JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, that's cool. Did you start the business from scratch or purchase one that was already started? Where did you source your lead?
It started with a quest to get a Webley revolver to shoot well. They will chamber and fire a 38S&W , but accuracy is mostly a shotgun pattern. When I slugged the chambers and barrel I found that it needed a .364 bullet and the 38 S&W was only .357. The undersized bullets were just rattling down the bore. Once I got the proper size bullet, The old military pistol could have past as a target pistol!
With that success I found lots of people had the old guns in drawers because they did not shoot well with American ammo.
I upgraded my FFL and started selling bullets that fit. Pretty soon word got out that I would make custom sizes, and I was selling about 3 diameters of 32 cal bullets!
When Cowboy action shooting first took off, it was mostly old guns, and quite a few need custom size bullets to make them shoot well.
These were all poured from WWM, [Wheel Weight Material.]
I found out I could get a couple hundred pounds a week from local tire dealers if I showed up near lunch time with a Pizza and a 12 pack of coke.
When I upgraded to production equipment, I had to move to certified alloy's. It took to much of my time smelting off the steel clips of the WWM and adjusting the mix to give me a repetitive hardness.
The Certified alloys are also cleaner, and every batch is exactly the same weight. [ mostly important to rifle target shooters.]
Now that I'm retired I may go back to making custom sizes. Their is still a call for small batches of custom size bullets.
Because I did not make loaded ammo the business insurance was not expensive.
With the internet taking over for gun shows as a place to sell, I would not have to travel as often.

If you are interested in starting your own business, Once I identified the guns people were having trouble finding bullets to fit. The bullets pretty much sell themselves. The licensing and insurance was easy. And I like to talk guns, so it was a good business for me! DR

It started with a quest to get a Webley revolver to shoot well. They will chamber and fire a 38S&W , but accuracy is mostly a shotgun pattern. When I slugged the chambers and barrel I found that it needed a .364 bullet and the 38 S&W was only .357. The undersized bullets were just rattling down the bore. Once I got the proper size bullet, The old military pistol could have past as a target pistol!
With that success I found lots of people had the old guns in drawers because they did not shoot well with American ammo.
I upgraded my FFL and started selling bullets that fit. Pretty soon word got out that I would make custom sizes, and I was selling about 3 diameters of 32 cal bullets!
When Cowboy action shooting first took off, it was mostly old guns, and quite a few need custom size bullets to make them shoot well.
These were all poured from WWM, [Wheel Weight Material.]
I found out I could get a couple hundred pounds a week from local tire dealers if I showed up near lunch time with a Pizza and a 12 pack of coke.
When I upgraded to production equipment, I had to move to certified alloy's. It took to much of my time smelting off the steel clips of the WWM and adjusting the mix to give me a repetitive hardness.
The Certified alloys are also cleaner, and every batch is exactly the same weight. [ mostly important to rifle target shooters.]
Now that I'm retired I may go back to making custom sizes. Their is still a call for small batches of custom size bullets.
Because I did not make loaded ammo the business insurance was not expensive.
With the internet taking over for gun shows as a place to sell, I would not have to travel as often.

If you are interested in starting your own business, Once I identified the guns people were having trouble finding bullets to fit. The bullets pretty much sell themselves. The licensing and insurance was easy. And I like to talk guns, so it was a good business for me! DR
Wow, that's a really cool and inspiring story! How did you make/acquire the odd-sized bullet molds at first?

I'm just beginning to get into casting. I dug up a bunch of lead out at the shooting range and have begun collecting the things I'll need to melt it into ingots. I'm still a bit unclear on how fluxing the molten lead pulls out some of the impurities.

I'm definitely curious about creating a business of some kind like you did. We're planning on relocating to Montana so I'm kind of in a holding pattern until we move and get settled.

Cheers!

Wow, that's a really cool and inspiring story! How did you make/acquire the odd-sized bullet molds at first?

I'm just beginning to get into casting. I dug up a bunch of lead out at the shooting range and have begun collecting the things I'll need to melt it into ingots. I'm still a bit unclear on how fluxing the molten lead pulls out some of the impurities.

I'm definitely curious about creating a business of some kind like you did. We're planning on relocating to Montana so I'm kind of in a holding pattern until we move and get settled.

Cheers!
I was really on the fence about casting. Then the shortage started after Sandy Hook. Even bullets got hard to find. So I decided to try it and I found out I really enjoyed it. About a year or two after that powder coating kind of became a thing. I put the two together and it's really been amazing. If you're willing to hunt down lead in bullet berms it really does reduce your costs and give you options with custom bullets. Several of the companies that make molds are more than happy to make a custom one for you. Yes they are more expensive than a standard mold, but compared to buying custom bullets or custom ammunition if you can roll your own it's just a little sweat. It's really enhanced my experience I really enjoy it. Now if I could just make my own primers haha.

