith show back in the day, along with his single bullet.

Last Edited:
Anyone have a set of grips that will fit this relic for sale or trade.
I'm trying to see how inexpensive I can put this old revolver back into working order.

When I was Barney for Halloween I had to substitute a Pre Model 15 S&W cuz I didn't have the Colt. Did load up one dummy round to go in my shirt pocket, though. Too bad this photo doesn't show my black belt and basket weave holster, either.
Barney.jpg

I was selling a firearm to a member over a month ago when the pawn shop owner told me that he just received a vintage Colt Revolver.
He knew I was a sucker for vintage Colt's and when it came up for sale he'd said he would let me know.
He did mention that there was a slight issue with the barrel. He said the bore needed a good cleaning.
At that price, I figured it would make a fun project.
My biggest problem is Velzey getting so busy with all you guys sending him more work.