JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington peerless feild over under shotty
Great gun but serial number is crossed through need help
Finding a gunsmith to fix it or re stamp the serial number
Any suggestions where to go? Thanks

The serial number has a scratch through it I checked the shotgun
Through police department and it's not stolen or anything
Just they told me in order to avoid future problems to get it fixed
I can post a pic if that would help

image.jpg

image.jpg

Harbor Freight sells number punch sets for $8.99 1/8" size
Re-stamp the numbers right below the original ones and then file off the messed up ones.
Birchwood Casey Perma Blue to match.

Yours is clearly attempted to be obliterated. All I can say is I'm surprised the cops didn't at the minimum take it from you. It is a felony to alter or posses a firearm with an altered serial number. I would call the ATF and ask them to pick it up. They will be interested where you got it. Be truthful. Anything anyone does to the firearm is only making it worse. (read committing another felony)

The only time a gunsmith can repair the serial number is if it get messed up during the course of work like rebluing where it gets worn off. He can then remark right over it the original number.

From the Oregon Revised Statutes.

166.450¹

Obliteration or change of identification number on firearms

Any person who intentionally alters, removes or obliterates the identification number of any firearm for an unlawful purpose, shall be punished upon conviction by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for not more than five years. Possession of any such firearm is presumptive evidence that the possessor has altered, removed or obliterated the identification number.

And under US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts:

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

I once read an article with pictures describing how the FBI can x-ray a firearm that's had the serial numbers filed off and still read the original serial #'s.
When the metal is stamped it makes a ghost mark into the metal below the stampings.

Those are not just random scratches or a bad day. That shotgun is clearly been tampered with. I would have never bought that thing. I bet it was a good deal. Whether it happens to you or down the line it will be confiscated. I'm betting 100 out of 100 ATF or FBI agents will believe it is obliterated. The only way to know for sure is see if the ATF will do a transfer search starting at Remington based on what you think it says. If they can establish history coming to your area you might be granted a release to repair the serial number. If it doesn't exist then that is still one hot potato.

I would re stamp it directly below the existing ones and leave the original numbers they way they are

Restamp it to what? The old numbers cannot be positively identified. I would take it to an ATF or FBI office and get some advice in writing. A new receiver is hardly the cure. How would you feel if that was your great grandpa's medal of honor gift from Remington and someone was trying to help prevent it's recovery? We don't know who's it was. It may have been something very special to someone.

Usually firearm owners are some of the most honest law abiding people you will ever know. This thread has me seriously reconsidering this belief.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top