JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know who else doesn't know when they're bleeding and supposedly has a higher pain tolerance? Also, be very careful about pointing your gun at them... or else you'll be in for a lifetime of pain.

-Robert

my son and I were discussing this tonight after watching a TV show where a person was shot in an extremity and fell to the ground incapacitated
2 years ago, I took an accidental discharge to my left hand - a 9mm went through my hand and separated 2 fingers off my hand
I pressed my hand against my side and walked back up to the house - felt no pain - only amazement that my hand was bleeding
as a former combat medic from '69, I advised my son how to care for my hand and we waited 30 min for the ambulance to show up
I sat in a chair on our gravel road for 30 min with my son, had intelligent conversations, made jokes and still experienced no pain
but my wife was uncontrollable and in panic - blood all over the kitchen
pain did kick in about 45 min later
I had seen this in the Military and asked the trauma surgeon about this at Emanuel Hosp
She said my body experienced nerve pain overload and shut down the nerves, allowing the body to still function
I was able to function for 45 min without pain
but she said every person is different with pain tolerance

so - in a self defense situation - how can you expect an opponent to respond after being shot?

View attachment 1185509 View attachment 1185510

You can't really expect or predict here.

Some folks will drop right there with a minor wound...others will keep fighting , with wounds that by all rights should have killed or incapacitated the person.

Never underestimate the will to live....or cause mayhem.
Andy
Only a large gaping exit wound out the back of an opponent's head is a sure instant kill.

Pretty much what the E.R. Doc told ya!
The body can only take so much pain before it ether ignores it, or shuts you down. in 20 years as a P.J. I seen a ton, some traumas that should have ended things right there, and others that left you scratching your head wondering how some one was still functional! Pain Overload is a real thing, the body can only process a certain amount before the nerves cannot transmit the signals and the body simply ignores it. Some times, the body simply shuts down, I.E. you pass out, or you get a major adrenalin hit and your bouncing around like a super ball waiting for the real pain to hit you! Some folk ( Like me) can learn to "Turn it off" somewhat, after all, pain is your physical receptors that signal the brain, and the brain runs the show, thus, you CAN control it if you concentrate enough. I'm told it's rare to be able to ignore pain or to simply make it go away, but it's real, and I suspect it's a part of how ones body is able to process pain!
"Ignoring" pain is the only way you'll make it through many a different Q-course.

I used to write software for a chiropractor and attended various conferences/etc. on spinal trauma/etc.

Nerves can be overloaded - they are chemical but are similar to electrical currents, and there is a max current/voltage that they can transmit, and that the brain can process.

Anticipation of pain heightens its effect.
One day, as I was raising the head of my bed to sit up, I noticed the line going from the pin in my leg to the weight hanging over the end of the bed had saged several inches. Then as I sat there watching it, the weight fell off of the end of the bed. :(

I would guess that people react to pain or suffering in a very individual way and may vary upon the day.

One fine day on the first of a two day dive trip Gymnothorax mordax took issue with my hand placement and took a bite out of me... I registered "someone slapped my hand"...

Did you know that when you are 60 feet underwater that red light is filtered out? And then when you look at your "bad word" there is a green haze emitting... And you think "That was weird". And then you think, "Wait, there are sharks out here"

And then you get to ride in a Baywatch boat to Avalon. Yes, it was a Baywatch boat.! Unfortunately, the boat jockey was male. The sutures were exquisite.

more or less the same way I messed up my left ankle, wheelie on a dirt bike, and got my foot in the back wheel some how, tennis shoes of course
_nc_ohc=VsIllZnw9OMAX-Iew-1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Fascinating thread. I had kidney stones last year that required surgery. I was able to work and manage the pain without drugs. I don't think I am a tough guy, I just think I was lucky. Of course my doc said people with a high pain threshold usually don't seek medical attention until it is too late.. So, maybe not a good thing?

