JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone! Well, I sure picked a good time to start my first AR-15 build ;-) Anyways...I have a buddy with an FFL and got an ATI complete lower from him as well as ten 30 round mags for cheap. I was looking into getting an Aero Precision stripped upper. They appear to make some really solid stuff and love supporting local manufacturers for purchases. So, I do have a couple of question about some other parts.

1) What are some of the better BCG's I should look at. I dont like cheaping out, so I tend to go with the best stuff within reason.
2) What about barrels? What are some of the better ones? I'm not going to be using this rifle competition shooting, so I dont really need super-dooper top of the line here. I was looking at Daniel Defense CHF barrels and they look damn nice. Also...standard or light weight. They both have their trade offs I suppose.

Well, thats it for now. I look forward to hanging out on the forum (a little different than my regular venue...Mustang forums ;-)
Thanks for any input!

I lived in the Harbor for a few years, nice town. Aero makes decent stuff, I had an aero lower and never had any issues. The owner or Aero may still live in the Harbor too, I know his shop is in Tacoma.

@sg85, thanks for the reply. Their stuff does look pretty good.
@norm0931, I'll check it out...thanks!

Any experience with Mega Arms upper or lowers? Their billet stuff looks sweet!

I'm looking at the Nickel Boron Ambi Receivers from Mega. Most of the reviews I've read have said Mega has the best QC out there for billet receivers at the moment.
BTW here is that link for Fail Zero - <broken link removed>

White Oak Armament for barrels. I've built 5 with these now, and they are hammers. I personally like the 18" middy. All have delivered 5/16" 5 shot groups with 77g Sierra SMKs at 100 yards. At $265, they are a steal.

Aero precision is good stuff. I've built up a few rifles on their uppers and lowers and had nary a problem.

Tim do you buy them from Rainer? I saw they have White Oak for 280 but they also have their own barrels. Any experience with those? Sorry to hijack your thread Phil but, I am starting an AR project myself very soon and I am doing some of the same research.

Tim do you buy them from Rainer? I saw they have White Oak for 280 but they also have their own barrels. Any experience with those? Sorry to hijack your thread Phil but, I am starting an AR project myself very soon and I am doing some of the same research.

You can buy from White Oak directly, or from Brownells. I've done both. I'm sure there are other sources, but those are the two with which I'm most familiar. $280 is not an awful price. Honestly, these re an maxing clue.

Rainier barrels get very good reviews. I ordered my WOA from Brownells as it was in stock when I wanted it and a little bit cheaper. I went with the SPR barrel with rifle length gas and had some work done to it

20121222_093230.jpg

So I bought an AP COP mid length upper today, direct from the manufacturer. I was in downtown Tacoma applying for my CPL today (took 4 hours...what a mess of people down there) and decided to swing by AP. Great group of people down there and they are slaving away trying to get as many parts created as possible. They had just enough parts to slap together a kit for me so I was lucky in that respect :) Also ordered a bunch of tools for the build from Brownells yesterday. I'm gonna go with a FailZero BCG and a 16" .223 wylde barrel from WOA or one of the barrels Rainer makes.

Quick question about the FailZero BCG. I read a post by somebody that said to get the M16/4 kit instead of the AR-15 kit because it weighs a little more and would be better. I have no idea what to make of that. I emailed FailZero to ask them about it, but have yet to get a response. Anybody with experience on this subject have any input?

Quick question about the FailZero BCG. I read a post by somebody that said to get the M16/4 kit instead of the AR-15 kit because it weighs a little more and would be better. I have no idea what to make of that. I emailed FailZero to ask them about it, but have yet to get a response. Anybody with experience on this subject have any input?

I believe it's because since they weigh more, they will suck a bit more recoil up and use the energy transfer to cycle the action more reliably.
FWIW, I run the full auto version in mine, never had a FTF or cycle properly.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

The m16 bolt carrier cut away is symmetrical top and bottom. The AR15 bolt carrier has more cut away on the bottom, so that it cannot trip an auto sear. The extra weight is nice. They cycle a bit slower, and more reliably IMO. Not required, but nicer.

ar15carriers.jpg

Go with m16 as said . It's all I buy when given the choice.

Barrel- id give a very hard look at an 18" barrel from either of those makers. Or go the opposite and go 14.5" pinned.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top