JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This has probably been covered before, but If I (Wash. Res.) bought a firearm in, say Arizona.
Thinking specifically in terms of a shotgun.
All I would have to do is have the dealer ship it to my local FFL , pay the transfer and take possession
when I got back to WA. True, or False ? :cool:

I thought long guns could be bought outside of your "home state" through an FFL in an adjacent "foreign" state, and handguns required being shipped from the "foreign" FFL (regardless if adjacent or not) to your "home state" FFL who then conducts the UBC... since Arizona is not an adjacent state to Washington a long gun purchase would require an interstate FFL to FFL transfer, yes?

The answer is....it depends on the state's laws, at least if you want to take possession of the gun in the other state. Otherwise, I can find no issue with you buying a long gun in another state, then having the FFL ship it directly to your FFL in your home state.

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

I don't know where it is, I tried to find it, but there was a provision at one point where you could buy a long gun from an adjacent state to your own. For example, I live in Oregon, and can legally buy a long gun in WA, I have, several times, and left with it in my hands.

If you're not sure and can't nail the law down specifically, it's simplest (if not more expensive), to have the FFL ship it to your FFL for you.

Last Edited:
This has probably been covered before, but If I (Wash. Res.) bought a firearm in, say Arizona.
Thinking specifically in terms of a shotgun.
All I would have to do is have the dealer ship it to my local FFL , pay the transfer and take possession
when I got back to WA. True, or False ? :cool:
False,just take it with you
*Meaning buy it and take it home.*

I know if I buy a handgun 12 miles away in Idaho, it must be transported by the seller to a licensed dealer here in WA in order for me to take possession. This was explained to me by an employee at Cabela's. He said they do it all the time.

As for a rifle, I think the rules may be different, but I'm not sure. I'm heading over there in a couple days to actually look at a couple rifles, so I'll find out what the process is at that time.

I know if I buy a handgun 12 miles away in Idaho, it must be transported by the seller to a licensed dealer here in WA in order for me to take possession. This was explained to me by an employee at Cabela's. He said they do it all the time.

As for a rifle, I think the rules may be different, but I'm not sure. I'm heading over there in a couple days to actually look at a couple rifles, so I'll find out what the process is at that time.
Simple shnit,I've bought there before I lived here.
Pick a long gun legal for you to own in your state,do the paper work,wait for the check to process,take gun home.
Try not to look at other departments while doing so.
Gets costly:eek: :D

Yeah i was my understanding that long arms are good to go, take possession, drive home, get coffee, just be mindful of state laws. Handguns must be either purchased of transferred in your state of residence.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top