JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My company is planning on doing a Beavers baseball game at PGE Park as our Summer get together. I am wondering if I can concealed carry at the park. It's been years since I have been there. Do they have it posted for no CCW? Do they have metal detectors? I'm actually more concerned for my safety on the Max ride in than I am about PGE Park itself.

PGE Park says: Food, beverages, weapons of any kind even with a concealed weapons permit (exception: city, county and state police officers may carry their weapons whether they are on or off duty), containers such as coolers or thermoses, helium balloons, banners or signs that are not in the spirit of the event or that obstruct the view of others or that are taped or secured to PGE Park property in any way, sticks, bicycles, animals other than service animals, compressed air horns are all prohibited at PGE Park.
<broken link removed>

This thread: What about PGE Park? - Oregon Concealed Carry
says that PGE security is a joke, and won't find anything besides a rifle in your hands.

Additionally, PGE Park is currently CITY OWNED which I suspect places it under the state pre-emption law for CCW holders.

The city's just the landlord... tenant's private property rights pre-empt the pre-emption law.

It depends on the situation/contract between the team and the city. This is a different situation, since it seems like his company is renting the field out (I suppose from the City) for a private event.

Additionally the website makes it the PARK's rules, not the teams (who are the tenants). Thus, it would fall under preemption I suspect. If the Beavers wanted to make this rule, it would be fine.

It depends on the situation/contract between the team and the city. This is a different situation, since it seems like his company is renting the field out (I suppose from the City) for a private event.

Additionally the website makes it the PARK's rules, not the teams (who are the tenants). Thus, it would fall under preemption I suspect. If the Beavers wanted to make this rule, it would be fine.

PGE park is managed year-round, and both teams are owned, by a company called Shortstop LLC run by Merritt Paulson. The city has no control whatsoever over the day-to-day operations there, and the property is not generally open to the public - except by permission of the company. While the pre-emption law would most likely prohibit the city from including a "no guns" term in the Shortstop's lease, it does not keep the from making otherwise legal rules. Remember, the pre-emption rule is not designed to automatically allow guns on public property - it just keeps local governments from enacting their own gun bans that contradict state law.

PGE park is managed year-round, and both teams are owned, by a company called Shortstop LLC run by Merritt Paulson. The city has no control whatsoever over the day-to-day operations there, and the property is not generally open to the public - except by permission of the company. While the pre-emption law would most likely prohibit the city from including a "no guns" term in the Shortstop's lease, it does not keep the from making otherwise legal rules. Remember, the pre-emption rule is not designed to automatically allow guns on public property - it just keeps local governments from enacting their own gun bans that contradict state law.

I am not party to the details of the lease agreement, so I don't konw the details. I agree what the preemption law would do, I realize its purpose. My point is that it depends on how the field is leased to the teams. Some places (happens often on publically funded football stadiums) 'rent' on a per-game basis, and the city leases it out on different days.

If this were the case, the city couldn't make cougfan's company prohibit guns.

ADDITIONALLY, if this Shortstop Inc. is 'subletting' for the time to cougfan's company, I believe they wouldn't be allowed to prohibit weapons either.

My final point is that the rule prohibiting firearms is posted on the PGEPark.com website, which if run by the City, would be an unenforceable rule. If run by the teams, it would be.

THAT SAID, the worst they can do is ask you to leave.

I've carried into PGE park many times. Once again, concealed means concealed.

They don't frisk you at the door.

Also, last time I was there, they had a sign outside stating what was forbidden, and firearms were NOT mentioned.

I am not party to the details of the lease agreement, so I don't konw the details. I agree what the preemption law would do, I realize its purpose. My point is that it depends on how the field is leased to the teams. Some places (happens often on publically funded football stadiums) 'rent' on a per-game basis, and the city leases it out on different days.

If this were the case, the city couldn't make cougfan's company prohibit guns.

ADDITIONALLY, if this Shortstop Inc. is 'subletting' for the time to cougfan's company, I believe they wouldn't be allowed to prohibit weapons either.

My final point is that the rule prohibiting firearms is posted on the PGEPark.com website, which if run by the City, would be an unenforceable rule. If run by the teams, it would be.

THAT SAID, the worst they can do is ask you to leave.

1. The field is not leased to the teams on a game-by-game basis. One company, Shortstop LLC, leases the entire park and owns both teams. If the city actually operated the facility and leased it to the teams, the situation might be different. Might be.

2. The city can't make Shortstop prohibit guns, but Shortstop can still choose to do so by itself - deciding who can enter your property (whether owned or leased) is one of the most basic property rights.

3. It looks like Cougfan's company is simply buying some tickets to a baseball game, not leasing anything.

4. The website's not run by the city, but it wouldn't matter if it was.

3. It looks like Cougfan's company is simply buying some tickets to a baseball game, not leasing anything. QUOTE]

This is correct, we are just buying a group of tickets and attending a game. I got a PM from another forum member that went to a game about a month ago and said they just presented their tickets and sauntered on in. No metal detectors or wanding. When I have gone to games in the past, there were cops there, but they just seemed to be looking for any obvious trouble makers or were there to control any drunks who got out of hand.

I'm going with concealed means concealed.

i agree......... but heres my thought... What if something went down and you had to use your handgun... then what? that whole dont ask dotn tell idea just went down the crapper... :confused:

I think at that point i would not care. If i need to pull my firearm to protect myself, company rules and trespassing laws will probably be the last thing on my mind.

Lefty.

i agree......... but heres my thought... What if something went down and you had to use your handgun... then what? that whole dont ask dotn tell idea just went down the crapper... :confused:

you do what ever your comfortable with. like i said, ymmv.

before you do, you should be thinking cost about defending a lawsuit before pulling your pistols. thinking its going to be over ten thousand to get started and could potentially be over fifty thousand.

to answer your question. if something went down and i had to use my handgun?

chances are by the time i had the legal right, i would most likely already be dead.

Once something went down and you used your handgun...all they could do is ask you to leave. If you refused to leave....you could then be charged with trespassing.

If it were me, by that point I'm quite sure I would want to be leaving anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top