Last Edited:
I was really on the fence about casting. Then the shortage started after Sandy Hook. Even bullets got hard to find. So I decided to try it and I found out I really enjoyed it. About a year or two after that powder coating kind of became a thing. I put the two together and it's really been amazing. If you're willing to hunt down lead in bullet berms it really does reduce your costs and give you options with custom bullets. Several of the companies that make molds are more than happy to make a custom one for you. Yes they are more expensive than a standard mold, but compared to buying custom bullets or custom ammunition if you can roll your own it's just a little sweat. It's really enhanced my experience I really enjoy it. Now if I could just make my own primers haha.
Yeah, I'm finding it a little daunting but I'll get there. I'm trying to be as self-sufficient as possible so casting bullets is a must. I hear you about the primers though. I've watched several DIY videos about it but I haven't seen anything feasible for me so far. I enjoy making my own bullets, collecting brass and even mining for lead at the range although my back isn't as happy about it.

Yeah, I'm finding it a little daunting but I'll get there. I'm trying to be as self-sufficient as possible so casting bullets is a must. I hear you about the primers though. I've watched several DIY videos about it but I haven't seen anything feasible for me so far. I enjoy making my own bullets, collecting brass and even mining for lead at the range although my back isn't as happy about it.
It does look a little daunting in the beginning. But after while you kind of develop a routine with it all and you become more efficient. It's definitely a worthwhile pursuit in my opinion.

Hi, what's this equation for?
Weight x acceleration is force, which culminates with the MV of the bullet leaving your pistol.
1/2 MV squared is the kinetic energy (KE) of the bullet at the muzzle.
Different bullet weights and powders that result in the same KE (excluding the energy of the escaping powder gasses) will result in the same recoil of the same gun.
If both bullets have the same pressure behind the bullet, the felt recoil will be the same. If one has greater pressure (generally denoted by a louder bang), it will have greater felt recoil.
HTH

Weight x acceleration is force, which culminates with the MV of the bullet leaving your pistol.
1/2 MV squared is the kinetic energy (KE) of the bullet at the muzzle.
Different bullet weights and powders that result in the same KE (excluding the energy of the escaping powder gasses) will result in the same recoil of the same gun.
If both bullets have the same pressure behind the bullet, the felt recoil will be the same. If one has greater pressure (generally denoted by a louder bang), it will have greater felt recoil.
HTH
Thanks P7!

I have never found a way to mine a berm that got me enough lead to be worth the work.
I get most of my lead now from const. sites, roofers, boat ballast. etc. I just picked up 1500 lbs from an old hospital's x ray sheathing. Nice thing about it is, it's clean and a certified alloy mix. so all 1500 lbs are exactly the same alloy. If you live near the water watch yard sales for divers weights. Good Luck DR

Yes, this is true re. .38 S&W. I don't know if any factories in the US are loading .38 S&W at present. Maybe Fiocchi in Europe. I believe Remington was one of the last in the US, and I haven't had any of theirs for years. They played it very safe, due to the fairly large number of cheap clunker guns made in .38 S&W +/- 100 years ago. Some of the RP factory .38 S&W ammo was loaded with bullets that miked UNDER .357. I was loading for Smith & Wesson .38/200 made for the British. Those are good, fairly strong guns. They have a bore diameter of .360 so for them to shoot right (and regulated to the factory sights), you have to get the proper bullets. When I was doing this work, I was able to find a couple of specialty companies that could supply 200 gr. cast bullets that were a close if not quite exact replica of British .38/200 bullets.

This is the kind of thing that is a basis for causing some people to start reloading. That is, you have to make ammo you cannot buy. I started reloading ages ago because I couldn't buy a certain kind of ammo that would shoot right in a T/C Contender barrel.

I get my 38 S&W bullets from Matts Bullets

I have never found a way to mine a berm that got me enough lead to be worth the work.
I get most of my lead now from const. sites, roofers, boat ballast. etc. I just picked up 1500 lbs from an old hospital's x ray sheathing. Nice thing about it is, it's clean and a certified alloy mix. so all 1500 lbs are exactly the same alloy. If you live near the water watch yard sales for divers weights. Good Luck DR
Wow, that's awesome! Are they charging you the scrap price or are you able to get a deal on it?

The 1500 lbs cost me 3 pizza's and a case of diet Pepsi. And they loaded it in my truck. They were paying to have it hauled away at Hazardous waste prices!
The same deal with roofers. I try to stop by just before lunch on the day they are tearing off an old tile roof. or a flat commercial roof, and if they don't have a pile of lead flashings already they will usually pile them where I can pick them up later.

You can't get too much of this stuff. once it is cleaned up and poured into ingots, it's easy to sell, or you can sell it poured into bullets.
The USPS has made shipping lead very easy with their Flat Rate postal boxes.
If you end up with alloys that are not suited for pouring bullets the metal refiners will buy it or trade you for certified alloys that are bullet material. I use Roto Metals, but there are others that refine lead alloy.

Matts bullets[ from Mikes post above] is very much like the business I used to run. Custom sized bullets for specific older guns. Good Luck DR

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top