JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Would like to purchase a reliable dot scope suitable for tactical self-defense use on either of these two rifles Years ago I purchased the Bushnell TRS 25 only to find today it does not work. What would be a good match for either of these two carbines?

If you want something you can count on for self defense I'd say bite the bullet and get Trijicon MRO.

In the $250< range...
If you can stomach Made in China check out Holosun
Primary Arms SLx Advanced Rotary Knob Microdot is Assembled in Phillipines
Several of the Sigs are Assembled in USA and Japan

Otherwise have fun shopping...
Reflex red dot and holographic sights - Optics Database - SageRatSafaris.com

Last Edited:
I'm going to go with the $29.95 Tandemcross fiber optic front sight and stick with the rear peep on my PCC - heck it shoots into 1.5" at 50 yards now but I like the idea of a fibre optic so I'll give it a try!

I have been having good luck with holosun red dots. Lots of options in style and features as well as price. Best bet go somewhere with a decent stock if possible and try them.

I have a Holosun 407 on my Mini 14, works great from contact range out to at least 400 yards, my shooting partner and I were hitting a rock about the size of a 5 gal. bucket at that range awhile back. 2 MOA red dot, auto on when you move the rifle, around the $150 mark IIRC at Amazon. Had a PA version of a similar unit on an AR, the dot was more of an oval blob, the Holosun is much sharper. Not expecting to go to war, so this does what I need it to do. Later.

Dave

Would like to purchase a reliable dot scope suitable for tactical self-defense use on either of these two rifles Years ago I purchased the Bushnell TRS 25 only to find today it does not work. What would be a good match for either of these two carbines?

I'll ask too...Why does the TRS not work?

If you're correctly asking about a PC9 and not about a PCC in 9mm (different guns), a PC9 requires a rail adapter to convert the Ruger ring system to a rail. Then, any rail mounted sight will work.

I own both the original PC9/PC4 and the newer PCC in 9mm...

As an experiment, I mounted the very inexpensive TRS-25 to my PCC and it works marvelously. I am not normally a fan of Red/Green dot sights, but this one works so well, I'd have no problem using a higher end version on these little carbines if I was so inclined.

For a PC ( Carbine. I have two TRS 25 and one worked out of the box and the second did not. Reliability is a critical factor. You have had reliable success with the TRS 25?

For a PC ( Carbine. I have two TRS 25 and one worked out of the box and the second did not. Reliability is a critical factor. You have had reliable success with the TRS 25?

I have had only one TRS 25. It works very well. I also questioned such an inexpensive (cheap) unit. It was only for a temporary experiment to see if I'd even like such a sight. But it wont quit.
P1020390.jpg

Ironically, I do have one other red dot, another bargain (junk) unit, and it failed early.
P1020393.JPG
Let's just say the reflector lens is sensitive to recoil. I just re-gorilla-glued it back in, but never would I trust this sight anywhere but at the range.

We do get what we pay for.

Last Edited:
You can get a good deal on Bushnell Tac Optics Big D Red Dot Sight BT71X37. 37mm Objective Lens Diameter, 3 MOA dot. I bought two, one for $137 and one for $100 just recently. They are very nice, but larger than the TRS 25. I really like them and the extra 12mm objective. They listed for around $350.

DVOR has the Bushnell Tac Optics Big D Red Dot Sight BT71X37. 37mm Objective Lens Diameter, 3 MOA dot on sale for $115, list $358.95. I really like mine, but they are a little heavy at 10 ounces. They would wok perfectly on both your guns.

I have one of my two mounted on my Extar EP9, which is a light gun. The weight is not an issue.

Jump on it now, they are only on sale for 6 more days. $115 is worth the risk. You can always sell it for that price if it doesn't fit you needs.
1597956837659.png

I also bought a UTG 4x32 T4 Compact Prismatic Scope for $77, return from Amazon. They usually run around $150. Full range of color choices. I haven't mounted it yet, but playing with the colors is fun and if you have astigmatism the prismatic lens will solve the halo/multiple image problem with most red/green dots.

1597956582752.png

The Liberty ($250) has shake-n-wake, change the battery (without removing optic) once a year at most, RMR standard mount. Add a stainless shroud for $40. The only issue is that you need to pre-order to get one.

For reliability go with a prismatic like the Vortex Spitfire or Primary Arms ACSS Cyclops of you prefer the ACSS style reticle. The Spitfire has adjustable shades of red and green illumination and all prismatics have etched reticles so if your battery dies it still works.

If you go with a standard red dot or a holographic make sure you have BUIS that will co-witness in the event of battery failure or electrical/mechanical issues that prevent operation.

I recently replaced a Burris 323 because it was made IN china from Burris.Ouch, shot it to sight in then went with an American brand . 323 is 3x with red and green etc. I'd sell it cheap. I am disapointed that Burris would sell stuff they didn't make in the USA

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews