JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found this old (1928) Police Positive in .38 Special today. Looks like it has sat in a dresser draw for the last 69 years. (Photo a little washed out from the light reflection.)

IMG_0458.jpg

(Different angle)

IMG_0460.jpg

Dealer thought this was a .38 Long Colt or something until I pointed out this marking on the barrel.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

This is really nice. Don't know if I will have enough nerve to actually shoot it.

(Guess my new "Cobra" will have to wait.)

Trooper Joe

I would do some checking before you even start playing with it. That may very well have some collector interest. One may be willing to pay you more than you paid for it to have it in such pristine condition.
This is a great point. Not often that 89 year old pistols are found is such pristine condition... If it's the original finish, that's a candidate to be a safe Queen... Or King...

I used to have one of these that was nearly as nice. These are very well made and are great shooters. Just not my style. I traded it for a gun that my nephew was to use when we went hunting.

Great looking revolver!
If it were mine , I'd shoot it.
I'd also try to find a vintage style holster to go along with it.

I know that use and shooting will have it lose collector value ... But I don't feel that much value will be lost if you also maintain the gun properly.
Plus "value" to me , means all aspects of owning a gun , to include shooting it...
If applicable ... I do own some antique guns that I won't shoot , because of historic value , extreme wood or metal fatigue etc ...

All in all you have a fine revolver ... enjoy as you see fit.
Andy
Edit for my lousy spelling...:D

Last Edited:
Great looking revolver!
If it were mine , I'd shoot it.
I'd also try to find a vintage style holster to go along with it.

I know that use and shooting will have it lose collector value ... But I don't fell that much value will be lost if you also maintain the gun properly.
Plus "value" to me , means all aspects of owning a gun , to include shooting it...
If applicable ... I do own some antique guns that I won't shoot , because of historic value , extreme wood or metal fatigue etc ...

All in all you have a fine revolver ... enjoy as you see fit.
Andy
Yeabut Andy! He could probably sell it and have enough money to buy an AR! come on

Yeabut then he'd have a plastic wonder rifle and not a super cool wood and steel revolver....:D
And we all know plastic is a passing fad ... it will never catch on. :eek::rolleyes:
( Just kidding )
Andy

That does make me wonder, 100, 200 years from now, will people look back on guns like the AR and see them as we see those beautiful works of art made from steel, wood, bronze, etc.? Will there be gatherings of AR history enthusiasts, dressing in 21st century clothing while they relive the good old days?

Like kinda has been alluded to, I'd shoot it too. A lot. A lot of people "buy" a girl (no slight to that Colt) for $2-5,000 a night (God bless 'em).. or put a billion on red.. and lose. whatever.
The differential of you tossing that thing in a ditch is $400 and then there's the using it and selling it and tossing in a ditch.. and everything in between. Let's call it $200 in the air.
Me, since I was a teenager, I use and abuse Belgian Hi-Power's.. that's my thing. whatever
I think I might be in the hole a positive wad.. thought that's not my goal.

I only get one's I will shoot, not even necessarily a lot ..... but not something I simply could not bring myself to shoot. I'm not wealthy enough to own something simply to look at and handle once in awhile.

I only get one's I will shoot, not even necessarily a lot ..... but not something I simply could not bring myself to shoot. I'm not wealthy enough to own something simply to look at and handle once in awhile.
What do you shoot? Do you keep your hipoint in a sock?
And I don't think $400 is "wealthy".

What do you shoot? Do you keep your hipoint in a sock?
And I don't think $400 is "wealthy".

I was not disparaging Trooper Joe or anyone else. My point was that I buy to shoot not collect. In a poorly worded, round about way I was hoping to encourage Trooper Joe to go shoot it and enjoy it.

My apologies for not being more clear.

Last Edited: