JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about building or buying a pistol caliber AR pistol; possibly even a Sig MPX. Better do it before the politicians tell me I can't. I built my carbine length AR but have a feeling this is a whole different animal. I'm looking for opinions and reviews on lower brands, barrel lengths, braces / stock options, triggers, etc. Something in 9mm; preferably that takes glock mags or at least a readily accessible mag. Lets hear your ideas. Thanks.

There have been quite a few threads on here about this exact thing recently.

If you use the search tool in the upper right and search pistol caliber carbine I bet many of them would come up.

I own three factory models and I have built two AR15 based, I really enjoy shooting 9mm out of a carbine.

I've searched just about everything under the sun to find a good thread with this exact topic to no avail. So I guess I'll bump this thread back up. And add to it that I've decided against mpx or scorpion. Definitely want to do a build. 9mm (around 8-10"), accepts glock mags, and will have a brace. Any help is much obliged.

Palmetto state armory, joe bob, circle 10, new frontier armory and a handful of other manufacturers make Glock lower receivers and pistol caliber components.

Some have a last round bolt hold open some don't, the downside to the less expensive ones is they don't.

Otherwise if you have put together an AR15, this isn't much different, in fact it's a little easier as there isn't any gas parts to worry about timing a barrel nut to or anything.

Pretty much, buy the components you see that will work for your build, then assemble. Most use the same AR parts to assemble so it's not like you need any special tools other than what is needed to put an AR together.

Thanks for the advice. I was mostly referring to twist rates, lengths and linings. I just wasnt sure how much was interchangeable between rifle caliber carbines and pistol caliber ar pistols. Definitely would like to build my own though.

Thanks for the advice. I was mostly referring to twist rates, lengths and linings. I just wasnt sure how much was interchangeable between rifle caliber carbines and pistol caliber ar pistols. Definitely would like to build my own though.
I couldn't tell you much in twist rates, I don't think their are a huge amount of rates among 9mm barrels on the market.

You can pretty much find barrels in all lengths from 4"-16" and just about anything in between.

Not sure what you mean by linings? Like chrome lined? Most barrels I've seen are pretty simple chromoly, also most I've seen are melonited.

You can use a regular AR15 upper receiver to build your own. As well as AR15 buffet tubes, lower parts kits, triggers, handguards or rails, grips, etc etc.

Basically the lower receiver with the dedicated mag well, and it's proprietary parts like the magazine release or feedramp are going to be different. You don't need a gas block or tube. The bolt is different, and while you could run a regular buffer, most run a heavier dedicated 9mm buffer.

There is a company now making a system that goes into a PMAG. That converts a regular 556 PMAG into a 9mm magazine. With that, or magwell adapters, you won't even need a dedicated lower. A 30-50 Anderson will do just fine.

0164E788-E4E6-4CF1-81EB-20A655A15EF7.jpeg
Rather have a rifle caliber pistol, like a contender.
Like this one of mine........in a 308. I have also been fascinated with the old conversion with M1 carbines into 45 Winchester Magnum.

New Frontier Armory makes really cool receivers. Bolt hold uppers, side chargers, glock colt and hk mag lowers. Even 80% lowers if thats your thing. New Frontier Armory, LLC - Firearms Manufacturer, Retailer, & Wholesaler

I had my Odin Works barrels feed cone worked over by Macon Armory, and it will run even the most extreme heavy 9mm hollow points. I would look at their 'guaranteed to feed' barrels. Products

Get a heavy pistol caliber buffer, they are longer than a regular carbine buffer, and keep the bolt from travelling unnecessarily far back,

the only other particular part is a bolt for the caliber you want.

LPK is standard, minus the mag release (the lower should have that). grip, hand guard, trigger and pistol brace or stock are all up to you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top