JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pew survey: Liberal Dems back gun control over 2A protection

A Pew Research Center survey released today that shows increasing public support for gun rights also contained a startling – some might call it alarming – revelation that 81 percent of the respondents who identified themselves as liberal Democrats think it is more important to control gun ownership than protect the rights of gun owners.

<broken link removed>

Gun control, sadly is one of those liberal "articles of faith," that's about as hard to shake as any religious idea. Not going to bring up the "A-word," but the Republican's policies on it have gotten as extreme as Dems views on gun control. Facts, logic, what's good for the party, nothing sways these views.

Fortunately, people who identify as "liberal Democrats" are a quite small proportion of the voting public.

What's remarkable is that even "liberal Democrat"politicians have to at least give lip service to the right of individuals to own firearms. Something that wasn't the case at all even 15 years ago. Don't get me wrong, they will attack our rights at every opportunity, but they've at least learned that handgun bans, etc. are a sure way to lose an election.

Progress, of a sort.

that 81 percent of the respondents who identified themselves as liberal Democrats think it is more important to control gun ownership than protect the rights of gun owners.

<broken link removed>

Pretty much business as usual. They no use for rights beyond those for themselves.
They hold no value for freedom, nor the Constitution, Nor for America as a free nation.
Not much new with that one.
Its who we all fight on a daily basis sad to say.

That 81% should have been awake during high school history class! What was on of the first things the Nazi's did when they came to power in the 30's? Bet they couldn't answer that one, or if they could they would say that can't happen here. FOOLS, ALL OF THEM! :mad:

That 81% should have been awake during high school history class! What was on of the first things the Nazi's did when they came to power in the 30's? Bet they couldn't answer that one, or if they could they would say that can't happen here. FOOLS, ALL OF THEM! :mad:

Someone really needs to put this "Nazis did what they did because of gun control" meme to rest.

First of all, most of the disarmament was done under the Weimar Republic in the 1920s, when Hitler was in prison. It affected EVERYONE.

Secondly, the disarming of Jews, which happened under the Nuremberg laws of 1933-1936 and onward affected only a tiny fraction of that population who HAD arms. The overwhelming majority (90%) did NOT have arms, because NO WHERE in western Europe, was there anything like a "gun culture." That's an American thing.

And finally, every memoir I've ever read by survivors says that absolutely no one, until it was far to late to have really done anything, really believed they were going to be sent to extermination camps.

German Jews who were deported to Poland, which is what happened to most, long before they were sent to camps, were in no position to resist, even if they HAD been armed. And resisting deportation at the CERTAIN price of death for themselves and their families? It wasn't going to happen. They weren't armed, but that was the case long before Hitler ever came to power.

The one place everyone remembers is the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. The reason that happened was that by THAT time, in 1944 the death camps were no longer a secret. And the entire ghetto was about to be sent to Auschwitz. Everyone knew what was going to happen, which is why they fought, so long, hard and bravely. It was an act of utter desperation.

Gun control is bad. And yes, gun control gives government a monopoly on arms, which makes armed resistance almost impossible. I don't dispute that. But the Hitler gun-control nonsense is A-Historical pablum. Nazi gun control policies didn't do a thing to really aid in the Holocaust. At most they saved the lives of a few hundred German soldiers who would have died UTTERLY CRUSHING the tiny resistance movement that might have been possible in some people's dreams.

The CS Monitor is also reporting on the PEW survey.

"In 2012, 48 percent of Americans in a Pew survey said guns do more to protect people than place them at risk. According to a survey released Wednesday, that number has increased to 57 percent."

"The shift in views makes for grim reading for gun control advocates, who, according to Pew, have lost support among every demographic except Hispanics and liberal Democrats. City-dwellers, women, and blacks moved particularly hard toward a view put forth by pro-gun rights researcher John Lott: that an armed society is a polite society."

(There is a video - but also a written story so you don't have to watch it.)

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...-America-s-shift-in-favor-of-gun-rights-video

I've started separating "liberal" from "progressive" myself. Although I think if challenged, quite a few of those liberal-gun-owners might actually find they fit in more with the Libertarian party than what the "liberal party" has become today.

Gun control, sadly is one of those liberal "articles of faith," that's about as hard to shake as any religious idea. Not going to bring up the "A-word," but the Republican's policies on it have gotten as extreme as Dems views on gun control. Facts, logic, what's good for the party, nothing sways these views.

Fortunately, people who identify as "liberal Democrats" are a quite small proportion of the voting public.

What's remarkable is that even "liberal Democrat"politicians have to at least give lip service to the right of individuals to own firearms. Something that wasn't the case at all even 15 years ago. Don't get me wrong, they will attack our rights at every opportunity, but they've at least learned that handgun bans, etc. are a sure way to lose an election.

Progress, of a sort.
True. I had presumed that because the love of freedom, sports involving firearms, and protecting gun rights would be a purple party cause, throwing the traditional split on so many other issues right out the window, that would have thwarted bills like I-594. In particular states like WA who have lots of hunters.

Apparently that's not the case... at least anymore. Seems the demographics have changed more than I realized in the 30 years we've been here. Now the only firearms the younger generation cares about are the ones associated with video games on those electronic binky's they myopically stare into for hours on end. It's become a take my firearm, but don't mess with my 32 oz. soda America. At least Bloatberg was smart enough not to try that again.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top