JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is not really the result of the missile warhead. When a hit by a missile or gun round ignites the fuel and ammo inside a tank, tankers refer to that as a tank 'brewing up'. This is common event when anything penetrates a tank's armor. Our M1 Abrams tanks have their ammo stored in a separate compartment with a blast door, and has an automatic Halon explosion suppression system to prevent just this sort of thing.

Also, the claim that the missile has some kind of 'phosphorous warhead' is bogus. The AT missile is a standard Bofors Bill II, which has been in service with the Swedish Army for over 20 years. The missile has a top-attack tandem shaped charge warhead. There is no 'top secret Israeli phosphorous missile', except in the fevered imagination of some internet BS artist.

BILL 2 - Army Technology

As an old 11E (what tankers were before they became 19 series), willie peter is too soft to use as a penetrating round....nice, white sparkley fire and all....but too soft.

Now, for my money, the kenetic energy rounds (SABOT) are the way to go.

This is a good over view of tank ammo as I remember it...
U.S. Tank Ammo Tests

Sabot do their damage based purely on speed and the base material of the projectile, causing total loss of cockpit oxygen and bringing massive molten spall into the cockpit for an instant kill

I tell you what, bivouacing at Graf in Dec for gunnery sure wasn't much fun.... Of course, Hohenfehls during June wasn't either. We lost a jeep (M151) up to the hood in a mud puddle once....and Schmuckle got ran over by a gamma goat in the soft mud, got up and brushed the mud away...

Ah, the good old days.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads