JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've never bought or sold a firearm from anyone out-of-state. Someone wants to buy a rifle from me, and he's a Washington resident. I've had difficulty in narrowing down the exact procedure. Can somebody chime in and/or correct me?

(1) meet at a gunstore/ffl in portland
(2) buyer has background check
(3) buyer pays the background check fee and transfer fee
(4) buyer has rifle shipped to ffl in washington, or can buyer leave with rifle?

as a seller, what am i responsible for? do i also obtain a background check? thanks.

You are good up to #4. With a long gun, he can leave with the rifle after passing the background. If it was a pistol, he would have to then have the FFL ship it to a FFL in Washington or you could meet at a FFL in Washington and transfer there and he could leave with the handgun after the check.

thanks bill.

because i'm trying to calculate the fees (which the buyer will pay), is there anything that an ffl would need from me?

okay, one more question. i purchased the rifle from a private party sale 3 years ago. during the transfer process, would there be any issue given that the rifle's serial number isn't associated with my name?

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Transfer is just to make sure the person getting it is legal to own a firearm.
And in WA they also collect the use/sales tax on the value of the gun and cost of shipping but not on the transfer fee.
The value is not determined by the price the buyer paid either and if there's a question the dealer has to use the State's valuation service and they are usually high to collect more tax.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top