JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington Spartan SPR310 12G over under where the weld at the muzzle cracked. I need suggestions on how to fix this. Brazing, soft solder, silver solder? Thanks in advance.

20190210_141522.jpg

You want it to look as new? or just not come undone? You might be able to take a triangle file or a dremel tool and groove some of the crack deeper and then use JB Weld to fix it.

If you do that, be sure to bring the choke up higher by unscrewing it some so none of the jb weld gets into the choke tube threading.

Sell it and buy a better quality gun. Not trying to be a jerk with the comment, but those are known for having lots of issues. You'll be chasing them forever.

thereddog- I dont care if it looks perfect. Just so that it won't come apart.
284guy- Its an excellent shooting gun, just little nuances I need to fix. If I threw away everything that had issues I'd be house-less, car-less, and single. Bout the only thing I could keep is my M&Ps and 590A1.
thorborg- I did see that one but I was worried about heating it up too much and having the rest of the solder melt and pop the rib.

I agree on it, it's one of the only guns i've traded in, almost wish i hadn't, it pointed so well, even people who can't shoot shotgun were successful with it.

Mine needed some extra metal on the lock up after a while, but was otherwise fine. I don't think it would cost too much for someone like @Velzey to repair this for you.

thorborg- I did see that one but I was worried about heating it up too much and having the rest of the solder melt and pop the rib.
If that's a concern you would be correct to avoid the task though some hands on experience soldering 3/4 copper water pipe fittings may embolden you to try. Bear in mind, some polishing and a new finish will be added work / cost any way you choose to do the repair.
If it were mine, I would not find that particular gun economically prudent to do more beyond chancing DYI soldering and a spray coat finish, or maybe ten tight wraps of bailing wire, but Hey, coming from one who's spent a lot of money doing things to guns which either; never will be recouped, or actually decreased their value, comes with a rather large grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Echoing above commenters, Tim @Velzey does indeed know what he's doing.

Problem is that Remington does not support this model since it was manufactured in Baikal, Russia (Only imported by Remington). EAA has taken over support for parts but they are limited too. I purchased a new trigger guard from them and they said it was the last one they had in inventory.

I've had the gun for 5-ish years and bought it used for $200 so not a huge investment. I guess I will try to soft solder it. I'm very familiar with electronic soldering but have never done anything like that on a firearm. If it breaks I will just superglue it back and turn it into an art wall piece.

@Velzey what kind of solder do you recommend?

I have the same gun and like it a lot. Two weeks ago my kids busted the stock badly and i've been looking for one. Let me know if you decide you want to sell the stock, I'd be glad to buy it for a reasonable price.

Problem is that Remington does not support this model since it was manufactured in Baikal, Russia (Only imported by Remington). EAA has taken over support for parts but they are limited too. I purchased a new trigger guard from them and they said it was the last one they had in inventory.

I've had the gun for 5-ish years and bought it used for $200 so not a huge investment. I guess I will try to soft solder it. I'm very familiar with electronic soldering but have never done anything like that on a firearm. If it breaks I will just superglue it back and turn it into an art wall piece.

@Velzey what kind of solder do you recommend?

I have the same gun and like it a lot. Two weeks ago my kids busted the stock badly and i've been looking for one. Let me know if you decide you want to sell the stock, I'd be glad to buy it for a reasonable price.

Kinda like boyz doing yard work... you have one boy, he gets SOME work done. You have two boys = half a boy, they get half the work done. You have three boys = no boy at all, no work gets done. ;)
:D

I am going to keep it and try to repair it when I get the time. If I end up ruining it, I'll let you know.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top