JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Not only does the Navy supply training, there is NOTHING you can do in the civilian world that will prepare you for BUDS, or SF selection. It is a different experience for each individual, and very much mental. If he goes straight from boot to BUDS he will physically be as physically prepared as he can be. He will be pushed, he will be injured, and if he wants to succeed he will learn to push through it and ignore it to prevail.

First; I would like to admen you pursuing your goal of becoming a SEAL, there are so many who dream but only a handful which go after that dream…

Now for the hard truth:
Your body seems to be ready and that is about 20% of the needed 100%, the other 80% is made up of an inner flame which will drive you through the intensive BUDs training. That flame is what most applicants of any special operations command lack and what leads to most washouts and dropouts.

If you believe that spending $6000.00, will somehow train you to have that flame in your belly or if you already have the flame; protect it from the freezing cold waters, long nights and endless motivational exercise; then you are sadly confused…

I wish you the best at all you do, but you cannot purchase desire or drive. A person cannot be taught to endure endless SUCK for long hours (days, weeks, months) at a time.

Advice:
Stick to Cross fit five times a week. Mid week do a short 3 mile run at 7min mile pace. End of the week do a long 6-8 mile run at a 9min mile pace (paying attention for injuries which will show).

Consitrate on the water (during and pass BUDs); PAY an instructor if you have to, whom will teach you the techniques needed to pass water confidence. If you are researching BUDs, you know what this consists of…

This is NOT intended as advice about planning to fail. But you will see that most people do not make it through SEAL training for some reason or another - or perhaps several. Every one of them was totally committed to succeeding, but sh... (stuff) happens.

Have at least some idea what backup plan you will pursue for the remainder of your Navy obligation if (God forbid) some unfortunate event or injury sidelines you from your goal.

If by the military supplying training you mean Navy bootcamp then yes they supply training. However, you and I both know Navy bootcamp isn't sufficient enough to just walk into BUDS.

Not only does the Navy supply training, there is NOTHING you can do in the civilian world that will prepare you for BUDS, or SF selection. It is a different experience for each individual, and very much mental. If he goes straight from boot to BUDS he will physically be as physically prepared as he can be. He will be pushed, he will be injured, and if he wants to succeed he will learn to push through it and ignore it to prevail.

You can always prepare yourself for tough situations whether in the military or civilian world. To say that someone going from boot to BUDS will be as physically prepared as they can be is a joke. Navy bootcamp is nothing compared to what someone would endure going through BUDS. I've never personally been through BUDS but I have seen people that are no where near physically fit come out of Navy bootcamp. Lets try to keep this post to positive encouragement and advice. Thanks, Eric

I agree that everyone's experience is different and that you can never be fully prepared for situations but training is never a bad thing. That's like a commander telling his troops "gentlemen, you can never fully prepare yourself for the battlefield so rather than train, we're just going to drink beer all day" ha ha would that make sense to anyone?

You will fail, why put yourself through that much pain just to washout at the end... Just get a nice job guaranteed to you in the contract which will keep you warm and dry... Sleep in a nice bed every night and a hot meal three times a day...

You will wash out in the first week, if not the first day...

NOTE: Moderators, I know this post has been reported... Lesson continues two post down...

I agree with the Crossfit suggestion. Find a well reviewed box in your area and tell them your goals. They WILL wreck you. SEALfit is based on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I want a new truck.

If you wish to donate please PM me and I will make payment arrangements.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with others that spending a bunch of time and $$$ training is pointless. You either have the heart or you dont. Its not something you can buy.

You will fail, why put yourself through that much pain just to washout at the end… Just get a nice job guaranteed to you in the contract which will keep you warm and dry… Sleep in a nice bed every night and a hot meal three times a day…

You will wash out in the first week, if not the first day…

Brother, Welcome to Special Operations mind F#ck!ng…

They will act like your best friend when you are at the lowest point in pain and motivation… They will talk you into quitting around every corner and make you question your own inner desire to be in that career field…

You don’t need this, you don’t want this, you don’t want to be here, etc…

If you can’t handle a little criticism over the net from your nice warn living room, how you will react when you are; soaking wet, every hole and craves full of sand, hungry, tired and full of endless pain…

Mike-Sierra out (figure that one out)

ermaclean.jpg

You can always prepare yourself for tough situations whether in the military or civilian world. To say that someone going from boot to BUDS will be as physically prepared as they can be is a joke. Navy bootcamp is nothing compared to what someone would endure going through BUDS. I've never personally been through BUDS but I have seen people that are no where near physically fit come out of Navy bootcamp. Lets try to keep this post to positive encouragement and advice. Thanks, Eric

I said what I said based upon personal experience. If you honestly believe that he can fully prepare in the civilian world for what he will go through in BUDS, then he is setting himself up for failure. Cool, you were in the Marines for 4 years. I joined the Marines in 94, was tapped on the shoulder for selection in 97, and retired from the Army last year. I was not being negative, I was being honest.

I'm not into blowing smoke up peoples asses to make them feel all warm and fuzzy about life. If he wants it badly enough, he will make it. If he does not, he wont...

There is no try, only do.

Have a good'n.

Trust me "brother" I've had my fair share of mind f!ck#ng. I can handle criticism and your post wasn't the one reported. I realized this thread wasn't going anywhere so I reported my original post for it to be deleted. I never once said that you can fully prepare yourself for BUDS because something as simple as a sprain can send you packing. This post was meant for advice, prayer, and donations for those who were wanting to. I'm not into acting like a tough guy with a huge ego while sitting behind a computer screen. That's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to public forums but what can you do. I hope the best for you guys!

Eric

I am just finishing up the new book "Damn Few" by Rorke Denver called "Making the Modern Seal Warrior".
He was the head of basic & advanced Seal training.
Very interesting and informative on what it takes to become a Navy Seal.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads