JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've owned a Kel-Tec P3AT for many years, purchased soon after they came out. It's been a great gun for me, but I've been intrigued by the evolution of the micro-gun platform. With the release of the Ruger LCP II I decided the upgrades might finally be worth it, should a deal come along. Earlier this week I saw Cabela's was selling them for $269.99. When I heard yesterday that the $20 off $150 coupon would work, and considering I still hadn't spent my gift cards from last Christmas, I had to go for it.

For those of you who don't read your receipts, Cabela's offers a $20 off $150 coupon for filling out a survey after you make a purchase. Not having a receipt, I went in first to buy something cheap ($7 rifle case, another good deal), took the survey in the truck, then went back in for the gun purchase. It ought to be a $50 off coupon for the circus act they put you through when buying a gun (first time there)!

I also picked up a few boxes of Sig Elite V-Crown hollowpoint ammo for break-in and feed testing, since it was on sale for $12/box.

To be completely honest, I think my three main reasons for replacing the P3AT with the LCP are mostly irrelevant for a gun filling the ultra concealed carry niche. I do think they'll make the LCP slightly more enjoyable to practice with.

1) Sights - The P3AT doesn't have any, just little nubs on the top of the slide. The LCP has taller sights which are actually functional, though they're difficult to see since they're all black.

2) Trigger - The trigger on the P3AT is one of the longest, heaviest triggers I've ever felt. While the LCP trigger isn't what I'd consider good, I'm quite surprised by how much better it is.

3) Slide Stop - The P3AT doesn't have one, the LCP II does. Helpful for reloading and identifying an empty gun.

While I'd like to think I'd calmly align my sights and squeeze the trigger in a defensive situation, I know this won't be true. I'll likely focus on the front sight and pull the trigger as quickly as possible. I figure if I'm reloading I'm in big trouble, which I've hopefully anticipated and I'm already running away from. These are assumptions of course, but I think they're somewhat realistic.

I'll be sure to update this thread once I get some trigger time :)

DSC_0276.JPG DSC_0278.JPG

Wife keeps talking about buying one of these. She got to handle one and seems to love it. She will not shoot my P3. Tried it one shot and that was it. She still has her P-32 that we bought (2 of them) when they first hit. It's the long trigger pull she does not like on it. She is VERY recoil sensitive so I'm not sure she will like the new Ruger. I keep telling her if she wants one go for it. Since I know if she does not like it I may. :D

Wife keeps talking about buying one of these. She got to handle one and seems to love it. She will not shoot my P3. Tried it one shot and that was it. She still has her P-32 that we bought (2 of them) when they first hit. It's the long trigger pull she does not like on it. She is VERY recoil sensitive so I'm not sure she will like the new Ruger. I keep telling her if she wants one go for it. Since I know if she does not like it I may. :D

She gave you permission and you don't have one yet??? :D

Honestly, I can't imagine the LCP is going to be any better than the P3AT in the recoil department, simply because of what it is. The slip-on Hogue grip I added to the P3AT made a huge difference on that gun though. The LCP came with a finger extension on the bottom of the mag, something I don't have on the P3AT, and I imagine that might help some too.

My original plan was to sell the P3AT, but for what little I'd be able to get for it ($125-$150 maybe?) I might gift it to family or just keep it around.

She gave you permission and you don't have one yet??? :D

Honestly, I can't imagine the LCP is going to be any better than the P3AT in the recoil department, simply because of what it is. The slip-on Hogue grip I added to the P3AT made a huge difference on that gun though. The LCP came with a finger extension on the bottom of the mag, something I don't have on the P3AT, and I imagine that might help some too.

My original plan was to sell the P3AT, but for what little I'd be able to get for it ($125-$150 maybe?) I might gift it to family or just keep it around.

That is what I have tried to warn her about. She liked holding and the trigger but I told her the recoil is most likely going to be a deal breaker. I almost always pocket carry my P3 with no holster. Safe enough for me because of that long trigger pull and nothing goes in that pocket. Don't think I would feel comfortable doing that with the new Ruger but I'm always up for a new gun. So if she does buy one and does not like it another toy for me.
I meant to ask what happened at Cabelas? I still have not been to the big one they built here south of me. Have bought some ammo from them online. Have looked at a few guns there. What happened to turn it into a circus when you bought the gun? I's a bit of a drive for me to go to the one here. If they make buying a gun a PITA it would make me pass on them for that.

That is what I have tried to warn her about. She liked holding and the trigger but I told her the recoil is most likely going to be a deal breaker. I almost always pocket carry my P3 with no holster. Safe enough for me because of that long trigger pull and nothing goes in that pocket. Don't think I would feel comfortable doing that with the new Ruger but I'm always up for a new gun. So if she does buy one and does not like it another toy for me.
I meant to ask what happened at Cabelas? I still have not been to the big one they built here south of me. Have bought some ammo from them online. Have looked at a few guns there. What happened to turn it into a circus when you bought the gun? I's a bit of a drive for me to go to the one here. If they make buying a gun a PITA it would make me pass on them for that.

I'd definitely see if you can find someone on here to meet up and let you shoot theirs, or find a range to rent one, unless you want a new toy! If I had to guess, the recoil will definitely be a deal-breaker for her. I've shot with quite a few women who weren't recoil sensitive and they hated the P3AT. Nobody really likes putting more than one mag through. I would feel fine pocket carrying the P3AT with an open trigger guard, the length of pull is just short of a mile. Definitely not so with the LCP II.

I've been to that Cabela's many times, this was just the first time buying a gun there. I don't think I've ever spent more than 15 minutes or so finalizing a gun purchase. I was there for well over an hour today (had to reschedule lunch with grandma!). Took 15 minutes to find someone to help me, another 15 minutes to find the gun (last one, and granted, it's small). The counter guy took my ID and filled out paperwork, took me and the gun over to the 'gun sale line', I filled out my 4473 on an iPad while waiting in line, got up to the counter, fingerprints, more paperwork, had to copy/paste the info from the tablet to the Oregon BGC system, instant approval (less than 20 seconds). Had to have a manager verify info (asking me if I was really born in Portland three times), paid for it, and finally I was out the door. Considering the savings it was worth it, but honestly the DMV is a more pleasant experience. I won't buy another gun there unless it's a great deal like this one was. That said, I do enjoy the store, and it's worth the trip if you've never been.

I'd definitely see if you can find someone on here to meet up and let you shoot theirs, or find a range to rent one, unless you want a new toy! If I had to guess, the recoil will definitely be a deal-breaker for her. I've shot with quite a few women who weren't recoil sensitive and they hated the P3AT. Nobody really likes putting more than one mag through. I would feel fine pocket carrying the P3AT with an open trigger guard, the length of pull is just short of a mile. Definitely not so with the LCP II.

Considering the savings it was worth it, but honestly the DMV is a more pleasant experience. I won't buy another gun there unless it's a great deal like this one was. That said, I do enjoy the store, and it's worth the trip if you've never been.

OK thanks. Unless they have some deal I feel is too good I think I well pass on their guns. Wife keeps trying to get me down to the one here just to see it. Supposed to be quite the place. When we go I will see if anyone is buying and see if it looks like that. Suspect it will be as the big store like that. Probably scared to death that one of the employee's will do something wrong on a gun sale.
As for the .380 always up for a new toy. Wife saw a video of the take down of the new Ruger MKIV and how great it was. Came home wanting to buy one. I asked her when was the last time she took her MKII apart to clean? Answer was never, that job falls to me. I still told her to get one if she wanted as another gun was never going to disappoint me. :D
Now when they start running out the 22/45 LITE in the MKIV configuration I may very well pick one up. The MKII is nothing but the Damn MKIII I still have to glance at the damn instructions every time to remember the right way to do the steps. :mad:

I picked an LCP II not too long ago as well. The trigger is soooo much better than the LCP Custom I had before. I pocket carry it all the time comfortably. Congrats on the new piece!

