JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pho Q

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The meat is Mahi Mahi just barely seared for about a minute on each side as it will finish cooking and the piping hot broth. The red on the meat is from paprika not the grill.

Agreed, I'm too crappy a cook and too far away from Portland for Trlsmn to post stuff like this.

Trlsmn, even with the creepy jack photo, you're still welcome to abuse my kitchen if you want to come to the dry side...

Now did you spend the pre-requisite 10 hours (minimum) creating the broth?

I have, and man oh man, does it make your house smell WONDERFUL for the next few days.

And I'm not being sarcastic. :D

I start it early in the morning in the crockpot with a Pho "tea bag" and fresh charred ginger and onions. I use this beef broth called "better than bullion" you can buy it at Costco.

If you want to cut corners there are good bullion's to be had at the Asian markets. If you've never shopped at Asian markets before you really are missing out on great products at prices that are 1/4 the cost of the supermarkets.

I routinely alternate between going to H-Mart (monthly) and WinCo (weekly) depending on what I need.

I have a great recipe for pho, but it's all from scratch. Including the 10 hours of simmering ox tails after braising them with various spices and veggies. If you folks want it, I can post it here and you folks can take a try at making it yourselves. :)

I routinely alternate between going to H-Mart (monthly) and WinCo (weekly) depending on what I need.

I have a great recipe for pho, but it's all from scratch. Including the 10 hours of simmering ox tails after braising them with various spices and veggies. If you folks want it, I can post it here and you folks can take a try at making it yourselves. :)

Please do!

H-mart?

Shop_Smart__Shop_S_Mart_by_GaryStorkamp.jpg

Shop_Smart__Shop_S_Mart_by_GaryStorkamp.jpg

Here's the recipe I use. Mine is a slight variation as I don't use daikon, which might require cutting back on the amount of sugar you add. I'd probably recommend closer to a 1/3 or a 1/4 cup of sugar in that case.

Also, this recipe doesn't call for it, but you can sear the oxtails right before adding the water. I've done it both ways, and there's a subtle difference when you sear it versus you don't. All depends on how much time you want to invest into it. I start at 7AM to have pho ready for dinner at 6 PM. My old coworker use to start it overnight to have it ready for lunch. She's also makes it in a 5 gal stock pot, but she's also Vietnamese and feeds a party with it. :)

2-3 lbs of beef oxtail OR 3-4 lbs of beef knuckle/neck bones w/ meat
2 large yellow onions
half a palm sized piece of ginger, peeled
4 whole star anise pods
1/2 tablespoon whole cloves
tablespoon black peppercorns
4 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 cinnamon stick
1 daikon, cut into large chunks (I typically don't put this in)
3 small shallots
1/2 cup rock sugar (or granulated)
1 cup fish sauce

1. Put oxtails/bones into a very large stockpot. Add water to cover bones. Bring to a boil while continuing on.
2. Cut onions in half. Char onions (and garlic) over gas burner, on electric stove element, or under oven broiler. (this step will add depth of flavor to broth). Set aside.
3. In a small skillet, toast the cloves, peppercorns, garlic, and anise until fragrant (about 3-5 minutes). Set aside and cool. Once cool, put spices in cheesecloth or spice bag.
4. Check the stockpot and skim off any scum that has accumilated.
5. Add the spice bag, charred onions, ginger, sugar, fish sauce, cinnamon stick and stir well. Lower heat and simmer.
6. Though the broth will be flavorful after 2.5 hours, continue simmering for as long as you want to (up to 10 hours or so). It will get better with more time.
7. Once the broth is finished cooking, remove stockpot from heat and let cool a bit. Remove all solid from broth. Do not discard the bones; set aside and remove any meat from them. Pour the broth through a fine mesh strainer to remove any scum and fat. Return broth to original pot or use a new pot. Broth should be clear.

Now the broth is ready to serve. Prepare as usual. Thin sliced beef. Meatballs. Tripe. Tendon. Thai basil. Pickled onions. Bean sprouts. Cilantro. Sliced limes. Banh pho noodles (rice noodles). Pour steaming broth over everything in bowl. Add hoisin and/or hot chili paste to taste. Enjoy.

PS - H-mart (http://www.hmart.com/). They're in Tigard by the Bi-Mart off of 99W (Bi-Mart, H-Mart. So many confused people!). Their website doesn't list the location in Oregon, but it's there. Korean-centric, but they also have a much larger seafood and vegetable selection. I prefer them over Uwajimaya most of the time, unless it's for something specifically Japanese that H-Mart doesn't carry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top