JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My favorite writer J.R.R. Tolkien has this to say about a Blunderbuss :

"Some may well ask what a blunderbuss was. Indeed , this very question , it is said,
was put to the Four Wise Clerks of Oxenford, and after thought they replied:
'A blunderbuss is a short gun with a large bore firing many balls or slugs,
and capable of doing execution within a limited range without exact aim.

( Now superseded in civilised countries by other firearms )' :D
Andy

Last Edited:
My favorite writer J.R.R. Tolkien has this to say about a Blunderbuss :

"Some may well ask what a blunderbuss was. Indeed , this very question , it is said,
was put to the Four Wise Clerks of Oxenford, and after thought they replied:
'A blunderbuss is a short gun with a large bore firing many balls or slugs,
and capable of doing execution within a limited range without exact aim.
( Now superseded in civilised countries by other firearms )' :D
Andy
Farmer Giles of Ham?

Couldn't watch the video after hearing how he loaded a blunderbuss in a previous video , or the use of the wrong name...it is not a "Musketoon."

More importantly :

Please Do Not Load and Fire "a bunch of rocks and stuff" out of your Blunderbuss , or any muzzle loading firearm for that matter.
"Rocks and stuff" may gouge or scar the bore....perhaps even put a dent or hole in your barrel , depending on barrel soundness , material and thickness.

Andy

Edit :
Not sure just what happened here with random "WSL" inserted in my text...but its gone now.

Last Edited:
a famous one

Uncle-Fester-addams-family-5313477-400-500.jpg

Looks like it might make for a winter project. That barrel might be tough though.:(
Maybe make the, "Bell" as a threaded on piece.:cool:
It would have to have a percussion cap lock though, as I've never had much success
with flint. :rolleyes:

Blunderbusses are neat firearms for sure...
The "bell" or flared end of the barrel was for easier loading on a ship , horseback or moving coach...Not for shot spread.
Historically most were of the Wheel lock , the Miquelet lock or of the Flintlock ignition system , although there are examples with a percussion lock ...these are very uncommon.
Andy

Couldn't watch the video after hearing how he loaded a blunderbuss in a previous video , or the use of the wrong name...it is not a "Musketoon."

More importantly :

Please Do Not Load and Fire "a bunch of rocks and stuff" out of your Blunderbuss , or any muzzle loading firearm for that matter.
"Rocks and stuff" may gouge or scar the bore....perhaps even put a dent or hole in your barrel , depending on barrel soundness , material and thickness.

Andy
Andy, I still am going to fire smashed up atomic fireballs out of mine at some point. (that shouldn't scar the boor and of all the humorous hijinks and misuse of a blunderbuss seems to be at the rather benign end of the scale. BBS were always tempting but don't want to file steel out of a barrel like that.

Andy, I still am going to fire smashed up atomic fireballs out of mine at some point. (that shouldn't scar the boor and of all the humorous hijinks and misuse of a blunderbuss seems to be at the rather benign end of the scale. BBS were always tempting but don't want to file steel out of a barrel like that.
I wonder if the candy / sugar will melt and be a mess in the bore....and yeah steel BB's are a bad idea.
Andy

I wonder if the candy / sugar will melt and be a mess in the bore....and yeah steel BB's are a bad idea.
Andy
I wonder that, but a mess, I can scrub out. It has been a lifelong question of mine and I am up to the cleaning job. If it goes the way it might. Part of me wonders if the initial flash will just pulverize it and cause the sugar to catch fire. This is a question for the soaked dead of winter. Like I said, BBs were tempting, with respect to cheap shot, but my 25 lb bag of lead shot is a much better choice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top