I too replaced my LCP Custom with a LCP II, recoil seems slightly less which I credit the wider backstrap giving a little more surface area. The Custom had way better sights for me to aim with, but the LCP II's sights are better for pocket carry. I used a Leather Bianchi holster for the Custom but the II won't fit it, so I use the II's supplied nylon holster. That holster did not want to turn loose of the gun without a fight, so I put the empty gun in a doubled sandwich bag and stuffed it all in the holster overnight. Now it comes out pretty easy.

my wife has an LCP custom. the one with the red trigger. i must say... its a great little micro carry! shes happy with it. i have put probably 2-300rounds thru it. not one issue. i do like how the custom has real sights on it instead of them milled into the slide. @Joe Link this is gonna be a great upgrade from the p3at! i dont think you'll be disappointed! congrats on the purchase!

BTW, i think my wifes lcp custom has an awesome trigger compared to other micros ive shot! it breaks nice,clean and consistant every time i shoot it.

Congratulate yourself for going 9mm. The ammo is cheaper, more available and it's just a better round vs a common .380 ACP. As for the recoil.....well the .380 is snappy and a 9mm in that small of a platform can also be snappy. I myself own and carry a Diamondback 9 and a KelTec .32 ACP.

Take a look at this. BTW, a KelTec 3AT is the same size as a KelTec .32 ACP. GEDC1010.jpg

Aloha, Mark GEDC1007.jpg GEDC1008.jpg

Last Edited:
. Earlier this week I saw Cabela's was selling them for $239.99. When I heard yesterday that the $20 off $150 coupon would work, and considering I still hadn't spent my gift cards from last Christmas, I had to go for it.
So for the few of us that failed advanced calculus and aren't extreme coupon-ers, what was your final price?

My wife has carried a LCP w/CT in her purse for years and likes it a lot except for the long trigger. My "always carry" is a LCP Custom in a wallet holster and the trigger is superior but I may have to look at the LCP II if it's that much better. Great little guns.

So for the few of us that failed advanced calculus and aren't extreme coupon-ers, what was your final price?

My wife has carried a LCP w/CT in her purse for years and likes it a lot except for the long trigger. My "always carry" is a LCP Custom in a wallet holster and the trigger is superior but I may have to look at the LCP II if it's that much better. Great little guns.

I actually made a mis-calculation there myself :)

The sale price was $269, so after the coupon the final price was $249. I'll go back and correct my post.

I've never handled a LCP Custom so I'm not sure how the trigger compares. If the original LCP trigger is anything like the P3AT (which I imagine it is) the difference is night and day.

The Custom's trigger is a big improvement and as such deserves to be red, way better sights than the original (and better than the LCP II too) the third 'improvement' was a stainless steel guide rod. The rod might contribute to better reliability, I don't really know why Ruger added it. So sights, trigger and guide rod are the differences between a regular LCP an a Custom. The LCP II has better sights than the LCP, but not as good as the Custom. The LCP II trigger is much better than the Custom in length of pull, but both are smooth. The LCP II feels better in my hand. It is easy to recommend a LCP II to replace a LCP. I have replaced my Custom with the II, but I had to test them together to make that decision, they are both good enough for use. I would handle one if possible before I moved up.

The Custom's trigger is a big improvement and as such deserves to be red, way better sights than the original (and better than the LCP II too) the third 'improvement' was a stainless steel guide rod. The rod might contribute to better reliability, I don't really know why Ruger added it. So sights, trigger and guide rod are the differences between a regular LCP an a Custom. The LCP II has better sights than the LCP, but not as good as the Custom. The LCP II trigger is much better than the Custom in length of pull, but both are smooth. The LCP II feels better in my hand. It is easy to recommend a LCP II to replace a LCP. I have replaced my Custom with the II, but I had to test them together to make that decision, they are both good enough for use. I would handle one if possible before I moved up.
Thanks for the info!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads