JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I am interested in getting back into trap/skeet, and maybe sporting clays if I can find an opportunity for the latter in the general area. My thinking is to acquire a basic, decent quality over/under type. If I stick with the sports again, upgrade to something nicer. If not, not. (After all, the last couple years have been more than a trifle chaotic; 2019 the most delightfully gonzo fun variety, while 2020 the stuff of nightmares. But I digress. Honk-honk.)

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good, basic 12 or 20-gauge over/under that would fit the bill for the present? Parenthetically, I will be driving around various parts of southern and coastal Oregon in the coming days, so can stop at various vendors whilst doing so.

Thanks. :D

OK, the 101 seems to often go for around $900 to 1k, so it might be a good choice for something that holds its value. Even the Citoris are usually around 2500-2800. If you have any local trap clubs, you might visit and chat with members, there are often some very nice over/under shotguns for sale at clubs, especially at matches.

TriStar makes a decent entry level Over/Under (I'm happy with the one I have). They run about $600 or so. I have a friend that swears by SKB, but they run between $1,200 and $2,000 depending on what model you pick up.

I know it might not be in your back yard but a second vote for Mid-Valley. They have a good selection of sporting shotguns and rentals to try out as well. They also have trap, skeet, sporting clays and five stand so you can play what you want there. (Closed Mon-Tues) I picked up a used Remington 3200 a few years back.

With that kind of budget, a person could get into a really nice O/U and be plenty proud! Fausti make wonderful shotguns, and of course, there is Beretta. Most of the decent Italian shotguns can be found in this price range as well. For American Made, a Ruger Red Label, Browning Citori, Remington Premiere/Peerless, Winchesters all would serve you well!

I have a Remmy Peerless, and it's absolutely flawless, back when Remmy were at the very top of their game and it's a prized firearm in my safe!

Third vote for Mid-Valley ...
I was looking at the Semi Auto Beretta so I ignored the O/U guns Im sure the were some REALLY nice ones there. They will let you step outside and try it.
I was into the Beretta Kick-Off system on their semi autos.
Worth the trip

A Browning superposed, maybe. Well balanced, not too heavy. A Holland and Holland ( if you have an extra 20k not doing nothing, and a few years to wait) just kidding. Maybe a miroku, but I always felt they were a bit heavy and clunky. A Winchester 101. Always found the 682-686 Beretta to be pretty nice.

country... try taking a look at the Rizzini BR110 in 28ga. or if you must...the 20ga.

I've found it hard to resist. Resisting so far, the CZ Supreme Field is a nice one too.
Seems Turkey has the last of really nice walnut wood.
American shotgun Company Kolar? has but stock blanks for $25k?
How can that be?

Last Edited:
Take a look at the Browning CX and/or the CXS models. They come in 12 or 20 gauge with 28", 30" or 32" non-ported barrels and run under $2,000.

When you start hitting the trap/skeet clubs again you will always find fellow shooters that are selling, upgrading clay guns.
IMHO ... the best deals are in these clubs. Most shooting clubs are a fraternity that enjoy helping other shooters. Good Luck in your search.

Browning CX and CXT are the best gun in their price range. Stay away from the Cynergy's and anything out of Turkey. I would also advise you to stay away from the orphan guns (guns that are out of production or that are made as a one off gun that has another company's name on them). Your first question if you are buying new is, do you have a set of firing pins and hammer springs in stock. If they can't have you a set of each with in a week you either buying the wrong gun or from the wrong place.

I saw a Winchester 101 and a Ruger Red Label for sale here in the last week or so, either would serve you well. I've got a Beretta 686, and I love it.

Recoil isn't bad at all. Especially with the ported barrels. I just had to test fire it to make sure it works prior to selling it :)
This is one made in Japan. Fit and finish is superb.

How do you like that 101? I've been on the fence about buying one because I've heard the kick was unbearable. Is yours a newer Belgian or older Japanese?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top