I've seen people get punched in the face and drop unconscious like a sack of potatoes. I assume a gunshot wound would knock most people down. Of course it's all about shot placement. If you wreck someone's wiring and/or plumbing they're not going to be very useful afterward.

Last Edited:
Did you say higher brain function ... ?
In the same thread that you stated you shot yourself ???

I had to throw it out there man:s0045:
no - no, I did not shoot myself, the sheriffs report says so
medical insurance says so
disability insurance report says so
hang fire with bad ammo
accidental discharge
pistol pointed down at 45 deg
mag out
Glock - trigger was back
waited several seconds, nothing happed, then was clearing pistol when it went off

hang fire with bad ammo
accidental discharge
mag out
Glock - trigger was back
waited several seconds, nothing happed, then was clearing pistol when it went off
You put your hand in front of the barrel when you're clearing it?

Fascinating thread. I had kidney stones last year that required surgery. I was able to work and manage the pain without drugs. I don't think I am a tough guy, I just think I was lucky. Of course my doc said people with a high pain threshold usually don't seek medical attention until it is too late.. So, maybe not a good thing? I've seen people get punched in the face and drop unconscious like a sack of potatoes. I assume a gunshot wound would knock most people down. Of course it's all about shot placement. If you wreck someone's wiring or plumbing they're not going to be very functional.
About 10 years ago I had a kidney stone. Worst pain I ever had (including my crushed foot). It felt like someone was kicking me in the side. I thought at first it was a pinched nerve, so I took some Oxycodone I had (ironically, left over from my foot) - that didn't help at all. So after a couple of hours I called my kids at 5AM and asked them to take me to the ER.

The ER diagnosed it was a kidney stone and an XRay confirmed it. They gave me a shot of Dilaudid and that didn't help. Then they put me on a morphine drip. First time in decades that I felt no pain whatsoever - I was happy for about 4 hours. The stone must have passed by the time that wore off.

Just the same - I was able to walk & talk, and I probably could have driven myself to the ER, I just didn't trust that I could and thought it was better that someone else did.

Interestingly, when I burnt my arm badly in 2018 I felt very little pain, even when the ER cleaned the burn.

hang fire with bad ammo
accidental discharge
mag out
Glock - trigger was back
waited several seconds, nothing happed, then was clearing pistol, when it went off
this accidental discharge was covered for weeks 2 years ago on this forum
posting "sick Glock"
it was the consensus of the Glock users it had to be ammo since a Glock can not fail in the manor I experienced, to many internal safeties
the Clark Co Sheriffs Dept concluded the same and they use Glocks
I went to special hand therapy in Portland and they told me they deal with more accidental shootings that never make the news than intended shootings
I guess I'm just the first on this forum to document such an incident

This is why modern pistols have forward slide serrations.. so you can blowed your hand off.
Is that why?!?! I've been using them wrong for years then…. No holes in either hand yet. I'll have to step my game up in the careless "idiot" department.

Or I just neglect to follow a few safety rules. Maybe just blame the ammo or the gun?

Last Edited:
this accidental discharge was covered for weeks 2 years ago on this forum
posting "sick Glock"
it was the consensus of the Glock users it had to be ammo since a Glock can not fail in the manor I experienced, to many internal safeties
the Clark Co Sheriffs Dept concluded the same and they use Glocks
I went to special hand therapy in Portland and they told me they deal with more accidental shootings that never make the news than intended shootings
I guess I'm just the first on this forum to document such an incident
I am glad your hand is doing well, pain and how individuals react differently to it is compelling...
The lesson for me though, is how to safely and properly handle a firearm after a primer strike has occurred and the round did not fire. I have had that happen (many people have) and this story is a good reminder to me to treat that round as "live" until it has been removed from the firearm and properly disposed.
Typically, I place "problem" rounds into a container holding ammo that I plan to disassemble later (I reload)... However, your story highlights that those rounds can discharge at anytime, I need to error on the side of caution and dispose of primer-struck ammo separately.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top