JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How hard is it to replace a steaked front sight? Its a lightweight officer series 80. Do I have to dove tail it or can it be redone? Any advice would be great!

Many years back I bought a 1911A1 that was total toast. The sights were replaced by an old armorer who resides in that great range in the sky. One of the first tasks was the replacement of sights to adjustable. It required a replacement of a higher front sight. The original was peaned in, and I was told that they on occasion would pop off. The replacement sight was both silver sodered and peaned. This was over 40 years ago, and it remains the same even after a few years of a carry while serving as a LEO. Either way will work, but there is no front sight adjustment for this method, but most likely it wouldn't be needed.

That was the tool used. Don't know where I came up with terminolgy "Peaning" but I guess it is sort of. Didn't have the Metal Weld then, but Loc Tite was available. Guess it just wasn't thought of!. What ever works I guess. My front sight replacement remains unmoveable. I did have a friend and neighbor who lost a front sight a few months back on a GI 1911A1. So perhaps, this may be a little more common then I thought! Not sure what was done, but it was replaced by a local Smith. I have not seen it, so there is no comment on how it turned out

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top