JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I take the desiccant packs from any electronics or medicine bottles and chuck them in my little safe. Either it works really well or I don't need it, because I've never had any issues with rust or moisture. I do rotate them from time to time.

I take the desiccant packs from any electronics or medicine bottles and chuck them in my little safe. Either it works really well or I don't need it, because I've never had any issues with rust or moisture. I do rotate them from time to time.

I guess it's better to be on the safe side, I like keeping my gear in tip top shape.

Yes, even small pistol safes are prone to harboring moisture. Had surface rust on two mags, thankfully none on my pistol, however the two safes I had before I moved were both kept in typical areas: my closet/truck and bottom shelf of nightstand.
Its worth having a dessicant in there just in case, it doesnt take up much room.

Why not just take them out and shoot them once in awhile? Clean and lube them after, and you've had fun while doing routine maintenance.

Some people might have more firearms then they can shoot on a regular basis with work and other things going on in life for this to work. It would be nice to shoot them all on an outing but for some that could eat up a lot of free time.

The dehumidifier and pouches seem to get the job done.

Why not just take them out and shoot them once in awhile? Clean and lube them after, and you've had fun while doing routine maintenance.
Exactly, I started to oil my pistol mags, just enough to protect it after I saw signs of excess moisture. Usually I dont apply oil to pistol mags unless in storage.. Well I didnt.

My mags were static, I had no reason to inspect or take them out as they were just loaded spare mags. They spent more time in the safe than the pistol. But some guys don't get out to shoot often and may leave their full sized pistol in the safe for a little while longer than their EDC. Or at least that was my case.

I try to clean my firearms every 2-3 months if I don't shoot them. Sadly, I don't give each of them the range time they deserve. :(

Thanks for the information everyone!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads