JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shooting paper is just not very satisfying with a shotgun.

Other than steel and edible items (disallowed at ARPC) what are people shooting at with buckshot, slugs, and other high brass loads? I'm thinking 20-30 yards.

+1 on clay pigeons. Super cheap targets.
I find the clay targets are probably the most rewarding shotgun targets when destroyed. The bright orange and then sudden.. not orange makes it easy to spot hits.

Depending on what your club allows, a flipper is pretty fun with a shotgun. Depending on the size, it can be very challenging depending on how many rounds it holds.

Again, depending on club, adding movement can be enjoyable. Lay 5-10 clays on the berm and move from 1-3 locations while engaging.

Shot clock. These make boring range sessions much more interesting as you can see if you are improving or not.

Shot clock. These make boring range sessions much more interesting as you can see if you are improving or not.
The shot clock is a good idea.

I haven't tried shooting clays with buckshot, only low brass stuff, i.e., #8 and #9 target loads. But I suppose I could build up a little mound with many clays.

I enjoy shooting buckshot and slugs but I have yet to find a reactive reusable target that makes sense. Maybe I will invent one. Last time I took a bunch of old empty containers of laundry detergent and shot those. The whole bay smelled like a clean shirt afterward.

The shot clock is a good idea.

I haven't tried shooting clays with buckshot, only low brass stuff, i.e., #8 and #9 target loads. But I suppose I could build up a little mound with many clays.

I enjoy shooting buckshot and slugs but I have yet to find a reactive reusable target that makes sense. Maybe I will invent one. Last time I took a bunch of old empty containers of laundry detergent and shot those. The whole bay smelled like a clean shirt afterward.
gain-flings-laundromat-small-3.jpg

Flying clay birds are your best, most challenging target.
Clay birds are the scattergunner's life-long challenge while blasting stuff is fun for a few minutes.

Last Edited:
With my double barrel I like to shoot under a can with the first barrel to pop it up in the air then hit it with the other barrel while in flight. No reason a slug couldn't be first and buckshot second.

Last Edited:
I think old TVs, CRT PC monitors and Propane tanks are pretty popular targets.

Least that's what I would find commonly when going out in the woods to various shooting spots before they got closed down.

Shooting paper is just not very satisfying with a shotgun.

Other than steel and edible items (disallowed at ARPC) what are people shooting at with buckshot, slugs, and other high brass loads? I'm thinking 20-30 yards.
We used to use a Frisbee.
They were cheap and had nice flight characteristics...AND...they're reusable.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews