JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Out hunting one year, I opened my truck hood the next day I arrived to check the oil after pulling a trailer for 300 miles to find within 12 hours, half the insulation on the hood had been pulled off and shredded to form a rather large and comfy hotel on the manifold, and the industrial rodent had already started to fill the pantry!:mad:
I lifted that hood every day for a week along with looking every where else.:eek:

Out hunting one year, I opened my truck hood the next day I arrived to check the oil after pulling a trailer for 300 miles to find within 12 hours, half the insulation on the hood had been pulled off and shredded to form a rather large and comfy hotel on the manifold, and the industrial rodent had already started to fill the pantry!:mad:
I lifted that hood every day for a week along with looking every where else.:eek:

.I had the same thing happen. The critter got most of my firewall insulation.

Same scenario with our 94, only they took out large portions of the coverings off the wires too.
Best to get some steel screening and put on the end of the intake. IIRC, it was by the base of the radiator.
I used 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh, and ran the tie-wire through the plastic tube to attach.

Two of my vehicles that see only intermittent use are parked under shelters. If I have driven one of them in cold weather, when I repark it, I raise the hood and leave it up until it's completely cooled. That way it doesn't invite homesteading critters.

I used to have this problem when we lived in the woods. A mouse made a nice nest inside the engine air intake box where the filter was (fortunately he hadn't yet chewed the filter). I made a hardware cloth "sock" to go over the opening to the box.

Another time I opened the hood of another car, and there was a mouse sitting right on top of the air cleaner looking back at me. I knocked him off and was trying to stomp him but it looked like a cartoon as I was stomping and he was dodging back and forth. Can't remember if I got him.

Mice in the engine compartment was a constant problem; lost a lot of insulation there. Also getting into the interior fan box, god what a smell when you turned the fan on. Multiple times I had to take things apart and clean them up. I got to the point I'd set mouse traps in the engine compartment and on top where the windshield wipers were.

Once the red squirrels got into my house walls. I could hear them running back and forth. I went to war and shot every one I could see. Finally I found the place they were getting in and blocked it.

Since moving into town I haven't had a single problem - how nice!

Mice have been every one of my vehicles here. They got into the glove compartment in my BMW X1. Inside the passenger and engine compartments in my trucks. Into the engine compartment of my BMW 325. They get into the house everywhere (I use traps and poison). I hate them.

When I was mowing a field off my deck last year, I would run across a mouse every ten feet. Big fat ones. This year I am going to carry a pistol with shot.

start puttin poison under your hood before they eat your wiring and leave you stranded

edit: people ask me all the time at work why rodents are attracted to eating wiring....its the soy in the insulation they're attracted to.

.I had the same thing happen. The critter got most of my firewall insulation.

^^^ This

We like to go camping at an unimproved campground not too far away up the Grande Ronde River. Our friends that stay there a lot warned us about the packrats, and had a huge rat trap that would often kill one. Sure enough, one time I was coming back from a wildfire and hauling the comms trailer and the truck started to lose power. Checked under the hood and nothing was obvious... had diesel, had oil, no lines disconnected, no leaks... pulled the top off the air cleaner and there it was... packed solid with pine debris from that campground... i wonder how long that little feller rode with me!

We haven't had much problem with mice... but we went backpacking and one time when we came back a mouse had gotten into my VW Wabbit P..U. and helped itself to the roll of jungle money I always kept there... Good thing it didn't like beer!!

Bought a 36' 5th wheel trailer that had been kept down on the coast. It was on New Years Eve day. We drove it back from Portland and the outside temp was 20F when we finally had to overnight in a rest stop near Hermiston. Much later, when prepping the trailer in the spring, I noticed a foul odor coming from the basement storage compartment. Removed some paneling, and there were several dead wharf rats on top of the insulation. That area had access to the entire underfloor area... oh my. Removed the rats, the insulation in that area, used lots of bleach (which now I'm told is not effective against Hantavirus carried by field/deer mice, and used an entire bottle of Febreeze. Ick.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top